Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Red_Heat

steampunk mechanic (need help and ideas)

Hello, I just recently built a steampunk cosplay out of thing I had in my closet and I was wondering how I would be able to complete it. I am going for a mechanic type of character and I was wondering what else I woulneed to complete the look. Is there anyone that is willing o lend some advice?
Red_Heat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Do you have pictures of what you have so far so that we can give advice?
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Red_Heat

I will be posting them to my face book tomorrow morning, if you have one here is my link and add me. I will send it to you through pm.
Unread 07-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

You can just put your link in this thread to share with everyone so that you can get lots of opinions. But one thing I can say is, if you are going to make your character a mechanic, look at the tools they would have used in the late 19th and early 20th century. You can mix those in with some modified, punked tools and have them in a cool tool belt or something of the sort. Being a bit greasy can always help too.
Unread 07-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
Red_Heat

alright here is my link to my page for my steampunk cosplay

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...045.1523296010
Unread 07-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

You might want to dirty up the outfit. If it was me, I would probably rough it up to, to make it look worn out. Gloves would be good. Some heavy ones that you would actually handle machinery with. As I said before, you should have some tools on you so that you actually look like you fix things. This is the type of costume that I actually say you should have some goggles and cogs on you. You would want to wear the goggles to protect your eyes while working as a mechanic and then you could have cogs on chains or in pouches so that they could be used to fix things. Don't just stick them to the clothing though.

I just woke up so my mind isn't working quit yet. So if I think of other stuff, I will let you know.
Unread 07-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
GlassCannon

I agree with Mehdia. Definitely dirty up the outfit, definitely add tools. A tool belt would go a long way communicating the mechanic vibe. Goggles may be overdone in some circles, but mechanics definitely have a valid reason to wear them (which is part of the reason they got so popular in the first place).

The key to any good steampunk outfit is to imagine yourself as the character. Imagine what sorts of things your clothes would be exposed to on a regular basis. Imagine what sorts of tools -- real or punked -- you would want to have on hand to do your job. What kind of a mechanic are you? Airship? Motorcycle? Home aether repair? How did you get the job? What sort of environment are you working in? Is it dangerous? High class? City? Exotic? Hot, cold? The head mechanic for a luxury dirigible cruise line will have a different look and different tools than a seat-of-his-pants mechanic for a rag-tag group of airship pirates.

The more you can imagine the sort of person this is, and reflect their personality, work, and environment through your clothing and props, the deeper, more interesting, and "better" your steampunk outfit will be.
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Abaddon - As Time Goes By dress (Supernatural) - 90%
GlassCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCannon View Post
I agree with Mehdia. Definitely dirty up the outfit, definitely add tools. A tool belt would go a long way communicating the mechanic vibe. Goggles may be overdone in some circles, but mechanics definitely have a valid reason to wear them (which is part of the reason they got so popular in the first place).

The key to any good steampunk outfit is to imagine yourself as the character. Imagine what sorts of things your clothes would be exposed to on a regular basis. Imagine what sorts of tools -- real or punked -- you would want to have on hand to do your job. What kind of a mechanic are you? Airship? Motorcycle? Home aether repair? How did you get the job? What sort of environment are you working in? Is it dangerous? High class? City? Exotic? Hot, cold? The head mechanic for a luxury dirigible cruise line will have a different look and different tools than a seat-of-his-pants mechanic for a rag-tag group of airship pirates.

The more you can imagine the sort of person this is, and reflect their personality, work, and environment through your clothing and props, the deeper, more interesting, and "better" your steampunk outfit will be.
Love the suggestion of getting to know the character. I always think about it, but forget to tell people they should too^^

So yeah, like GlassCannon said, get to know what kind of character you are and where you come from. That little bit can take you a LONG way.
Unread 07-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
Ironhill

I haven't seen the pictures because I'm not on facebook but the adding tools for a mechanic is always a good idea. I've seen other people make 3 foot long wrenches out of plywood or axe handles. These are the kind used on steam locomotives (I'm a train buff also). Not only is it a tool but you can use it as a club if anyone messes with your engine.8)

For my gentleman inventor I have a wrist guard I bought at the Ren Faire. I added a leather strap over it and have a couple wrenches and screwdrivers added to it.
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Red_Heat

I just need an idea on what material I should use to build a 5 foot monkey wrench. It is an inside joke with me and my friends in one of our rifts (the table top not the online) game. I used a mechanic and his main tool/weapon was a five foot monkey wrench.
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
WolvenDragon
Fear the evil Jackalope!

Foam rubber?
WolvenDragon is offline   Reply With Quote