Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 10-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Mongrel
Nobody

Frank N Furter

So I couldn't find any previous threads on this character. I'm trying to make a Frank N Furter costume since the "Halloween" costume that I bought ended up being a real piece of sh*t.

Soooo, any tips on how to make his top/corset/vest? Will I have to add boning at all or would that be superfluous? I have black pleather at my disposal, so I assume I'lll use that for part of it, at least. But the fabric has a bit of stretch, so how to keep it nice and "stiff"?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-B9CTn1pjnC...9f65o2_400.jpg

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...81-936-576.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OEA9qa16jX.../400rocky.jpeg

Also, I have never worked with sequins before. Is there a nifty tutorial someone knows about off-hand? I'll look that up soon. Or if there's a trick to make the sequin process quicker and easier, that would be much appreciated, of course.

Thanks for reading!

Kristoff (Frozen)
The Master (Doctor Who)
Timon Gijinka (The Lion King)
Genderbent Rapunzel (Tangled)
Prince Philip (Sleeping Beauty)

Upcoming Con Status
MTAC
Colossal Con
Dragon*Con
AWA
Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

The vest doesn't look boned, just really, really fitted to the point that there is absolutely no ease left in it. It's a good thing your pleather has stretch.

I'd start with a very plain shirt pattern that fits around the neck and shoulders, and just fit the shit out of it until it was snug. It will be a lot easier to fit it if you have a friend to help you out while your mockup is on you.

You could look specifically for stretch patterns (either 4-way stretch or 2-way stretch, depending on what your fabric is), it would make your life a lot easier. Kwik-Sew is usually the pattern company I go to for stretchwear. They have a few that are plain shirts.

And on an aside, do not work straight away with your pleather. Make your mockup out of something cheap and disposable, then make the real thing. I know, there's not much time left before Halloween, but it would suck way worse to fit with the real fabric, royally mess up, and then waste it all.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

Pretty sure it's a taffeta or satin, not pleather. It's actually a corset worn backwards and I did put light boning in mine so it wouldn't wrinkle. It depends on how much you care - of you just want a costume or if you want to get as crazy as RHPS people get about costumes.

It was my first costume and we used E6000 for the sequins. If I did it now, I would sew them but you probably don't have time.

I modified a pattern but now I'd just draft it. You can make a body block and use it for this super easily. You can also use an old t shirt and use duct tape to accomplish the same thing - then you'd just draw the pattern on while wearing that - there are tutorials for it online.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Mongrel
Nobody

Thanks for the responses!

Okay, so if I were to add some light boning, where would they be most helpful? I've never worked with boning before (I can easily look up a tutorial on how to sew them in, but just not sure about placement).

As for material, I'll have to think on that. It's not pleather, but that's what I have on-hand. May go out and look for some taffeta and use a combination of the two.

Thanks again, guys!

Kristoff (Frozen)
The Master (Doctor Who)
Timon Gijinka (The Lion King)
Genderbent Rapunzel (Tangled)
Prince Philip (Sleeping Beauty)

Upcoming Con Status
MTAC
Colossal Con
Dragon*Con
AWA
Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote