Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #61
Kelley
Devil of Details

What kind of jacket, though ?

There are walkthroughs on-line on how to draft a suit jacket - although there are patterns you can buy for that, too.

There are also tutorials for how to draw a body bock - which is just a you-shaped thing that you can turn into anything else.

I started making patterns on my second costume - I don't think it's super amazingly advanced - and I'd encourage you to give it a shot since it's true that there aren't a lot of great men's patterns and it's always helpful to learn a new skill !

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #62
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

I know what you mean about there not being a good selection of men's patterns >:| Luckily I've been blessed with 36 27 36 measurements and altering women's jacket patterns for myself is a BREEZE. Even for other body types it isn't quite as difficult as you would think, but it is not simple.

What pattern companies have you tried? Vogue, Kwik Sew, and Burda definitely have much more men's options than Butterick, McCall's, and Simplicity.

I'm still also not 100% sure on what type of jacket you are looking for. Maybe if you show us some photos we can be more helpful?
Aqua's Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #63
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Well, the sort with a zip down the front, pockets, and maybe an inside pocket (like the one I'm holding up in this photo, as well as the bulkier grey one I'm wearing). I was hoping to make something in between the two in the photo (a more lightweight topside than the grey one, but bulkier than the tracksuit-ish one, and with a lining).

I've already drafted a tunic from scratch...but I've never really done anything with a lining or a zip, so I'm not really confident doing it that way.

If it helps, my measurements come out as roughly 34.5-32-35 (based on some ones I used for said tunic, so I know they're about right). =P

EDIT: This appears to be the grey jacket in a different colour, since the photo's not too clear.

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.

Last edited by Bisected8 : 10-18-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Bisected8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #64
Kelley
Devil of Details

There should be patterns for hoodies or track jackets out there (that you could easily work with/modify) - I know people have been linked to them for various costumes, but I've never used one.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #65
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

Would any of these work? None of them are lined though, but you normally wouldn't line something like that.

http://kwiksew.mccall.com/jackets---...pages-3344.php

To be honest some of the more commonly used pattern companies have patterns like some of those jackets too, but Kwik Sew has a much better fit.
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #66
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

http://kwiksew.mccall.com/k3815-prod...p?page_id=3344

That one might work. I'll see if I can find it more locally (I was hoping for something which could use a woven fabric for the entire outside, but this should be close enough).

Unread 10-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #67
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

If you are okay with the unisex patterns, you could always try these too. They are made for woven fabrics.

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m553...hp?page_id=103

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m525...hp?page_id=103

Last edited by Aqua's Rhapsody : 10-18-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Unread 10-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #68
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Those appear to be made for fleece-like fabrics, not woven ones.

Well, I've managed to find the one I mentioned, so I'll wait for that to arrive and see how it goes.

Unread 10-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #69
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

Sorry, woven wasn't the right word that I was looking for. What I really meant to say was that the patterns were not made for stretch fabrics like the KwikSew ones. Sorry for the confusion; that is what I get for posting later in the evening lol.

Either way, I hope that the pattern that you got works out. Good luck!

Last edited by Aqua's Rhapsody : 10-19-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Unread 03-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #70
MaggieBob

If you need assistance sewing your costume, consider joining your local chapter of the American Sewing Guild. Go to www.asg.org to find the guild chapter closest to you. If you have difficulty, you can contact me at info.denverasg@aol.com . Think you are not ready to join a sewing guild? Oh not true! We have all levels of expertise, starting with those who have not yet sewn a stitch to those with incredible expertise.
MaggieBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #71
lexijillian

I can't seem to find a pattern for Medli's dress from LoZ Wind Waker. It seems simple enough to do without one, but it would be much easier if I could find one.
lexijillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #72
DeAnna Designs
Gypsy Dream Studios

Medli dress

Try this tutorial: http://www.elleapparelblog.com/2013/...orial.html?m=0

You can google search "simple shift dress pattern" or "free dress sewing patterns" and come up with all sorts of stuff.

Good luck!
DeAnna
I am a professional costume designer so your project will be completed with the best details and materials possible for your budget. You will feel all powerful and fabulous wearing a Gypsy Dream Studios costume. It will fit you and be comfortable. Please check out some other costumes I've made here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1023768600595.2004201.1416633832&type=1&l=b b156d1e1b

Thanks!
DeAnna
www.gypsydreamstudios.com
http://gypsydreamstudios.etsy.com
DeAnna Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 05:23 AM   #73
coscosplay

dimension method

1. The head circumference: from the forehead on the ear, through the largest head circumference, light around the cross head circumference. Vertical head circumference from the left side of the neck points around the top of the head to the right side of the neck size is usually not measured, even clothes do you usually do.

2. neck around neck root through the left and right side neck point, neck point, seventh cervical point around a week before the root for the neck, it is basic the litter size.

3. The bust: a week around the chest, through the chest high, level measurement, by volume in natural breathing.

4. The waist: the finest point at the waist circumference amount for a week.

Maximize. Hip circumference: in the hip circumference, level around a week.

6. The hip circumference: around the thigh root level around a week. This is used for testing horizontal fork width size, normally not measured.

7. Wrist circumference: the finest point light around the circumference of the wrist for a week, is the reference size of cuff and cuff.

8. Arm circumference and arm rhizosphere: arm circumference is the thickest upper arm, this is a small cuff, fat and short sleeve cuffs reference size. Arm root is one of the arms and torso connecting line circle surrounded degree. Besides adjust minimum sleeve cage as a reference, is generally not measurement.

9. The ankle circumference: around the ankle measurement for a week. In small openning used, normally not measured.

10. Knee circumference: in the amount of light around the circumference of the knee, nuclear size, normally not measured.
coscosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #74
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHanabira View Post
I've been using patterns for a couple of years, and I have to say, what a wonderful tutorial! Very in-depth and insightful!

I recently had to deal with the trouble of the hip/waist ratio and overall body type not being at all realistic for the pattern I was using (the Green Pepper leotard pattern is the bane of my existence; who has a 38" bust with only 30" waist and 40" hips?! And that's their largest size?! I know I'm using a skating pattern, but I don't have the figure of an ice dancer!). I am SO GLAD that you went into a bit of detail about that, I hope that it will save a few people of some unpleasant surprises!
My hips are 38, but other than that, your pattern would fit me perfectly. :P
But that's ridiculous that they don't make larger sizes! Leotards are a form of athletic wear, and many athletes are larger!

Currently working on:
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Tumblr: http://justacrazedfangirl.tumblr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #75
MaiCosplay

Redacted-solved-

Last edited by MaiCosplay : 05-30-2014 at 11:33 PM.
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote