Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
TinkerKitty

Makeup- what do I absolutely need?

I'm one of those 23 year old females who doesn't bother with makeup, because 30 minutes of sleep is much more useful. I am also one of those rare ones who just realized (as in, two days ago) that there is actually a difference between foundation and concealer.

As someone who will probably never wear makeup for anything other than cosplay, I want to know what I can get away with not buying. I'm thinking that doing mostly male characters will help, since they don't wear fancy makeup, and the few female characters I like are the tomboy ones that don't wear it either - I'd just need to make a few adjustments to match their natural look.

Ahn!Con posted a link for female to male crossplay makeup, but it was made with the assumption that everyone knew how to put on basic makeup. She used bronzer to make herself more male-ish. I didn't even know what bronzer was until I googled general makeup application tutorials. In in doing that, I found out that someone spent $50 on brushes alone, and decent foundation and concealer could be up to $30.

Basically, I don't want to spend $100 on something I'm only going to use every now and then, or not need at all. If I had that kind of money, I'd be going as Byakko, not Hisoka where I already have half of the costume. Do I really need a $10 - $20 set of 6 brushes? Those cases that have like, 4+ different colors in one?

I know foundation is a must, and I got some today that pretty well smooths out my skin tone without concealer. (If anything ruins cosplay, it won't be the circles under my eyes.) I also have really dry skin, so I'm worried that too much makeup will increase the chances of making it obvious.

Unread 11-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

This isn't makeup gospel, so I won't assume these are things you actually need, but things I recommend:

For skin, I would invest in a good moisturizer, one that doesn't conflict with your foundation. Assuming you need FTM makeup, bronzer is a great for contouring and adding depth to the eyes. Depending on your brow situation, an eyeliner that can double as a brow pencil might be a good investment. Finally, translucent powder or blotting papers are good for setting makeup, or removing shine (depending on what you need). Clean toilet seat covers can also be used for blotting skin and removing oil.

As for brushes, I think a smaller face contouring or blush sized brush would work. One that fits under the cheekbones. And a fluffy eye shadow brush for smaller details on the face, such as chin and nose. If you buy eyeliner, look for one with a sponge on the end, otherwise q-tips can help blend liner to look more natural.

All this should be less than $20-25, depending on the brands, and where you buy them from. Wet N Wild, NYC, Rimmel, NYX, ELF, and Essence, are all inexpensive/less expensive. Eco Tools and ELF have some nice brushes. Hope this helps a little!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Haruhi13

Coastal Scents and Ecotools have some lovely, high quality brush sets for quite a low price. Brushes aren't exactly necessary, as you can use your fingers, but they do make makeup application much easier, and they are often sold in sets, which cuts down on the cost. Coastal Scents actually has a nice sale going right now, so you can get 12 brushes for $10 on their website.

As far as makeup goes, PSY-chan has covered pretty much everything. I would also definitely suggest foundation, concealer, and a large eyeshadow palette (they're often quite cheap). For example, Coastal Scents' 88 Warm palette has 88 warm toned eyeshadows (excellent for contouring and crossplay), and it's typically $20, although you can certainly find it for much less on sites like ebay. ELF also has a 144 piece eyeshadow palette for $15. The quality for both is reasonable, and they are excellent for beginners as they allow for experimentation without too much of an investment.
Haruhi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
TinkerKitty

Thank you~!

To make sure I have it right:
1) Moisturizer (a lot harder than it sounds, I've been trying to find something that works without irritating my skin off and on for years)
2) Foundation - already have
3) Bronzer
4) I don't pluck or shape my eyebrows, so I should be good on the eyebrow pencil. But pick up a eyeliner/eyebrow double if I can.
5) Coastal Scents' 88 warm palette or ELF's 144 piece eyeshadow.
6) Blush brush
7) Contour brush
8) Eyeshadow brush

That sounds a lot better than the 50 million things makeup places say I need. (Although, I guess if I were actually trying to look like a girl, I would need at least half of those)
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
thelovelysin
Informant

If you're going to use bronzer for contouring, don't get one that has shine (sparkly bits) in it. You want one that's matte.
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
indiraptor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFnX6cqRu6g

This is a really good tutorial I found on cosplay makeup. Sirene doesn't like using makeup much either, and goes for the cheaper route. It's the tutorial I went with when I first started cosplaying, and I think it may help you as well.
indiraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
TinkerKitty

Matte bronzer, understood. Thanks, I probably never would have though to check for a difference.

