Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 09-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
ebermudez

loocking some tips for gaining weigh

hii!!

ok, I know many people are lloking tips for losing weigh but I need to gain more weight.

now I'm around 50 KG and i'm 175 CM so i need arround 10 kg more xD

Of course i'm not pretending gain all the weight in a week or something like that, but my dotctor says I have to eat normally and normally doesn't work. If anyone knows any tips i'll apreciate the help.

Aditional information: my blood analysis swows i'm fine of everything. No health issues and i don't smoke, drink alcohol and nothing like that.
ebermudez is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Antifreeze

If you want to gain weight you need to do two things. The first is to eat a TON of food. Healthy food, I would recommend eating meat, lots of protein and stuff like that.

Next you should do some strength training. Lift heavy weights, I recommend doing the Strong Lifts routine. Also most importantly cut down on cardio a bunch. That will help you burn less calories.
Antifreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
konekoanni

Basically what Antifreeze said: eat clean, eat big, and lift heavy. Cardio is good for your heart and longevity, but it won't help you gain weight, so cut back and stick to HIIT-type mixed in with strength training. I'm not a lifter myself, but some good beginner resources are Starting Strength and 5x5 StrongLifts.

Find out what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is using an online calculator like this one, and then eat 300-500 calories MORE than that while lifting. A good way to introduce extra calories and protein are protein shakes. You could potentially do what they call a "dirty bulk" by eating junk food when you lift, but I don't know if that would work out well as a beginner.

Gaining muscle is slower than losing fat, but if you stick with it, I'm sure you will see results! I know there are a few people on here that are lifters, hopefully they will chime in and be able to give you more concrete advice, since I'm more of a cardio person myself.

Kiryuin Satsuki [Kill la Kill] 100% - AX 2014
Classic Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon S] 100% - AX 2014
Nuriko [Fushigi Yuugi] 35% - AX 2014
Super Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon SuperS] 60% - PMX 2014

ACP | blog | facebook | deviantART | tumblr | worldcosplay
konekoanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Bovice

My personal favorite is a pyramid scheme; starting light with high reps. Slowly moving up, working towards a 1-3 rep max. Then working back down (to failure) the pyramid as you started.

Covers your high weight low reps, low reps high weight, and everything in between. It's pretty taxing though, so I stick with that style of training once a week per body part (I workout each body part twice a week), then I wing it for the other. Sometimes its 5x5; sometimes it's 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps, etc.

Pretty much what konekoanni says. Calories in vs calories out. Eat more and you'll gain weight.

One mistake I see often are people with small stomach capacities, so they eat till they're full and think they eat a lot of food when they're really only eating a little bit. They're like "oh yea, I eat so much" then they come to a buffet with me and get demolished by miles. (I have a rather large stomach capacity myself; can pretty easily put down 6k calories in one 30 min sitting; haven't pushed that further to see what I can do in one day for obvious reasons. Going for 7% body fat before the new year, etc.)
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
ebermudez

thanks of everybody.

Now I know how to begin The goal will be gain 10 Kg more I'll eat more and do some exercise

Thanks ^^
ebermudez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Libis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antifreeze View Post
If you want to gain weight you need to do two things. The first is to eat a TON of food. Healthy food, I would recommend eating meat, lots of protein and stuff like that.

Next you should do some strength training. Lift heavy weights, I recommend doing the Strong Lifts routine. Also most importantly cut down on cardio a bunch. That will help you burn less calories.
Exactly. They would always tell me that I was 20lbs underweight. I never understood how they thought I would have to/be able to gain so much until I did an outdoor summer job which involved heavy lifting 40 hours/week. Before that I was thin, but had little teeny bits of pudge since I didn't exercise a ton, and I ate slightly more than most people do--having a somewhat high metabolism. After I gained 20 lbs, I was actually thinner and tighter, having built that much muscle weight. A year later, I've lost 10 of those lbs and am at an in-between stage where I should probably go back to lifting lots of heavy things lol.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Yukinari

need help in this department. What would be considered carido? would kung fu be considered Cardio? (plez! not my kung fu!O_O)
Yukinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
lemuries

Among all that great advice, I didn't see one thing: the concept of energy-dense foods.

Because I need to lose weight, I need to avoid energy-dense foods. It only makes sense that you should be looking for ways to include them.

The idea is that, for the same physical volume taken up, some foods have more calories than others. Whereas I might need to eat a 100g of lettuce, you might eat 100g of nuts. The doctor was clear, though: you need to eat normally (aka have a healthy, balanced diet). But you have options about how you get your RDA of fats, carbohydrates, and proteins.

If you are eating to fullness and not getting an excess of calories, your food choices may not be very calorie-dense.

Googling "energy-dense foods" should give you more hints on how to make your diet work for you, but here's one link to start you off: http://www.livestrong.com/article/32...y-dense-foods/

Let me finish by saying, although processed foods and junk foods are calorie-dense, please don't go down that road. You will only trade one problem for another if you put that garbage in your body!
lemuries is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Bovice

Yes, and no. It is cardio, but from doing Kyokushin Karate, there is definitely time for breaks between drills and such, so while it is a great supplementary source of cardio, I personally wouldn't use it as a primary/sole source of cardio.

Aka, keep doing kung fu, it's great, but still add additional cardio to it.
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Viveeh
necrocarnival

I'd like to gain about 10 kg, but I haven't gained or lost any weight for like 6 years... Also, I can't eat much, I get full with like five mouthfuls. I wonder if there's any easy way to do it or if it's even possible. DX
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
David07

Exercise and healthy food are very important to improve health and fitness. Eat fresh fruits, vegetables, yogurt, red meat, drink green tea, fruit juices and plenty of water. Go for walking, running, cycling, practice push ups, bench press and chair squat. It improve mood,make strong bones and muscles, boost energy, improve health, heart functions and improve fitness.
website

Last edited by David07 : 10-12-2013 at 08:01 AM.
David07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
ty520

Also consider your source of calories - you should aim for about 15% more calories than you need for maintenance, as konekoanni suggested, but it is important that most of these calories should come from protein - don't just shovel whatever you find into your mouth to fulfill your caloric requirements. If you plan to do some serious heavy lifting, shoot for at the very least, 1 gram of protein per pound body weight, but I would even suggest shooting for 1.3 grams.
ty520 is offline   Reply With Quote