Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 81 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #286
MelodyK

I got my Tri-top and am trying to figure out if it's too small... I can get it on and off with a bunch of scraping but it chafes under my arms. Is it supposed to do that?

And it's like a sports bra - there's pretty much no shirts besides button-ups and tshirts that I can wear without the straps showing. (Not even my L shirt... =P) I had thought the straps weren't going to be this big or close to my neck.

I tried putting my arms through the head hole and just folding it down. Maybe if I use fashion tape to tape the straps flat I can get away with it? I really hate how it looks with the straps showing.

Have to say though I really like how it feels. Oddly it feels like it's giving my back support. Isn't bothering my asthma at all although it's definitely tight on my ribs.

Past & current cosplays: Death (Sandman), fem!Sam Winchester (Supernatural), Eleventh Doctor (Doctor Who), genderbent!Haruhi (TMOHS), Tamaki (Ouran), Castiel (Supernatural), L (Deathnote)

Cosplay dreams: Takuto (Fullmoon wo Sagashite), Break (Pandora Hearts), Watanuki Kimihiro (xxxHolic), Ciel Phantomhive (Black Butler), nearly everyone from Pandora Hearts and Tsubasa
MelodyK is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #287
Kelley
Devil of Details

What are your over and under bust measurement and what size did you get? And how tall are you?

Chafing isn't "normal" but it might have an explanation.

What's an L shirt look like? The tri-top is about the same as a regular men's undershirt so it should fit under the majority of men's clothing. You might consider dyeing it if you have more exotic things you need to wear it with.

However, there are other options meant to be strapless that you could look into of that's what you need.

How long have you worn it for so far?

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #288
MelodyK

I'm 5'8"; my measurements were 35" overbust and 31" underbust. I got a small.

Ah, I'm sorry. L from Deathnote. It's a white longsleeve shirt with a bit of a wider neck than a tshirt. (I got a shirt from Kohls in a size larger than I usually wear so that it would have extra length in the sleeves and torso) It's something like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Death_Note.png

I did get the skin coloured binder but it makes me feel awkward that the straps show, kind of like if my bra straps were showing, lol.

I've been looking into strapless and just haven't seen as many people using them. This makes me wonder why, TBH. Do they not work so well? Are they uncomfortable? I'm just having a general lack of information issue and my friend google isn't helping that much. =P

And I've worn it for... probably a total of 12-16 hours now? I figured out that putting an undershirt under it and pulling it through the armhole cut the chafing way down, so I decided I'd wear it as much as possible to see if it relaxed the fabric any.

Past & current cosplays: Death (Sandman), fem!Sam Winchester (Supernatural), Eleventh Doctor (Doctor Who), genderbent!Haruhi (TMOHS), Tamaki (Ouran), Castiel (Supernatural), L (Deathnote)

Cosplay dreams: Takuto (Fullmoon wo Sagashite), Break (Pandora Hearts), Watanuki Kimihiro (xxxHolic), Ciel Phantomhive (Black Butler), nearly everyone from Pandora Hearts and Tsubasa
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #289
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
Do they not work so well? Are they uncomfortable?
From the limited number of people I know who have had them, the consensus seems to be that they are overly worried about them slipping down because they feel less secure due to having no straps. To my knowledge, none of the people have had this problem actually happen but peace of mind is important when it comes to stuff like that.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #290
MelodyK

That's a good point, thanks.

I suppose the next question is - can you *make* a strapless binder? I looked at them over on lesloveboat and I went: I bet I could make that out of some velcro and some kind of cotton blend with some stretch (or maybe even an old tshirt, doubled or tripled up?). 'Cuz I don't want to buy a second binder this year... but I do really want a strapless binder.

Unread 11-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #291
Ilafatyu
That guy

Donno how safe it is, but I made my own strapless binder from wide knit elastic and some cotton looking stuff leftover from another project. Measure how wide/tall you want the binder (top of boob to bottom, I guess), then sew together the elastic until you have enough to cover about 5/8 of your back, give or take. Make a fabric tube the same width with your front fabric (2x width+seam allowance), connect it to the elastic back on one side. On the other put your closure. I chose a zipper, but if I remake it I'm probably going to do hook and eye or something else because getting sideboob skin caught in a zipper is the worst feeling ever. It's an effective binder, though.

I ended up putting straps on it because I was afraid of it slipping, but because you made it yourself you can put whatever straps you want wherever you want. Or you could make the top out of translucent/skintone mesh. Whatever you come up with. If my explanation was nonsense let me know, I'll break out some mighty fine ms paint diagrams.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 20%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #292
MelodyK

Wide knit elastic? What kind of a thing are you talking about...? something like the fabric that they make swimsuits out of? (My mom used to sew us swimsuits and sports bras so I know I can buy that...)

I can imagine the construction of that, totally. Let me restate that back to you. So 5/8 of the way around is elastic and the other 3/8 is fabric. Is the fabric worn in the back or front?

Have you thought about velcro for a closure? Or would it want to come apart on its own because of the tension?

Unread 11-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #293
Ilafatyu
That guy

This stuff. I sewed the strips together to make it match the fabric part of the binder, because no way was 3 inches wide enough.

Sorry I was unclear. 3/8 is elastic in the back, 5/8 is fabric in the front. Use underbust measurement. I'd be hesitant to use velcro because of it coming apart or wearing out, but if you've got some heavy duty velcro it would probably work. You'd just need to add enough length so the binder has enough overlap to stay in place.

I've never used a manufactured binder, so I'm not sure how it compares with comfort.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 20%
Connie (SnK) - 1%

Last edited by Ilafatyu : 11-15-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #294
belligerent
Viking Metal

You could also theoretically get a strapless binder from somewhere and attach thin straps to it somewhere they won't show if you're worried about it slipping down.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is online now   Reply With Quote