Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Site Headquarters

Unread 11-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

Sticky Suggestion

I've been reading up on Commissioner Reviews on the site, y'know taking down notes oh how to shape my own soon-to-be commission business to make sure I give proper customer service and product quality and all that. And I've come to a realization, that there's been a recurring problem amongst many commissioners. So I thought, why not have a sticky with information all about the business of being a commissioner? It can be an info resource that many good ones can put their heads together to form.

You wouldn't want to hire a service when the owner never even went to school to learn how to run a business do you? And I feel like that's what's missing. A lot of people are getting into doing commissions because they can make costumes, but have NO idea what it means to run a business. This is coming from someone who has taken business courses and gone to all sorts of information seminars, etc etc. I for one and looking to make my commissioning a legitimate business, not a hobby job.

Thoughts?

Unread 11-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
KatTehninja

There was this:
http://mykaios.tumblr.com/post/50062...what-to-expect
'Twas stickied on the commissions wanted forum before the marketplace started back up.
KatTehninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

EDITED: That didn't help at all I'm afraid. That's just the commissioner explaining to potential customers how hard her job is (plus I've ready many reviews on that commissioner, wasn't too impressed)

No I'm talking about creating an in-site resource that teaches COMMISSIONERS how to be good business owners.

Last edited by ArtsyFartsy : 11-04-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Update info
ArtsyFartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
lemuries

I actually love the idea of a stickied thread on what makes a good commissioner. People can definitely tell you what makes a good experience and what makes a bad one.

I've been told before I should try doing commissions, but I would be afraid of making a terrible blunder that either cost me a lot of money to fix, or a lot of reputation, which can't be fixed.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

mmhmm!

We have all of these wonderful help threads on costuming, photography, makeup, props, etc. But not a thing on what it means and what it takes to be a 'professional' commissioner.

I'm certainly willing to collaborate with those professional ones out there to come up with a good business guide.

I've also had first hand experience dealing with 'industry professionals' in the beauty industry (A graduate from a cosmetology college) and I was appalled to discover the lack of professionalism from my very own instructors! I'll be damned if I just let the same lack of professionalism corrupt something I love so much (which is cosplay!)
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
I actually love the idea of a stickied thread on what makes a good commissioner. People can definitely tell you what makes a good experience and what makes a bad one.

I've been told before I should try doing commissions, but I would be afraid of making a terrible blunder that either cost me a lot of money to fix, or a lot of reputation, which can't be fixed.
This will also allow for potential clients (yes I say clients, not customers for a reason) to also learn what to look for when searching for a commissioner to hire.