Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Construction Equipment Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 05-27-2013, 04:09 AM   #151
Khorrupt

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!
Singer 3116.
2) when did you purchase it/how old is it?
I bought it four years ago, although I only started using it this year, so I suppose you could say it's a slightly older model (don't quote me on that -- I don't know what's 'new' as far as sewing machines go) but it's basically brand new as far as usage goes.
3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)
Almost none! I make anything and everything basically just winging it, but I've made dresses, shirts, capes, skirts, cuffs, headbands, coats, etc.
4) what do you like most about the machine?
I like that it's really easy to switch the type of stitching. I've only ever used one other sewing machine before, and that was at the community art centre, where I only needed the basic stitch type, but I've heard that on other machines, switching the type of stitch is a really aggravating matter, and this one just has a dial.
5) what do you not like?
It jams, constantly. I thought initially, well, it's probably me since I'm not an experienced seamstress, but alas, it's not! I searched it and a lot of reviewers say that they've been sewing for a long time and it still jams up on them. It's also very loud and clunky and shakes a bit while you're sewing (also thought it was me, but it's not because everyone has the problem, allegedly.) There's an automatic needle threader, but it's garbage -- doesn't work.
6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer?
Not really. Even the one I used at the community art centre was better than mine, and I'm sure there's ones that don't scare you about what you're doing while you're doing it! -.-"
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #152
Catherinecat

Singer Prelude (Cheap one from Walmart)
I bought it 4 years ago.
3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)
Intermediate. I can sew a lot of different pieces, and use a variety of fabrics. I make all my costumes from scratch, and have worked with fur, vinyl, jeans, as well as the regular light-weight material.
It has a variety of stitches to choose from with a dial, and is very easy to thread. Very nice for regular sewing (light-medium weight fabric)
Most of the time I've had trouble, it was cuz I was using all-purpose thread on insanely thick fabric (making fur ears or working with marine vinyl, both needed the heavy duty thread) I have a bit of a preference for Singer as well, because I found a local Singer store where I can pick up presser feet. Fabricland does not sell feet, and I wanted one for doing rolled hems for my yukata.
5) what do you not like?
Sometimes, it would act moody, and wouldn't work for whatever reason. Usually this happened when I was already stressed out of course......
And it doesn't like making button holes. Not sure if the problem is me or the machine, but even following the instructions step-by-step, it always jams up and takes forever to fix it. Then it refuses to even sew in a straight line for a while. I'm not looking forward to the day I actually need a hole......
For a beginner cosplayer? Sure. It's cheap (under $100), and works well with normal fabric. Lasted me years, and I sew at least one full costume a year. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who regularly needs heavy-duty fabric. My marine vinyl outfit was extremely annoying, and sewing fur was a nightmare. But even then, as long as you know what the fabric needs: Right tension, new needle in the right size, and right type of thread (Anything jean-size or thicker NEEDS heavy duty thread or it WILL NOT WORK)
But don't use it for long-pile fur. Its not big enough to fit the thickness of the fur between the foot and the teeth. I ended up hand-sewing some parts of the fursuit head together after sending it through the sewing machine.
Catherinecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #153
kendraduck09

1) What machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!
Singer 2932

2) When did you purchase it/how old is it?
It was a Christmas present and it's almost 4 years old

I took a class in school and a few a Joann's. Most of what I know I taught myself or looked at tutorials online. I can sew from patterns and make them look nice, but I'd still like to learn how to draft my own patterns. In total I've been sewing for around 5 years.

4) What do you like most about the machine?
Uhh... it's portable? I brought it with me on a long road trip so I could sew while visiting family and it was fine. And for a basic machine it does have a nice variety of stitches. It's also easy to thread.

5) What do you not like?
I actually had to return the first one I got. When I set it up and began sewing... it was stuck in reverse. The reverse lever was loose and no matter what it would not sew forward. We took it back to Joann and they exchanged it for a new one. For the most part it worked fine, but three years later... now it's stuck in reverse and won't sew forward. When I took it to a sewing machine repair store they said it was jammed and would cost $100 to fix. In my opinion it's not worth fixing so I'm just going to buy a new one.

The thread gets jammed A LOT. And when it does it's pretty bad. The main problem is the bobbin thread gets ripped up and leaves all these strings hanging. (I don't know how to explain it but trust me when I say it has given me so many headaches from fixing it.)

It doesn't sew through thick fabric or many layers of fabric very well. I had a new pack of needles and managed to break three of them in one sitting because it couldn't sew through the fabric. I did everything I was supposed to and they STILL broke!

