Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 10-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
ArcaneSpringbrd

What kind of reactions do crossplayers get?

Just for curiosity sake, what kind of reactions do you get from other con-goers when you're crossplaying? What about when you're outside of the con?

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Scarlett O'Hara prayer dress
ArcaneSpringbrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
ImNewHere
The new guy.

In the con, normally good, outside of the con, I've gotten mixed reactions. I stay near the con, like within a block while crossplaying.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
meb9000

I agree with ImNewHere. I've crossplayed twice now for a couple of cons, and the environment is generally very inviting, but I wouldn't go parading around too far from the main con areas. I've seen a wide array of crossplayers, some not even attempting to be passable, and most people don't bat an eye. In both of my crossplay attempts, I've gotten positive reactions and people genuinely excited to get pics!

Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney series)

Weiss Schnee (RWBY)

Chitoge Kirisaki (Nisekoi)

Yukino Yukinoshita (Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU)
meb9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #4
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Outside the con, in the con, on the forums, off the forms...good, bad, people that loved it, people that thought crossdressing was the worst thing that society ever brought forth in the history of man, but eh....

Who cares. I do what I want.
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:35 AM   #5
LJSDaughter

I've got nothing but positive reaction from the people who notice that I'm a guy (which as a joking jab towards my masculinity is not as many people as I thought) as well as my friends/family/coworkers.

As for people on the street outside of the convention, I've never really got anything from them lol.
Planned:
Kyoya Ootori (Ouran High School Host Club) (50%)
Future Cons:
Pacific Media Expo 2013 (Los Angeles, Ca)
Places you can find me
https://www.facebook.com/TheLumberjacksDaughter
http://thelumberjacksdaughter.tumblr.com
LJSDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Peniokio

I've never fully dressed up I usually have normalish clothes (stockings garter shorts and long sleeved top) but with a wig and contact lenses and draw my eyes like anime like anastasiya spagina (think that's how u spell it :3) and I've had mixed reactions my wig is 120 cm long and I've had little kids running up saying how is your hair like that and touching it and wondering about my eyes some thing it's cool others are scared but I've even had one person tell me how she found my look different in a good way and that even though she wouldn't dress like that herself she complimented how she would love to have enough courage to dress how she wanted and not care !! I have had someone shouting mean things tho -_- but idk :3!! Btw if anyone is from South Wales please contact me x
Peniokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Reilala

Inside the con everything usually goes well. Outside the con I've been hit on and groped in my Celty....pretty funny when you take off the helmet to yell at the person XD
Reilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
belligerent
Viking Metal

I get called "sir" a lot and people do a double-take when I have to hand over my ID when buying alcohol.

I pass pretty well so there's only a reaction if I tell people or do something to otherwise indicate I'm crossplaying.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Khorrupt

I think the concept of crossplaying is what gets a reaction -- not the actual act of doing it unless something like a voice pitch gives it away.

People usually just assume that I'm a man at conventions, and so, like belligerent, I get called "sir" as well, but that's usually when I just smile and nod, because I know it would make some people uncomfortable if I mentioned otherwise (as I was on the receiving end twice when I first started cosplaying in general.) I think the only other time it's been strange is when I was talking to a girl at a con, and I think that she thought I was a man as well, because she was very outwardly flirting with "me." I had to offhandedly mention that "I'm a big fan of crossplay but sometimes making myself look like a man is hard" and she turned that flirting off immediately.

The only issue I ever have is that I HATE making people uncomfortable and it happens now and then when you crossplay.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~Princess Aurora [ Blue ] (Sleeping Beauty) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Swiftstart

I'm afraid i'm going to have to be the party pooper, I've only done it once at a con and I got mixed reactions. I wore my colonial Jack Frost get-up to a local con in my area and for the most part people were fun and so on but at one point when I was waiting in line for a panel to start, this guy, very loudly stated, 'Why is it that all Jack Frost's are genderbent?' and he proceeded to complain, very loudly about this for the next couple minutes and I didn't have the guts to say anything so I just tried to ignore him.
Thankfully a homestuck cosplayer came to my rescue and not only told the guy that genderbending is different from crossplay but that he was being a jerk

But that's my only bad experance, the rest of the day have been fine :3
Unread 10-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
ZeRO-LESS-
(눈_눈)

I don't get any reactions...Maybe it's too obvious? Or maybe people don't notice/care.
Hotel staff did mistake my gender once, and I wasn't even cosplaying!! No wig, no makeup, no flamboyant costume, just me eating breakfast. P:

.:Currently working on:.
Nothing until after New Year's... (・_・;

Σ(゚∀´(┗┐ヽ(눈‸눈)ノ
ZeRO-LESS- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
laughingdeath
sexier than you

Normally I get positive reactions and compliments for how well I do open chest binding and stuff like that. Lots of people are really interested and ask questions about the techniques I use.

Unfortunately there are also the people that think they're your parent or some kind of modesty cop and start lecturing you about how you 'barely pass the dresscode' and how a 'stray breeze' could cause a 'wardrobe malfunction' because you're a female despite being more covered than a large portion of the men at the convention...

I'm sorry, was that bitter? Can you tell I'm bitter? Yea.
Roxas - Kingdom Hearts 2
Cloud - Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children
laughingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #13
shonen_jidai
Ganbatte minasai!

For the most part, I usually get pretty good reactions. I guess I pass well enough that people are usually surprised that I'm a guy. But I'm usually careful not to reveal that fact to random dudes on the street who show too much interest in me.
parent's guide
shonen_jidai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
Ilafatyu
That guy

I don't pass because I'm wicked short. Everyone knows I'm trying to crossplay, and nobody cares.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

I have had some good and some really bad experiences. Since i am technically transgender I do it mainly to be the real me and cons are one way to be me without issues. The biggest problem I have had is after the con when taking public transit home. I cant drive with my medical issues so i am forced to take public transit and the three times since reverting back to me again it has all been very bad. Try taking public transit as a sweet Lolita lol

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote