Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Others

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

MAGFest 2014

My favorite little con is back on January 2nd. And while I usually keep MAG free of cosplay, I'd thought I'd switch things up and bring some stuff. Looking at Booker Dewitt (Bioshock Infinite), something from Saints Row, and possibly something from Resident Evil. Aside from that, drinking/concert/games. What about the rest of y'all?

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Seven
(Neoqueenhoneybee)

This will be my second year at MAGfest and I'll be bringing Streets of Rage 2 Blaze, Streets of Rage 3 Soozie (generic villain), and perhaps Pokemon Trainer Black/White 2 and (hopefully) a secret cosplay (depending on the time I have left to make it...).

Last year I did Streets of Rage 3 Blaze and it was so much fun!!

Working On:
Leen (Grandia)
Goku Nami (One Piece DBZ Crossover)
Nico Robin (One Piece Water 7)
Elesa (Pokemon B/W)

In Queue:
Mei (Pokemon B/W 2)
Panne (Fire Emblem Awakening)
Illumi (HunterxHunter)
Janice (Chrono Cross)
Mir (Ar Tonelico)
Toph (ATLA Old Friends)
Solid Snake Lolita (Beat Down Boogie)
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
NatureMade
Entity of Insanity

Probably just Sol Badguy [GGXX] and Date Masamune. Try and stick to video game-ISH characters for the time being. I'm also going to be staffing so probably won't be dressed up most of the time xD
Unread 09-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
This will be my second year at MAGfest and I'll be bringing Streets of Rage 2 Blaze, Streets of Rage 3 Soozie (generic villain), and perhaps Pokemon Trainer Black/White 2 and (hopefully) a secret cosplay (depending on the time I have left to make it...).

Last year I did Streets of Rage 3 Blaze and it was so much fun!!
Do you have a Streets of Rage 2 Axel? If not, that's all the reason I need to make one!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 09-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
Seven
(Neoqueenhoneybee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Do you have a Streets of Rage 2 Axel? If not, that's all the reason I need to make one!

We will have a full SoR2 group, if everyone comes; Max, Skate, Axel and Blaze. Here's hoping they all come!

You should totally make SoR cosplay regardless!! SoR Needs more cosplay love!

Working On:
Leen (Grandia)
Goku Nami (One Piece DBZ Crossover)
Nico Robin (One Piece Water 7)
Elesa (Pokemon B/W)

In Queue:
Mei (Pokemon B/W 2)
Panne (Fire Emblem Awakening)
Illumi (HunterxHunter)
Janice (Chrono Cross)
Mir (Ar Tonelico)
Toph (ATLA Old Friends)
Solid Snake Lolita (Beat Down Boogie)
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
zepson
Heir of Dance

I'll be Rucks from Bastion on one of the days. probably Friday or Sunday i think.
Otakon: '10, '11, '12, '13 ||| Anime North: '11, '12 '13 '14 ||| Baltimore ComicCon '12 ||| Anime USA: '11, '12 ||| Ichibancon: '12 ||| Katsucon: '12, '13 ||| Tigercon '11, '12, '13 ||| Magfest '13, '14 ||| Nekocon '13

2014 planned cons:
Otakon, Baltimore Comic Con, Tigercon

Current main cosplays:
Green Arrow(DC Comics), Kronk(Emporers New Groove), Blue Heavy(TF2)
possible future cosplays:
---
zepson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
Ghai

after comparing some, my group is looking like we'll be hitting up Magfest instead of Katsucon next year. It just seems like it'll be a more fun experience overall. Anyone able to do a comparison for me?
Ghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
CountMetal
I GOTTA BELIEVE!!!!!!

I had a blast at MAGFest this year and wouldn't mind going next year. Problem is that I might be overseas during that time. If I end up going, I will reprise my Adventure Hero or Kensou (KoF XIII).
CountMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghai View Post
after comparing some, my group is looking like we'll be hitting up Magfest instead of Katsucon next year. It just seems like it'll be a more fun experience overall. Anyone able to do a comparison for me?
Let me tell you why MAGfest is better:
1) Slightly older crowd.
2) Post New Years, which means the hotel won't be double booked with something else.
3) Cheaper badge/cheaper hotel rates.
4) 24 arcade/tabletop/game room.
5) Really, really laid back atmosphere.

I <3 MAGfest. It's no PAX, but it doesnt try to be, and it definetly works out towards the show's advantage.

Unread 10-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
poskii

How is MAGFest as far as cosplay goes? I've heard many great and wonderful stories but I've heard a couple horror stories. I went a while ago and only recalled seeing two cosplays the entire weekend.
poskii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
Ghai

Buying our tickets next week! Looked more into it, and my fiance practically demanded MAGfest over Katsu lol. Whole group is actually a bit more excited for MAG's focus on gaming and music over a giant cosplay event.
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by poskii View Post
How is MAGFest as far as cosplay goes? I've heard many great and wonderful stories but I've heard a couple horror stories. I went a while ago and only recalled seeing two cosplays the entire weekend.
There's some, but not a ton compared to Katsucon. If you are a cosplayer though, its better to shoot at MFEST than Katsu b/c the gaylord will be empty in comparsion

Quote:
Buying our tickets next week! Looked more into it, and my fiance practically demanded MAGfest over Katsu lol. Whole group is actually a bit more excited for MAG's focus on gaming and music over a giant cosplay event.
Correct focus is correct.

Unread 10-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
poskii

Quote:
Same!! Although, I am going to cosplay, I am much more looking forward to all the games and guests. I'm not a big fan of music. Although I did have to go see the Earthbound Papas and Nobuo Uematsu. <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
There's some, but not a ton compared to Katsucon. If you are a cosplayer though, its better to shoot at MFEST than Katsu b/c the gaylord will be empty in comparsion
I see! I've never been to Kastucon although many people have recommended it. Yes, I've noticed that from the last MAGFest I went to. I was more so wondering if cosplaying it 'accepted' there. I've only heard one horror story where someone was touched (a helmet they worked very hard on was thrown to the ground and broken) but most of them were just people being downright rude. I tend to ignore people like that but if there are a lot of people who are like that there, then I'll probably forget cosplaying this year there. I really don't know if that is what they are like towards cosplay though. I mean, I went last year with no cosplay and I only met one jerk while everyone else was really laid-back and nice!
poskii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by poskii View Post
I see! I've never been to Kastucon although many people have recommended it. Yes, I've noticed that from the last MAGFest I went to. I was more so wondering if cosplaying it 'accepted' there. I've only heard one horror story where someone was touched (a helmet they worked very hard on was thrown to the ground and broken) but most of them were just people being downright rude. I tend to ignore people like that but if there are a lot of people who are like that there, then I'll probably forget cosplaying this year there. I really don't know if that is what they are like towards cosplay though. I mean, I went last year with no cosplay and I only met one jerk while everyone else was really laid-back and nice!
My wife and I NEVER had a problem when we were in costume at MAGfest, so no worries on that front. I know the Cosplay Rost can get a little brutal at times, but it's a roast, so it's kinda expected. But the MAGfest cosplay scene is growing, and it's nice overall, just be careful come night time when the attendees begin drinking and get a little rowdy.

As for Katsu, I went for nearly a decade straight, and am done with that show. They've done a fine job of upsetting management, and this past year was kinda a mess.

Unread 10-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #15
Ghai

So, more importantly... Has anyone had any luck getting a room for MAGfest this year? You can only reserve the room for one night at the Gaylord it seems, and the marriott across the street only has king sizes as well =\.