The buttonhole maker is such a pain to use. I had to sew 12 buttonholes onto a jacket... but if you include the ones I had to rip out it was more like 20. Not kidding. And they're hard to rip out too. It was after I finished the buttonholes that my machine jammed like I explained above. Plus even though the variety of stitches are nice, I just now figured out how to do (some) of them. The instructions are kind of vague.

If you're a beginner sewer like I was, this machine would be okay. Just don't count on it lasting for many years. In general though, I would not recommend this machine. I've just had too many problems with it and I was so frustrated with it. I'd like to get a Babylock machine someday, but my next machine will probably be a Brother.
Maou Sadao - Demon Form (The Devil is a Part Timer!)

Planned cosplays:
Touka Kirishima (Tokyo Ghoul)
Kageyama Tobio (Haikyuu!!)
BE!Koujaku (DRAMAtical Murder)

~ Tumblr ~ Cosplay Facebook ~ List of Cosplays ~

kendraduck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #154
Skyzhema
former DeJerk cosplayer

I own a Brother LS-2220.

It was a gift from my grandmother this past summer. I have no earthly idea how old it is, Grandma says over 20 years, possibly over 30, yet dad says she bought it a few years ago, used it once and never again.

I've been sewing since... 2005-ish? But I've only learned how to use a machine in the past 2 months. I do mostly beginner/intermediate things, but I'm good with zippers too.

It was free! I also love the versatility of it-it can do buttons, 14 stitches/21 stitch functions (no idea what that means though) and winds bobbins too. The last part is especially useful!

5) What do you not like?
The bobbin thing is hard to load, and because I haven't taken it to a repairman yet the tension is still slightly out of whack.

Yes. It's actually fairly light, easy to use and efficient. I can maneuver cosplay gear into it and it has no problem with various fabrics or functions. It's actually pretty awesome.

I am allergic to cosplay makeup.
I use wax- and cabbage-based makeups I handmake. In the dorm kitchen.
I also can't use hairspray-it makes me break out.
So if you see me in cosplay without makeup, or with too little or too much, just understand that the options I have don't always turn out well, or turn out too well.
Thanks!
Skyzhema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #155
packingabox

I bought a Janome Mini from Amazon, for about $50. I don't think it had a model number.

I purchased it about the end of last year, new.

I am EXTREMELY new at sewing, so a very basic, unexpensive machine was all I was looking for. I ended up unwittingly choosing a project that required a LOT of applique.

It was cheap. Plus, it's basic (and slow) enough for someone like me to get comfortable with it. The directions are really easy to follow as well. ^^ This machine has the basic stitch and zigzag stitch, in several sizes. Also, being in the military, having a smaller machine is helpful for when I have to move.

5) What do you not like?
This machine is very sensitive to cheap thread. It is also quite loud, and several reviews commented about how slowly it went for them. I also noticed that when sewing several layers of cotton together, it tended to get testy-getting louder, and going slower. I haven't tried sewing anything heavy duty, nor do I plan to in the near future. If you plan on sewing anything like leather, PVC, or a thick jean material, this might not be the best choice. Also, the backstitch is a bit difficult to use. There were also reviews complaining about the lack of light over the needle.

If you're new like me, completely. I definitely feel as though this machine will last me a while, and it's definitely worth the $50. For someone more experienced, this would probably serve as a good backup or travel machine. It's light, and efficient enough for small-medium projects. I had to sew a 6 foot cape, and this made the process soo much faster.
packingabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #156
Sibbers

A Brother NS10

About 3-4 years ago

3) How much sewing experience do you have?
6 years

- how advanced are your projects?
Intermediate to advanced

Does button holes automatically and never failed while it was sewing one. Has a button to start and stop sewing which had now become part of my muscle memory and I don't actually use the presser foot for it. Has a number of stitches, not as much as other machines, but covers pretty much everything you need. Easy to thread.

5) what do you not like?
Sometimes the bobbin can jam, but that's usually because I have done something wrong, or tried to force the machine to do something. One time I tried to drop the feed dogs to sew on a button, and the machine just flipped out and i had to spend half an hour fixing it. I recently acquired a Lemair machine from the 70s which can do that just fine XD.

