Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 11-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
MeredithO

Absolute Novice

So, I am an absolute novice when it comes to cosplay/lolita/cons, well I guess we can just say everything in general. I plan on attending my first convention in a year and am going to be cosplaying at least one of the days. I have a friend who has started doing Lolita and I am super fascinated by it. I don't really understand the culture and what is/isn't considered Lolita. I'm doing my best to learn so any information anyone wants to pass my way would be greatly appreciated. I guess for right now my main question is whether or not I can do cosplay one day and then Lolita the next, or is that frowned upon? Should I just stick to one style or the other, or is it okay to dabble in both? Thanks in advance for anyone who replies
MeredithO is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

There's no rule against doing both. There are plenty of lolitas who cosplay.

Just keep in mind that lolita is a fashion and cosplay is about dressing up like a character. Conventions are the perfect place to wear your first lolita coord because so often, there are meet ups or tea parties to attend. If you haven't already seen/read it, this is a good thread to check for some lolita basics.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=96212

For specific questions regarding the different styles, specific pieces or just advice in general....this is a useful blog to check out. (Just be sure to check the tags and FAQ in case there are already answers to your questions)
http://lolita-tips.tumblr.com/

Hope this helps some c:
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

First thing because I noticed it RIGHT away....I love that you have a Ringo Akai Avatar....lol I'm in the middle of making my Ryouko Ookami cosplay so....

Anyway, the tumblr that TeaForThought posted is a great place for information. That's the first thing I was going to link..But you could also go to the EGL Community livejournal forums and get some good info there. Some people don't like going there because they think some of the members are mean, but I think just looking for now would be a good idea.

As for the both or not thing, feel free. I think it's wonderful to see good combos. I personally like the Sweet Lolita style, but also really like the Classic style and plan to do one that's a little of both (already have a sweet one).
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
MeredithO

Thank you both!
JasonTerror-I absolutely love her, she is actually who I plan on doing as my first cosplay
MeredithO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

That's so awesome haha a person I talk to on a local con forum actually just started watching the series and we may be cosplaying as group stuff from it. Ringo is awesome though. Have fun with that cosplay!!

Anyway on topic, You are very welcome.
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Bobbi
I poke spoons with baders

Hello Lace is a good place to start. I think the trickiest thing you are going to run into is knowing off-hand what looks awkward and what doesn't. Some people have an eye for it, and other's don't at first. You can always ask for suggestions.

I've been a cosplayer for a really long time, but I've been wearing Lolita the last couple of years exclusively to conventions because it was a nice change of pace and I haven't had time/space to work on costumes lately. But it's perfectly normal to cosplay and wear Lolita on different days or different times of days. Unless you're exclusively one or the other, there's no reason to wear both.

Before getting into it, I'd spend some time really researching. Spend time collecting pieces for your first coordinate, rather than rushing to get it all together for the next con. I mean, you can do that, but I think it's better to take your time so you can have a nice, well put together coord!
Unread 11-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
NerkyChan

IMO the best thing to do to first is deciding on which style(s) you like and like Bobbi said do lots of research, take your time on your co-ord.
Check places like Tumblr and see other people's co-ords, this is really helpful if you want to mix 2 styles.

I saw this link, it might help too http://www.ramblerori.com/2013/02/co...e-awesome.html

And these videos
* Is Lolita fashion for you? - http://youtu.be/4dYwZ8y6mzE
* Lolita: Starting, Expanding, and Maximizing Your Wardrobe - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR7Bn5HsLFk

Don't worry too much on the rules, if you wanna make it your own go for it.
Look forward to maybe seeing your co-ords MeredithO.
Unread 12-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

I still feel like a huge novice too and I began back in 1979 lol I still don't know what type of character I should try I been experimenting with the styles as my old memories come back. I suggest you just try out some different styles and see what suits you. For me it was more the flowery print style poofy to the knees dresses, but then again those were very common in the late 70's and early 80's.

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote