Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Makeup/Eye Contacts Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 99 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #151
mewtwo2222
Hayley Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdatum View Post
Getting pretty much...anything to stick to your palms is just about impossible. In the film industry, it is almost only ever done for quick close-up shots. Characters are either designed with natural palms, or they wear gloves or glove-type prosthetics. You can do this too. Get some nice tight fitting nitrile or latex gloves, wash the outside with warm soapy water and let dry, cut off the rolled edge around the wrist, paint it with enamel paints as desired. tack down the edges to the wrist using pros-aide. Stipple the seam with your makeup of choice to camouflage it.
Oooh this is a great idea, thanks! Why enamel paints, though? I would have thought that they wouldn't dry flexible enough for use on gloves/hands?
And any ideas on the armpit problem? Usually it wouldn't be much of a problem but with cosplaying Wii Fit Trainer I find that way too many of my poses seem to expose my armpits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-nay View Post
My face started to crack at the end of the day after lots of smiling and talking, but was easily fixable with touch-up paint. For removal, I purchased an adhesive remover for pros aide. Unfortunately, the remover didn't really work at all. I ended up just busting out a hard bristled brush and some body soap to get it all off.
I would definitely recommend using a creme makeup for the face and leaving PAX for the neck down, just to avoid the wrinkling and cracking on the face. It does mean touching up every now and then, though. I'd recommend Ben Nye Creme foundations.

Also as far as remover, did you use isopropyl myristate? That was what I was using, and at first didn't feel like it was working. I got real success with it eventually though, I found the easiest thing to do was just massage it all over the bits of me that were painted, leave for about five minutes, then jump in the shower and scrub it off with a regular exfoliating pad
mewtwo2222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #152
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Enamel paints polymerize into a sort of plastic film that is very flexible. They also bond very tightly to most surfaces. Lacquer paints tend to be much more brittle. Water-based Acrylic paints are usually nice and flexible, but they aren't as good at adhering to surfaces.

One thought to your armpit problem would be to try applying a couple different types of lubricant to the surface after painting. I haven't tried this, so I can't say which would work best. Possibly a silicone oil such as found in certain specific...ahem..."personal" lubricants. It would cause that area to be glossier, but it would reduce friction, which is what causes the flaking. Keeping the area constantly powdered would have a similar effect. This is why gymnasts and pool-players alike "chalk" their hands (it's more often talcum powder these days). You could potentially produce a tinted powder by mixing a tiny amount of pure cosmetic pigment and mixing it up, and this might reduce the chalky appearance it would produce on the surface (assuming you aren't already painted white). I've never tried this though.
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #153
Jeskamaree

Not sure if this has been covered yet, but did you use the PAX on your face? I'm mostly concerned about eyelids and such.
Also, so all it is is just liquid adhesive mixed with acrylic paint? You said you used a Michaels brand; so I can just buy the adhesive and mix it 50:50 with any kind of acrylic?
Jeskamaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #154
linkistheman

Hello, I am needing to do a full-body paint for a cosplay. I need to get a ash-like color; whitish-gray. I've never done body painting before, so I just need to make sure I get everything right before I start my online ordering.

Basically, you're saying that I need to order the PAX, then the acrylic, and then mix the two before applying? I need to go ahead and order the paint because I need to be painted at the end of August!!

Thanks for your advice

-Rachael
linkistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #155
Ragornak

This thread is what turned me on to PAX, I am wearing a Richard costume from Looking For Group at the end of august. It has white hands and arms along with a dark blue/black tunic. I was going crazy trying to find a way to paint my arms without white rubbing of on my costume until I found this! Thank you!
Ragornak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #156
Alutaps

Does anyone know if PAX covers tattoos?
Alutaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #157
verdatum
Extremely registered user

It can cover tattoos, however, you have to do a decent amount of stippling and layering of many different colors in order to make it look natural, like the surrounding skin tone. This takes a fair bit of practice. Otherwise, you are left with a big blotch of skin that just looks flat and artificial. Granted, this is true with every tattoo concealment method.
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #158
jobarbaro

PAX and Cream Makeup Transition

Thanks for all the info, this is very educational

I'm doing Minerva Mink from Animaniacs and need to do a full coverage white makeup on my legs and upper torso/face including arms (basically everything the strapless dress doesn't cover). I'm interested in PAX because that is a lot of exposure and I don't want to get makeup on my dress or others, or have to touch up. However, I'm concerned about the reptilian appearance and/or wrinkling, especially on my neck. She's supposed to be a soft animal.

Would it be possible to have a smooth transition between PAX and a cream makeup, perhaps just below the collar bone or similar location? I know color match has been brought up, but if I'm just going with pure white, maybe it wouldn't be so hard? Would it peel and would there be a definite edge to the PAX?

Also, any links to a supplier for the Alcohol Activated makeup should I decide to go that route?
jobarbaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #159
iani_ancilla

I read about armpit problems with pax in this thread, and I have a question.
I sweat very easily, and not just in the "usual" places. Arms, neck, shoulders, cleavage, back... all the places where paint peeling / sweating off would look terrible, that's where I sweat.
Is pax a bad idea for me, or does it resist (a lot of) sweat? If so, any suggestions? Should I just figure out a way to make arm socks work for me?
iani_ancilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #160
Amaranthx
~rain~

I'm wondering if the powder effects like color? If I use a white baby powder on a possibly dark green, will you be able to see it? Is there a way to prevent it?

Nevermind, I actually did find it after rereading.
I'm going for a reptile look, so would PAXs texture actually be better for me v.s. a smoother paint?

Last edited by Amaranthx : 10-15-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Rereading
Amaranthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #161
bgramm

I'm doing a full body coverage costume and bought latex. After reading this I'm thinking I should have done more research before purchasing the latex. What is the pros and cons between the two?

Here is the image I'm working off of.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...1243008861.jpg

Last edited by bgramm : 10-20-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Added link
bgramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #162
Crystalsetsuna
Crazy Beardie Lady

would this be a good idea to do a spatter on my arms and legs? i intend on cosplaying as a Silent Hill Nurse, and of course want something every bodypainter wants: something that will look great, real and not rub off anywhere.

PAX seems like a fantastic idea, but does it do well with splattering on the skin? and what kind of powder would you recommend for blood colored PAX? red or a clearish powder?
Crystalsetsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #163
heathuhrene

which is the best pax remover, the Telesis Super Solv youmentioned, or the pros aide remover?
heathuhrene is offline   Reply With Quote