Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 10-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
tmunzwolf
The Rookie

Any good workout plans?

Does anyone have any good workout plans that they use regularly? Something that I can do at the gym or at home that doesn't cost over a hundred dollars to use?

Unread 10-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

What are you goals?

Upcoming Convention:

Anime California 2014 (Will be holding panel, "Posing for Cosplay Photos")
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
tmunzwolf
The Rookie

Main goal is to tone my body up and get rid of that soft stuff around the middle.
Unread 10-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

My body type is sort of Bruce Lee-ish. Toned, lightweight with an emphasis on power-to-weight ratio. I originally got my physique in high school wrestling. Since then I've focused on other martial arts with weight lifting and calisthenics on the side.

My regular(ish) routine at home is basically high intensity interval focused.

I use this home total body calisthenics + weights workout when I'm super short on time that day and can't do focused workouts:

Upper Body- Push ups (clap or normal) to burnout (usually around 60-70)
Abs - 30 bicycles to pre-fatigue the abdominals and then leg-up crunches to burnout (usually 50ish)
Arms - Medium weight dumbell curls OR overhead shoulder presses to burnout (usually 10-15ish)
Legs - Squat jumps to burnout (usually 15-20)
Back - Supermans to burnout (usually 10-20ish) OR mountain climbers to burnout (usually 20-30ish)

Rest for 3-5 minutes. Repeat 1-3x. Entire workout lasts anywhere from 6-15 minutes for me. What it lacks in length I make it up with intensity with lack of rest and hard and fast reps. I always have to take a shower right after these lol. I like to modify the exercises for the third set, like say, switching to closed handed pushups, or doing the shoulder presses one handed and pylometric style.

I feel like the key really is just the burnouts and the lack of rest in between. You won't bulk up with this kind of workout (or calisthenics in general), but it'll definitely get you toned and increase your functional power capacity. For a while I could ONLY do this workout for like two or three months and I kept my definition just fine (usually around 8-10% body fat).

One last thing is that I've found the Nike Training Club app for the iPhone pretty impressive. Ignore that it's targeted towards women, lol. It's some really good and creative workouts and the timer and ability to play music while you workout really gets you going and makes it fun.

Good luck!

Modified Push Ups: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-HDEsKukAg
Bicycles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FGilxCbdz8
Leg Up Crunches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUXFNH7Hr7A
Overhead shoulder dumbbell presses: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-aVuyhvLHU
Mountain Climbers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyeZM-_VnRc
Squat jumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVaEhXotL7M
Supermans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI9JS4E0tes

Upcoming Convention:

Anime California 2014 (Will be holding panel, "Posing for Cosplay Photos")

Last edited by WonJohnSoup : 10-17-2013 at 12:41 AM.
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
tmunzwolf
The Rookie

That's extremely helpful and in depth, I used to do workouts like this a couple years ago but I have a terrible memory and I'm not good with pocking out workouts on my own
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
minniee

Here are further workout routines especially for an at-home training: at home routines
I do a lot of plyometric and calisthenics exercises. A special advice is Fitnessblender's Youtube channel.
minniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
chupachan

Might wanna keep an eye on your eating, maybe clean it up a bit. It can help give you the energy to keep up with your workouts. Mad props to WonJohn, follow his lead and you should be off to a great start.
chupachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Joethehappydog
Uncalled for Man!

It's a shame that Askscooby is down- the_wolf came up with some pretty gnarly routines at the time... If you really want to, like, lift, then I'd recommend that you try doing a fullbody workout 1-3 times a week, with 2 or 3 exercises per major muscle group, and do 3 sets of 10-12 reps per exercise. As for exercises, I think you should stick with basic exercises and perhaps a few isolation exercises as well.

My deviantArt: JoeyBizToast

お尻の筋肉を締め、ええ!

Working on:
-Nier (NieR Gestalt)
-Bigby Wolf (The Wolf Among Us)
Joethehappydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
Antifreeze

What is your fitness level right now? Also what is your diet like?
Antifreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
ShiroiOji

I'm doing Insanity at home, and I was able to DL it for free. I'm seeing really fast results with it; I'm going on six weeks and loving the changes!
ShiroiOji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
cosplaynewb11

how did you DL insanity for free?
cosplaynewb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
POOTERS

sixpackshortcuts videos on youtube

The vast majority of them require no equipment, and are great cardio/weight loss routines.

Next: Anime Central(5/2014), FanimeCon(5/3014), Anime Expo(7/2014)
POOTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
ty520

I think you need to consider a more detailed goal.

To be brutally honest, there is no such thing as "toning up."

I assume you want to shed fat and build some muscle, but not bulk up.

You need to calculate your calorie maintenance, then cut about 15% of those calories (+/- 5% based upon weekly results) to cut fat.

In order to build muscle mass, you'll want to up your protein intake.

Also, body resistance exercises (push ups, etc.) will only take you so far. If you're looking to build some serious definition and mass, you need to really push some weight, especially if you're going to be cutting cals at the same time.
ty520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Antifreeze

So... are you going to the gym or staying at home? The plans that I can offer are much different based on where you work out.

I have always been a fan of do one thing than another when it comes to fitness goals. Over the last 9 or so months I have been trying to put on muscle. Now I am switching gears back to burning fat. The diets are fairly different for both. If you are looking to tone up, I recommend that you focus on a weight gain diet for a while and build some muscle, then change to a weigh loss diet to burn off the fat. Of course your goal is to burn fat and maintain muscle mass. You have to be careful on a weight loss diet because you will lose muscle as well.

As for workouts, if you are going to the gym, I always recommend StrongLifts. IT is a very simple easy set of workouts that are easy to follow. Sadly that is the only program that I really know of. A lot of programs that I read online are kind of vague. Regardless you should be under weight and lifitng heavy.
Antifreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
tmunzwolf
The Rookie

Wow I got a lot of replies, and I mainly go to the gym, it's just really inconvenient for me to work out at home