On moisturizer, any recommendations? Everything has so many mixed reviews, and halfway through Googling "face moisturizer," I realized that there's a good chance not all of it is meant to be worn under makeup. I'm thinking CeraVe Moisturizing AM, since it's only $14 at Walmart, and if it doesn't moisturize enough I can just toss it over to my mom.
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
thelovelysin
Informant

For a moisturizer I usually use Aveeno, it's really soothing on the skin (it completely healed my skin when I got chemical burns from using Proactive). But I've also used Vaseline/petroleum jelly and it works really well once it dries a bit before applying the makeup of course.
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

A blush brush and contour brush aren't that much different usually. It's usually a shape thing with the brands. An angled blush brush will contour cheeks as well as apply blush just fine without the need of an extra brush labeled for contouring.

Your foundation might make your dry skin more obvious if it's powder because powder clings to dry flakes of skin. Liquid can also cling but with a little exfoliation and moisturizer beforehand, you shouldn't have too much trouble; remember to set your liquid foundation with some powder.

Side note: petroleum jelly doesn't really dry. It sort of "evaporates" off the skin and sits on top; it holds in moisture and heat, so swimmers will coat themselves in it to keep warm. Not much of a "moisturizer" as so many think!

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

If you looking for a good brushes et the can muti-purpose always go synthetic and you can us the brush and both powder and cream products compared to natural hair (creams and gel based product ruin them).

http://www.coastalscents.com/brushes...synthetic.html
http://www.coastalscents.com/brushes...brush-set.html
http://www.coastalscents.com/brushes...set-black.html

Also Costal scents will be doing a black friday sale on the 29th. It's usually 50% off everything so I recommend opening an account and loading up your cart in advance as the amount of traffic they get makes the site very SLOW as soon as it starts.

Instead of on bronzer I recommend this platte as it have everything you need for the face.
http://www.coastalscents.com/makeup/...es/pl-008.html

Also keep in mind if you take care of your pressed powder they will last you a long time. Anything liquid based need to replace yearly like concealers and foundation.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
TinkerKitty

thelovelysin: So something like Aveeno's Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer? I think that was the only one I saw that didn't also act as a foundation.

spookehdoom: Yeah, I already figured powder would be even worse, so I got liquid foundation for Normal/Dry skin. Am I lucky enough that the case will say "Setting Powder" somewhere obvious, or will I have to run around reading fine print/hoping for the best?
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

If it doesn't set on it own then yes you need a powder. basically if if doesn't dry down on it's own when you touch it in 30 minutes I won't set for the whole day.

You can use any face powder as your setting powder from the drugstore.

For skin care my skin is hella sensitive so I'm only use Spectro products in Canada. Cetaphil is a american equivalent to the line.
http://www.cetaphil.com/products/moisturizers/

Also before you cosplay as in the night before exfoliate your face. I have dry combo/oil skin so my forehead get dry patch (especially in the winter). I've even have liquid foundation cling to dry spots even without setting so it best to exfoliated the skin instead.

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 11-18-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
AdventurerEmily
Zombie Extraordinaire

I highly recommend a good setting spray to keep your makeup on all day, especially if you are going to sweat at all (warm convention hall, constantly moving, hot costumes can wreak havok on makeup). Urban Decay makes highly regarded sprays with different forumulas ("De-slick" if you're oily, "All Nighter" if you aren't). Ben Nye Final Seal, Mehron Barrier Spray, or Model in a Bottle are also really good. Basically they act as hairspray, but for your makeup.
AdventurerEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #14
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

Tinkerkitty: Really, any sort of face powder will serve to set your foundation!
I actually use a powder foundation to set mine.

Ani_BEE: There isn't really a liquid that will self-set unless it's one of those "liquid-to-powders" or if it's a cream that's "cream-to-powder." Liquids will wear off easily if they aren't set with a powder.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Yes well I have a used a few liquid foundation that are silicon based that does set on their own. Most drugstore lines don't which is why I've giving the 30 minute guideline for testing.

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.