Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Exclamation Working with stretch/elastic fabrics

If you have experience with working with those fabrics you surely know how hard can they be to make or modify, have you ever had any difficulties with them? What's your experience?

I'm currently modifying a stretch shirt for a Takuto costume and every part I cut end being shorter what I thought I was since it was stretched before cutting it and I didn't realize XP

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 100%
Leo (Barra - Homesport Deluxe (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 50%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-

Last edited by Maurishio-kun : 10-24-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Emrys

What kind of item are you cutting up? A full body suit?
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

I love working with stretch fabrics! Because it usually means that I don't have to be perfect; it'll usually end up fitting to my body as long as it's close enough. The only drawback is that I have to be extra careful running it through the sewing machine because the shapes can get warped sometimes. But more often than not, it works out.

I'm actually contemplating buying some stretch faux suede for my Zhurong costume, even though I already spent money on regular faux suede. The only material I can get shipped here to Japan is pretty pricey, but I feel like its flexibility will save me so much trouble. I'll work with what I have first, though.

In Progress:
  • Sailor Star Healer (Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars)
  • Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
  • [Secret Project]

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Khorrupt

I've only used stretch fabric for my Blue Beetle suit, which is entirely made of lycra, and personally, I've only had good experiences throughout the construction. There were mistakes, but they were unfortunately more related to my not paying attention rather than the unease of stretchy fabric...

The armour like shoulder/knee pads were done plushie-style, and I'll tell you that it takes a lot of stuffing to make stretchy fabric look full.

Also, like sooyong pointed out, it leaves a lot of room for anatomical error. I made the hips of my BB suit a little small, but...because its stretchy, you wouldn't know if you didn't. That part is nice when I wear it with no hood or binder and I can just be female Blur Beetle, and my chest doesn't feel crushed or constricted, because the fabric just stretches.

So...I like it

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~Princess Aurora [ Blue ] (Sleeping Beauty) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
jukebox
role models > supermodels

Spandex is actually quite fun to work with, in my opinion. If you're having trouble, make sure you're using a zig-zag stitch and check the stitch width, length as well as the machine tension.

I used lycra for my Miranda Lawson and sewing was definitely the easiest part of the process. Drafting the patterns was actually a lot more challenging!

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

One of the things to keep in mind is that you need a specific needle and thread for these fabrics. I know for Spandex you have to use a Stretch needle because a regular needle will tear it to shreds. You also need a stretchy and elastic thread as well such as Polyester.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: 15% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
KitoCosplay
Formerly C0rvu51nku8a3

I once tried using 2 morphsuits for a Lord Raptor cosplay. I was going to wear a blue one over a red one. I thought if I cut the shapes out of the blue morphsuit to show the red morphsuit underneath for his arms and abdomen, it would work out. Well- It didn't.
KitoCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Synaster

^would a fusible interfacing have helped before you cut the pieces, or would there be some weird tension lines because part of the stretchy fabric doesn't stretch?
Synaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
KitoCosplay
Formerly C0rvu51nku8a3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaster View Post
^would a fusible interfacing have helped before you cut the pieces, or would there be some weird tension lines because part of the stretchy fabric doesn't stretch?
Fusible interfacing- you mean sewing the 2 morphsuits together before making the cuts?
KitoCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote