Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 10-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
xcvi
xcvi

Unhappy Not seeing the results I want.. what can I do?

Ugh, I've been working out and eating healthy diligently for the past 6 months.. I feel like I'm starting to lose motivation and I'm not seeing the results that I want. I'm 17 and 5'2" my starting weight was 105lbs and my current weight is 102lbs. I'm not really looking to lose weight since I'm pretty petite.. I just want to lose fat and gain lean muscle. I mean, my body HAS changed since I began.. I look a lot more fit and I get compliments on it all the time.. but I want to go above and beyond that.. I WANT GIRL ABS

It also doesn't help that I was sick for the past three weeks and unable to exercise.....

Normally I eat completely clean (except for the past three weeks) and additionally I'm a vegetarian. So I'm already taking care of what I eat.

Since I'm just starting back up with my routine again I feel like it's time to start fresh and stop doing the old stuff. I do everything at home since I don't have a driver's license OTL. I have a treadmill, a bench but nobody to spot me, and a few dumbbells of various weights.

I find that it really helps me to have someone guiding me through the routine so I usually go find things on youtube but I'm getting tired of that.

One thing I'm curious about is p90x? If you put 100% effort into it will you actually get ripped? Has anyone completed it and seen good results? I'm willing to work really hard for this! Does anyone have a really good, intense home workout that they like? I've got plenty of time to fit in a workout so if it's 2 hours.. even better! I'm just feeling so stuck right now and I need improvement!

Also... is there an existing before and after/results thread? Could someone link me to it? I think it would be really motivating!

Thanks!
xcvi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Bovice

6 months isn't long at all. Took me 3 years to get where I'm at and every year I look at the photos from the year before and am like "damn I was out of shape last year" even though at that time I felt like I was in the best shape of my life.

It takes time.

Also, what's your routine look like?

Edit: I don't think there's a before/after there, but I do believe there was a before/after thread, but not 100% sure

Edit 2: I'm currently at higher body fat than in the second pic, but in June was in the best shape I was ever in (don't have that pic on hand right now) headed back to lower body fat though; but here's a pic of before/after

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/...58195630_n.jpg

Last edited by Bovice : 10-17-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
lemuries

It sounds like your body has gotten used to the exercises you do, and has plateau'd. Changing up your routine is what they recommend to overcome a plateau.

I can't answer your question about P90x because I'm still at P90-kicks-my-butt level, but it's started to change a friend's body (he is going through the program with a buddy). I had to take in his Boba Fett ammo belt two inches

There is a "my insanity journey" thread on here that you might find inspirational. My understanding is that Insanity is for folks who need a step beyond P90x. Maybe that thread will tell you whether it is right for you.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
ITNerd2005

Tone your body, do cardio kickboxing, anything cardio as long as you work hard for it you will see results. I don't drink any protein drinks or take any supplements of any kind. You just have to work harder.
ITNerd2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

What regimen are you doing and have you changed it up? And if you're 17, you might look into wrestling if your high school has it. Just for me personally, it gave me a six pack right quick and I've never lost it since then and I'm waaayyy out of high school haha. I never had to cut weight during high school at all but even I dipped down to very low body fat percentages during comp season.

Upcoming Conventions:

Comikaze 2014 Will be holding panels on Posing for Cosplay Photography! Contact for limited photoshoot bookings.
Blizzcon Contact for bookings!
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Drazhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
It sounds like your body has gotten used to the exercises you do, and has plateau'd. Changing up your routine is what they recommend to overcome a plateau.

I can't answer your question about P90x because I'm still at P90-kicks-my-butt level, but it's started to change a friend's body (he is going through the program with a buddy). I had to take in his Boba Fett ammo belt two inches

There is a "my insanity journey" thread on here that you might find inspirational. My understanding is that Insanity is for folks who need a step beyond P90x. Maybe that thread will tell you whether it is right for you.
Hola, creator of the thread in mention.

They're IMO equally difficult options, but P90X relies more on external gear where Insanity uses only your body weight.

Could always give Focus T25 a shot, 25 minutes a day 4 days a week and 50 minutes a day on one day of the week. Supposed to be real good.
Drazhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
xcvi
xcvi

OH! I'm a girl by the way, don't think I mentioned that C:
I know that I certainly want to work myself more than I used to.. so I'm totally up for the long haul workouts. I want it to be really difficult too, but doable. I think I'm fit enough to take on either p90x or Insanity.. but more likely p90x. Hell, maybe I'll just do both!

Yes, I've certainly plateaued.. even though I've switched up my workout about every three weeks like one should.. I think it just needs to be more rigorous. I'd also like to be getting SOME sort of exercise each week.

Today I tried a HIIT incline routine for the treadmill.. I never ran at an incline.. but I could do like 5 miles at a mix of 5mph and 6mph.. I could probably do more but I would get bored after so long. I did the second routine mentioned on this page and it kicked my butt even though it only does about 2 miles total:
http://upgradingmelissa.tumblr.com/p...rkout-routines

I did it all but I was only able to do the incline of 12 at 4mph for about 3 minutes but I'll be working on that. Is this a good place to start with HIIT or would it be better for me to just stick with trying to run 5 miles?

Exactly how effective is HIIT and would I benefit from it? I know Insanity has a lot of it.

I just want to choose the right thing and be able to see more results! I was so happy with how things were going before. Does Insanity and p90x switch up to make sure you don't plateau or is it up to you to keep that in check?
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
ITNerd2005

Oh, you are 17... :x
ITNerd2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
Ilafatyu
That guy

Here's the thing. It's really hard to get visible abs if you're a girl. In addition to the muscles being toned, you have to have a really low body fat percentage. It's more difficult for a girl to build muscle, too. Being a vegetarian, I don't know how much protein you're getting, but you need a shitton to build muscle. Running isn't going to build muscle. Pushups and situps and dumbell lifts will build muscle.

Don't think that exercise needs to be lifting a dumbell, either. Lifting computer monitors/towers at my internship gave me arms of steel. If you can cut firewood/carry giant bags of leaves/whatever, that's just as good as sitting there moving a little weight around. Not so pretty or journalable, but effective. I think martial arts is a great alternative to lifting weights. It doesn't give you bodybuilder muscles, but it's a commitment toward overall fitness (and that self defense thing doesn't hurt, either). The beef I have with bodybuilding is that it focuses on the aesthetic and the reps, not actually being strong in any useful application. It costs money, though, and you need to get a ride if you don't have a car.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:41 AM   #10
Drazhar

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/...age-men-women/

Just gonna point you hear so you can read about the potential major side effects of low body fat on women.

Though I will say that P90X and Insanity both switch things up, different amounts of time.

Insanity is month 1, recovery week, month 2

P90X is three phases, can't elaborate further as I haven't bothered with it.
Drazhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
lemuries

You rock, Drazhar!
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
xcvi
xcvi

I was doing a lot of strength in addition to running and slowly decreased the days I ran to twice a week. I was actually seeing some, just a little, ab definition. I don't want to get ripped and get a dangerously low body fat level, it's not a good look anyway! I'd like to go a little lower though, I just want to be more toned. As for proteins and nutrients, I have a good quality protein supplement, however, I'm slightly unclear on exactly how much of it I should be consuming.. I've just been doing one scoop all this time. I also live off of beans and other protein rich vegetarian foods. I get a lot of calcium as well, through yogurt but mostly spinach and broccoli. Should I be taking in more protein? I've heard that if you have too much it can be counter productive and your body can store it as fat.

Oh, and thank you guys so much for all the feedback!
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
lemuries

I tend to think that calorie tracking is for modifying your weight, and nutrient ratios are for modifying your body composition. I use a "high-protein, low-fat" ratio coupled with a calorie deficit because I am not only trying to lose weight, but I am also trying to reduce my body fat%.

I use myfitnesspal not only to track how many calories I eat, but whether I'm eating too many carbs or too much protein (usually fat is not my problem). Because I'm dieting, if I don't get a LOT of protein, my hair starts falling out and my nails get brittle. If I don't eat enough carbs, I get absentminded and lethargic. I tend to eat between 140 and 180 grams of protein a day, primarily from soy protein powder and secondarily from lean meats or egg whites. I have been losing 3lbs a week and my body fat % is going down too.

Therefore, I think the only way taking in too much protein could lead to stored fat is if you are taking in more calories than you are using up.
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
chupachan

My recommendation: HIIT first thing in the morning, an additional round of strength training later in the day, adequate stretching, and plenty of sleep (probably more than you think you need). Drink nothing but water and cut out all unnatural sugars, for example if you are having yogurt eat it plain, not flavored (lots of label reading).
However given your age, I advise proceeding with extreme caution. Your body is still growing and changing, and pushing yourself too far or injuring yourself could leave you with life-long consequences. Be careful and best of luck to you!
chupachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #15
CHIBI-Chii

Get the bullet and try juicing it gives you more vitamins!Research veggies that have higher protein. Don't hurt yourself I'm sure your still growing and you don't want to mess up your matablism. Give yourself a break it sounds like ou are in the best shap of your life enjoy it!!!! XD
I Believe in the Power of God to use my Imagination for His Glory.
CHIBI-Chii is offline   Reply With Quote