Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1108 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #451
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosplayNeko View Post
Sorry if this question has already been asked, but this is a long thread and I didn't see the question in the stickied posts.

The first pair of circle lenses I bought were pretty tricky to get in my eye and seemed to move quite a bit when I blinked. So much so that I could show people the contact roll back up onto my eye. Is this normal and should I be concerned? I bought the size that my doctor said should be fine.
Contacts will naturally move/slide a small bit if you blink or make fast eye movements but they should not be "rolling back up onto your eye" unless that is an exaggeration. It could be that particular pair of lenses or the brand. Sometimes circle lenses are a little flatter in base curve than advertised due to larger diameter than what you might normally wear (sometimes up to 15). That said, they should be no more difficult to get into your eyes than regular lenses. What is your base curve and what lenses did you get?

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #452
Skyzhema
former DeJerk cosplayer

A note to Hydrogel lens wearers-the brand "Pure Moist" by OptiFine is a really good solution and cleaner to use. I've used it for over a year now with no issues, and it is safe for the lenses. Particularly for those wearing prescription lenses, it will ease the care of them a bit.

Also, check the Optometrist's for specials. Mine offers free care stuff for your birthday, which I picked up today :33

Also, never leave lenses in overnight. I've gotten eye infections caused by irritation from doing this. REM and contacts do not mix!

I am allergic to cosplay makeup.
I use wax- and cabbage-based makeups I handmake. In the dorm kitchen.
I also can't use hairspray-it makes me break out.
So if you see me in cosplay without makeup, or with too little or too much, just understand that the options I have don't always turn out well, or turn out too well.
Thanks!

Last edited by Skyzhema : 09-11-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Skyzhema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #453
Kratos99
Boo! Wait, you're dead.

So, say I have a 8.7 Base Curve and a 14 Diameter.
Would I be able to wear 8.6 with a 14 diameter with ease/fear?
Unread 10-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #454
LunarTears

my prescription says that I have a base curve of 8.15 (right eye) and 8.25 (left eye) for contact lenses RX. Does anyone know where I can purchase opaque blue contacts with a base curve close to it?
LunarTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #455
Amethyst Nat

Question: I wear prescription soft plastic oasys brand contacts. I'm too short sighted without them. I am curious about costume color contacts for my cosplays.
So, my question is, is it possible to wear non prescription prop contacts over normal prescription ones?
Amethyst Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #456
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst Nat View Post
Question: I wear prescription soft plastic oasys brand contacts. I'm too short sighted without them. I am curious about costume color contacts for my cosplays.
So, my question is, is it possible to wear non prescription prop contacts over normal prescription ones?
There are many colored lenses in prescription available [0.00 up to 10.00 is the most common range]. Unless you have an extreme situation, e.g. insanely bad vision or high astigmatism, there is not much reason you would need to piggyback your contact lenses. Piggybacking or layering your contacts, is one of those "Only to be done under doctor supervision" things. When in doubt, consult your optometrist for further details and they can give you trial colored lenses to test out and/or order or direct you to appropriate colored lenses to fit your needs.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Unread 01-17-2014, 05:29 AM   #457
nerdeebirdee
Dee

I have two questions!

I wear prescription contact lenses for daily use. They're the daily disposable type. First, do I have to get another appointment with my eye doctor if I want to wear lenses for cosplay? And, related to the first question: is there something I should know about wearing reusable cosplay lenses as compared to the disposable lenses I am used to?

Thanks for the help!
nerdeebirdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #458
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdeebirdee View Post
I have two questions!

I wear prescription contact lenses for daily use. They're the daily disposable type. First, do I have to get another appointment with my eye doctor if I want to wear lenses for cosplay? And, related to the first question: is there something I should know about wearing reusable cosplay lenses as compared to the disposable lenses I am used to?

Thanks for the help!
You are likely current with your prescription of daily contact lenses so an entire appointment for fitting etc. might not be necessary. Since you do not have to clean your normal lenses you will need a cleaning solution for the colored lenses you want. Your best bet is to consult the doc about a solution that is going to be OK for your eyes. I have used Opti-Free, Biotrue, and Aosept/Clear Care but these may not be ideal for your eyes so it is worth asking, better safe than sorry.

That said, cleaning and storing lenses in general is not difficult but actual steps will depend upon the cleaning solution you use. Aosept/ClearCare is a peroxide-based cleanser which basically nukes lenses clean, no rubbing required. There are many no-rub solutions too. Optifree and Biotrue which I mentioned above are also no-rub solutions where you just fill your lens case, float the lenses in the solution, and seal it. Solutions have a 6-8 hour cleaning period so it is best if you do not try to cut it short. In fact, with peroxide-based solutions, you physically cannot wear the lenses until the solution has neutralized. If you are not actively wearing the lenses, you need to swap out the old solution with fresh on a weekly basis.

That is the short-hand answer, but definitely call your eye doctor and make an inquiry. They are there to help and would much rather help you now as opposed to later if you run into problems due to using products that are not right for you.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #459
MaiCosplay

http://www.fruugo.us/manson-contact-...0AgQ#s-4397685

I'm checking these contact lens sites. And they don't have eye power levels listed. I don't want to get lenses if I can't see through them.

Last edited by MaiCosplay : 01-21-2014 at 06:26 AM.
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #460
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiCosplay View Post
http://www.fruugo.us/manson-contact-...0AgQ#s-4397685

I'm checking these contact lens sites. And they don't have eye power levels listed. I don't want to get lenses if I can't see thru them.
Unfortunately, many of the common "Halloween" styles are plano/unpowered (the place you linked included). Honeycolor seems to have both the plain white and Manson lenses in powers though.
http://www.honeycolor.com/white-manson-crazy-lens.html

Have not shopped with them in a while so I cannot comment on service etc. these days.

CURRENT PROJECTS