Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 284 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #976
Ravena
Ravena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ░Valkyrie░ View Post
So I'm planning on making a Victorious Janna Cosplay. http://www.lolking.net/models/?champion=40&skin=4

I just can't seem to figure out what fabrics to use for the pants. I was thinking of using a spandex fabric but I can't seem to find the right color. What fabric would you recommend using? any color suggestions?
You might be able to find some coated denim/fake coated denim, or even use a pair of coated jeans/leggings in the right shade and doctor them, removing the unwanted belt loops/pockets. That's the only material I can think of that's going to be suitable and flexible like the ref pic. Maybe in a dark indigo (denim type, not actual color) or charcoal wash.

Unread 10-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #977
FyreHeart

Hey people!

So looking to possibly do a Fire Emblem: Awakening cosplay of Miriel.

Preferably I'd like for the material on the hat and the outfit itself to mesh together well. If I make this costume, the general form of the hat would probably be made out of a bendable wiring and the fabric would be slipped over it.
FyreHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #978
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

The cape for this:

Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #979
VioChan
Cupcake enthusiast

I'm trying to find a fabric perfect for Flow flow's Dress and I'm having a bit of trouble. :I I think a structured yet lighter fabric would be best so it would have some movement but not fly up obnoxiously. She has a futuristic theme so I'd like to stay true to that. Any suggestions?

VioChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #980
i<3FlynnRide

I want to start off with something simple, so I'm thinking for Briar Rose's peasent outfit... black felt for the corset part and.. I want something that spins out a bit when I twirl but..not something hard to sew...

i<3FlynnRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #981
ZeroLAN

Suggested material for Mako's spats? My goal for them is to be form fitting to my legs while still be fairly durable when worn (especially on the underside of my foot).

ZeroLAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #982
Midi
Just Another Madokami

Could I get a suggesstion on what to do for an Aoba cosplay?
I won't be making his jacket anytime soon, but I do want to make his legwarmer things, which would pretty much be the same fabric as his jacket. I have no idea what to use and this is my first time trying to make something. If anyone could suggest me something and also a place to purchase it from would be great.

Midi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #983
ninana
(chrissyplaysdressup)

Hello,

I am planning on cosplaying as Cardcaptor Sakura in her iconic OP1 dress. I know how to make the petticoat but I am stumped on the fabric for her dress/bows/bonnet and also the gold trim. I want it to feel expensive, cute and well suited for magical activities, but, at the same time, her super rich friend has made this dress for her out of real world fabrics. I think the way it drapes and moves with the petticoat should be taken into consideration so I'd like to know the best weight fabric for this. I will definitely be using horsehair braid.

I'm also wondering what kind of lace should I use for the ruffles? Maybe a delicate eyelet?

Thanks!

Beladonna Baggins: 90% done, wearable

AWA 2014
Cardcaptor Sakura: 50%
Sailor Chibi Moon: Patterns drafted (maybe next year x0)

Princess Adrienne from Princeless: Planning
Titanfall Pilot and Titan: Planning
ninana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #984
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

Personally I would probably use Poly cotton Poplin or Cotton Sateen for the dress and then for the shirt I would use cotton sateen or poly cotton twill. The gold trim I would probably make my own by using fabric and cutting out the shapes I would need to make Seamless Applique work I would probably use metallic vinyl and top stitch it...if that isn't an option you can go for the golden trim that is sold by wrights and use that instead and third option if you want some good sheen is to use fabric paint. For the hems on the shirt that look like eyelet I would just use my sewing machine to create a satin stitch in a scallop shaped hem which would encase the edge of the fabric...however if your machine cannot do that then there are many eyelets, laces and trims you can use to substitute this finish. You will probably want both a lightweight and midweight interfacing for the various bows and other accessories, and for the hat, if you aren't looking to make a fitted felt skeleton yourself, find an old hat you can build off of, or use foam to make a cylindrical shape and drape the fabric on it until you're happy.

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninana View Post
Hello,

I am planning on cosplaying as Cardcaptor Sakura in her iconic OP1 dress. I know how to make the petticoat but I am stumped on the fabric for her dress/bows/bonnet and also the gold trim. I want it to feel expensive, cute and well suited for magical activities, but, at the same time, her super rich friend has made this dress for her out of real world fabrics. I think the way it drapes and moves with the petticoat should be taken into consideration so I'd like to know the best weight fabric for this. I will definitely be using horsehair braid.

I'm also wondering what kind of lace should I use for the ruffles? Maybe a delicate eyelet?

Thanks!

Unread 11-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #985
ninana
(chrissyplaysdressup)

Very helpful, thanks so much! I think I will go the matte route for the dress and blouse, but I often see references where the red bows are shiny so I'll use the sateen there. Metallic vinyl option for the trim and shop around for some eyelet lace/trim... but I think in the end I'll try to get a better sewing machine this christmas that can satin stitch designs (or satin stitch at all XD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigogami View Post
Personally I would probably use Poly cotton Poplin or Cotton Sateen for the dress and then for the shirt I would use cotton sateen or poly cotton twill. The gold trim I would probably make my own by using fabric and cutting out the shapes I would need to make Seamless Applique work I would probably use metallic vinyl and top stitch it...if that isn't an option you can go for the golden trim that is sold by wrights and use that instead and third option if you want some good sheen is to use fabric paint. For the hems on the shirt that look like eyelet I would just use my sewing machine to create a satin stitch in a scallop shaped hem which would encase the edge of the fabric...however if your machine cannot do that then there are many eyelets, laces and trims you can use to substitute this finish. You will probably want both a lightweight and midweight interfacing for the various bows and other accessories, and for the hat, if you aren't looking to make a fitted felt skeleton yourself, find an old hat you can build off of, or use foam to make a cylindrical shape and drape the fabric on it until you're happy.

Hope this helps
Beladonna Baggins: 90% done, wearable

AWA 2014
Cardcaptor Sakura: 50%
Sailor Chibi Moon: Patterns drafted (maybe next year x0)

Princess Adrienne from Princeless: Planning
Titanfall Pilot and Titan: Planning
ninana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #986
La_Polilla

I'm doing a Black Canary cosplay, and I'm trying to figure out what I should make her bustier/leotard/suit thing out of. In some pictures it's super shiny like pleather but in others its a little more muted like a satin. Which do you think would look better?

Ref 1
http://www.greenarrowtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Ref 2

Last edited by La_Polilla : 11-10-2013 at 05:36 PM.
La_Polilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #987
ayanokogi

Hi people!!! So my girfriend wants to do a mafia jinx cosplay, but we do not have any idea of what do the dress of her is maked. So please help! If you have any idea of what fabric it is, it would help us a lot!
Thanks.
ayanokogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #988
sephiroth120

I'm planning on making a Devil Kazuya cosplay but I'm stuck on the legs. His legs are "furry" but not so furry like a satyr or a faun. I was thinking of using purple carpet and hotgluing it to some tights, but I realized the carpet would probably tear/pop out if I bent my knees. Are there a better way to do this or another alternative so I can get the same detail as in the picture below? Any help would be greatly appreciated <3
sephiroth120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #989
ashton214

Carpet fur?

So I'm planning on making a Devil Kazuya cosplay from Tekken Tag Tournament 1, but I'm stuck on the legs. His legs are "furry" but not as furry as a satyr or a faun. I was thinking of hot gluing purple carpet to some tights, but I'm pretty sure the carpet would pop out/tear if I bent my knees. Is there another fabric I could use that would give me the same level of detail or a way that would make the carpet stay in tact? Thank you for reading C: pic is below.
ashton214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #990
usagimon

Hi everyone!

I`m going to cosplaying Valerie from Pokemon XY.

This is the first time I`m making my own cosplay, and I`m determined to do a good job.
Any fabric suggestions? I don`t want to make poor decisions and end up having a cheap-looking cosplay.
I`m a little stumped for the sleeves. Should I do yellow/black fabric paint on pink fabric? Or...?

Also should I make the middle part a corset or a part of the dress?
A corset would probably be more uncomfortable to wear and also more difficult to make (especially since I`m a newbie to start with), but I don`t know what would look better/true to the outfit.
usagimon is offline   Reply With Quote