Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 11-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
JustnsLostAngel
Aperture Employee

would fabric paint work for this?

Hi! I am making the jacket that the girl is wearing : http://www.reviewstl.com/wp-content/...lie-Winter.jpg

It is a windbreaker type material. I was thinking of taking a white wind breaker hoodie that I found online and painting the pink and black in the right areas. But i am afraid the paint might crack and not look right. Do you think this would work?

Another idea I had was finding a pink windbreaker hoodie that is the right colour and sewing the black and white on in fabric. But that would be more expensive and I am not that great at sewing.

What do you guys think?

Unread 11-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
lemuries

fabric paint should flex more than regular paint, but it works better when you put it on porous fibers. I believe wind breakers are made of synthetic and coated materials that are designed to not absorb water (& paint). So it would be like a scab or film lying on top of the fibers, waiting to be rubbed off.

You could try getting a polyester windbreaker in white and then using ipoly to dye the pink area and the black area (two separate dyelots). That stuff works surprisingly well.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
lemuries

Oh yeah, your link didn't work, but I assume you're talking about this
Unread 11-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Penlowe

Crisp lines are very difficult with dye, especially to the inexperienced. I advise against that option, especially on a treated windbreaker.

The easiest (but not cheapest) option is to get three jackets and perform cut & swap surgery to get your big color blocks.
The best looking option is to make the jacket from scratch creating the color blocks as you go.
The most beginner/ non-sewist friendly option is to buy a WHITE jacket and use fabric paint to fill in the color blocked areas. (For most painting on fabric, starting with the lightest color base fabric gives the best results)
Unread 11-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
JustnsLostAngel
Aperture Employee

I thought about making it from scratch, the only issue is not my skills, but the fact that fabric stores in and around my home town do not carry that sort of fabric.
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Are you sure it's a nylon windbreaker? What I see in the screenshot looks like a hoodie sweatshirt to me. I haven't played this game, so I haven't seen the game model in motion and wouldn't know if the dialogue specifically refers to it being a nylon windbreaker.

A cotton or cotton-poly hoodie would be far easier. First, that fabric is easier to find if you want to make it from scratch. You could either buy the individual colors and sew the blocks together, or you could just buy it all in white, dye parts of that yardage to pink and brown, and then sew it all up.

If you prefer to paint, that fabric will actually take fabric paint. However, I would NOT recommend using regular opaque fabric paint to cover huge areas like that because it will make the fabric a lot stiffer and you'd ruin the stretch factor. Flowable paints will not change the feel and texture of the fabric, but on the other hand, they are harder to work with - it's difficult to get crisp, clean lines or even coverage with them. So, with painting you're going to be sacrificing something.

The best solution is to sew the color blocks together. This will give you the cleanest lines and most even coverage without ruining the material.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
JustnsLostAngel
Aperture Employee

I am positive that is a nylon type. That specific outfit is one of her winter versions which needs to be water proof because of the snow. I guess ill just try my best to look online for fabric.
I'm thinking maybe buy a pink hooded wind breaker? then buy the black/white fabric separate and sew it on. The hood is going to be my main issue. That's the thing I am worried about.

So paint is a bad Idea. Okay if I am sewing it.. Should I buy the hoodie and sew the back/ white fabric over the original fabric, or should I just cut 2/3rds of the bottom off and completely reconstruct the bottom of the jacket?

Last edited by JustnsLostAngel : 11-17-2013 at 09:36 PM.
JustnsLostAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
lemuries

Maybe you could start with this ebay auction?

Frankenstein this auction for the middle?

And add in the bottom from this auction?

Last edited by lemuries : 11-17-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: found another
Unread 11-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
JustnsLostAngel
Aperture Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
Maybe you could start with this ebay auction?

Frankenstein this auction for the middle?

And add in the bottom from this auction?

Thank you for the help, however I don't think that is the correct pink and the white hoodie is not the right fabric. I'll look for my self. My real question has been answered and I realize that fabric paint will not work. thank you!