The machine is very beginner friendly but can still perform alot of advanced functions, Its a good machine that will stick with your as your skill increases. Would definitely recommend
Sibbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #157
Zhiana
Inspired Insanity

Name of Product: Brother NS50 Sewing Machine
Where Purchased: n/a (I was generously given one to trial at home for free)
Product Description:
Pros: 135 different built in stitches, mongramme/lettering capabilities, built in speed control, can combine 35 different stitches to create your own, can alter the width of zigzag stitches, computerised, built in accessory tray with included accessories (bobbins etc), included hard travel case.
Cons: Can be a little confusing at first, but very good once you get used to it.
Overall Rating: 10

Full review available here

Oz Comic-Con Adelaide regina from [ once upon a time ]
Supanova Melbourne supergirl from [ dc comics ]
Supanova Sydney zatanna from [ smallville ]
Oz Comic-Con Melbourne ? from [ ? ]
Armageddon Melbourne wonder woman from [ justice league ]
Supanova Adelaide ? from [ ? ]
Zhiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #158
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefaniecat View Post
5) what do you not like?
1) I have a Janome 4612 Travel Mate
2) I'd say it's about 10 years old.
3) Other then making a dress in HomeEc back when it was still called HomeEc, I'm entirely self-taught. As such I've tried things that probably shouldn't be tried. I've sewn silk, satin, lace, leather, canvas, pelts, natural and artificial fabrics on this machine. Some work better then others. The heavyweight canvas no more then two thicknesses. The pelts where a problem even with paper to cheat it through. I'd suggest not using this machine to sew heavyweight canvas, but fashion leather or similar would be okay. It can sew most fabrics you'd find in a Joann's.
4) I like that I can set up most anywhere with a power supply and can take my machine with me to con. (This is also why my roommates and husband hate the machine.) It is a basic machine with a few bells and whistles. With the stretch stitch options, it is ideal IMO for a first time cosplayer. I've used it to teach first time cosplayers how to make costumes.
5) Currently, I'm unable to use my machine as it needs a new motor. (I've used it hard, in ways it probably shouldn't have been used. I'm not surprised it needs major word now.) I can't replace the motor with a generic because the type is specific to the machine. The part will cost $80. The shop where I bought the machine is no longer in business. (I hope the little old lady that ran it is retired, but I have a felling she worked right up to the end. She was a really nice gal and her love of sewing showed.)
I am now left with finding somewhere I can get my machine fixed and face a bill that will equal the price of a low end machine or convince my husband to let me have a new high end machine slightly more butch then me Travelmate, if I can find a retailer.
6) I have recommended this machine in the past and the type of shop I bought it in. My only warning is that this machine can't do everything, but it can do a lot. I'd also like to suggest reading The Hags sticky General Information of Buying a Sewing Machine ,as I made many of those same mistakes with the purchase of my first machine.
Unread 03-29-2014, 01:43 AM   #159
BizarreKitten

I was offered an old White sewing machine, a 671 I think, for $75 at my local fabric store. I didn't have any problems with it during the hour they let me play around with it, though I have very little actual experience with sewing machines. what do you think?

Edit: Forgot to add info on the machine itself. It does both a straight and a zigzag stick with variable stitch length. And as best as I can tell based on online research, it was made sometime between the 50s and the 70s, but definitely post-WWII, as it was made in Japan.

Last edited by BizarreKitten : 03-29-2014 at 02:08 AM.
BizarreKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #160
lemuries

I think that's one of the old heavy, dependable machines they recommend as something that should last you forever. It's no frills but most cosplay construction doesn't require the bells and whistles.

Personally, I haven't used one (I started out on a 80's singer and moved to a 90's pfaff), but maybe there's someone in our community that has.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #161
Star Schnauzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
I think that's one of the old heavy, dependable machines they recommend as something that should last you forever. It's no frills but most cosplay construction doesn't require the bells and whistles.

Personally, I haven't used one (I started out on a 80's singer and moved to a 90's pfaff), but maybe there's someone in our community that has.

I have a Universal Super ML, it has to be at least 60 years old. Built like a tank, sews one stitch great. My only problem I can see is where to find new needles.
Star Schnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #162
NekoHaydee

all of the threads do not exist...
NekoHaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 01:36 AM   #163
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

I own 5 machines now (everyone just decided to give me their machines, lol...I actually got my 5th one yesterday) but I'll just talk about my Necchi 4825 since it's the one I've had the most experience with. (Also a couple need repairs so I haven't even had the chance to touch them yet.)

My mom bought it a few years ago. I think it was the mid to late 2000's.

Sewing by hand, ever since I was a kid. Sewing with machines, since 8th grade. I sewed my senior prom dress this year based off a Vintage Vogue pattern.

Despite being plastic, I could probably chuck this thing out a window and it wouldn't even dent. Also, it's good for small, short projects.

5) what do you not like?
Wasn't designed well, (the screw that was included and that's supposed to hold in the presser foot is TOO SHORT, the presser foot falls off every 5 minutes) jams a lot, instructions are horrifically translated and formatted to the point where I can't understand much, and is really uncooperative.

Nope, unless they don't plan on sewing much.

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses