Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
tigerlilygirl97

Post A question for commissioners...

Hello to everyone viewing this. I have a simple question that I was wondering if some commissioners(or some cosplayers with opinions) could answer for me. The question is-
Is it frowned upon for a person to ask for a quote right now for a cosplay they want some time in the future?

I understand that it may be a waste of time for the hard working commissioners(which I completely understand), but I am very curious on this topic.
tigerlilygirl97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
cowsrcute

Not a problem at all. It is a good idea to help you know how much you should save and stuff too. It's not really a waste of time either. Not hard to send a quote. Just let the commissioner know you are just looking for quotes.
cowsrcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

I've done this as a customer before, and while some get annoyed by it, most will feel free to give you a quote - unless, for some reason, they charge for one. (which I can understand; while some commissioners only look briefly into it, some spend hours researching how much it would cost - it really depends)
But I will agree to tell them you are asking for a quote only for future reference, and not to jump into right now. Some may get snippy with you or be unable to tell you or simply not answer you at all - respectfully ignore them or believe they just aren't a commissioner you want to go with because of it. And know that quotes like this will be VERY general - the prices of things change, fabrics and wig lines go out of stock, etc etc...So they will probably be hugely ballpark. Still, if they give you a price, always save up a bit more than that to actually use, just in case!
Though I am hesitant of asking about quotes ahead of time myself, I see nothing wrong with it! I do wonder if it is frowned upon in the marketplace as a thread, though...
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014

Last edited by FuntomKitten : 10-26-2013 at 11:13 PM.
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
tigerlilygirl97

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntomKitten View Post
Though I am hesitant of asking about quotes ahead of time myself, I see nothing wrong with it! I do wonder if it is frowned upon in the marketplace as a thread, though...
That's exactly what I was wondering as well. The cosplay I want to do isn't that its complex in parts(its a torn up floor-length dress with a hood and some props) but I know it will be time consuming to tear up the fabric, hem it, make it look good, etc. But times are tough and I don't exactly have a money tree in my backyard, ya know?
Unread 10-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
Ayase Shin
Cosplay Commissioner

As a commissioner I have to say nothing makes me more happy then to provide qoutes and helpful suggestions for costumes, ect on either current or future projects for everyone.
I have done several estimated costume qoutes for people who are just curious and or have a future costume/project they want to do.
It is perfectly fine to ask any and as many questions you need to.

Ayase Shin Coslay @ http://ayaseshincosplay.weebly.com/
Ayase Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Cyanna
Yarrrrn Pirate

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm happy to help.

Next conventions: Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta
Currently working on (commission): "Companion Cube" [custom] Mabel Pines (Gravity Falls)
Currently working on (personal): Fem!Pacha (The Emperor's New Groove), Spidermom ver. 3 (Homestuck)
Cyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
tigerlilygirl97

Thanks for the input guys I might post an ad in the marketplace for a quote only. I did look at the cosplay I'm wanting to do and it is a bit more complex than I thought (oops XD) but I'm hoping that I'll find someone that is up to the challenge
Unread 02-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
Glitterpeach01

I create costumes and I think it's completely fine to ask for a quote in advance It's also a good idea so that way the client isn't surprised by the cost!
As long as the commissioner normally works with the same materials I don't see why it would be a problem. If it's a specialty costume, or very odd materials then it may be a little bit harder to get a specific quote, but I would at least let my clients know the range of cost!