Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 169 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 10-11-2003, 12:33 PM   #1
Cait

All-Purpose All-Genre Sailor Senshi Costume Thread

Manga, Anime, Musical, and Live Show. Sailor Moon has reached it all... and thus I'm hoping this thread is in the right place. I don't think I've seen this kind of thread around before, but if it exists and I've been missing it all this time, smack me.

So, people, how did you make your senshi fuku or school uniform? I'm working on the manga version of Mercury's original senshi fuku right now and am curious how people have attached their skirts, formed their bodices, and so much more. Please share your expirence and your pictures!

Specifics I'm personally curious about:

==Senshi Fuku==
-Did you use a figure skating uniform or t-shirt or leotard as a base?
-Is your collar attached or removable?
-How does your collar attach/is it attached all the way around?
-Where did you get the 'button' in the center of the bow?
-Did you stuff the piping around the skirt and sleeves with cotton fluff or batting?
-Where's you get the shoes?
-What's your opinion on boot covers?
-How'd you make your tiara?
-Do you carry accesories with your costume?
-Anime or manga?
-What fabric types?
-How much did it all cost?
-Did you pleat your skirt?
-Have you ever seen or used the McCall's discontinued Sailor Moon pattern?

==Live Action Uniforms and Fuku==
-Can anyone tell me what the emblem on their right sleeve is?
-How do these collars attach? Seems to be from inside, doesn't it?
-Does anyone have plans yet to cosplay these new outfits?
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2003, 07:38 PM   #2
angel_peach
peachy keen ^.~

I've been wanting to make a Sailor Moon costume for a couple of months now, so a lot of the things you asked about, I'm curious too. My first cosplay ever was Sailor Jupiter, and I didn't use any patterns or get any help from anyone, so it ended up kinda crappy. Therefore, I wouldn't be of much help answering your questions. =P

However, one thing I want to know: how do y'all get into your costumes? Are you using a zipper, or something else? *curious*
angel_peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2003, 10:14 PM   #3
Cait

*nods* The one I've been working on has a zipper up the back and the collar detaches/goes over my head and will snap in place once I've gotten that far. *sigh* The zipper isn't laying flat, though. But, it guarntees I can get into it. My first try, I guess I can screw up a few times.
Unread 10-12-2003, 10:59 PM   #4
Usagi Mylene
Um.. No!

I am slowly working on a Super Sailor Moon costume. I have to say that I cheated and bought a pre-made leotard. The fuku is a seprate piece all on its own. I'm going to list and answer your questions if that's okay with everyone:

==Senshi Fuku==
Leotard is pre made. I was thinking about using the skating uniform pattern. I have heard good things about it.

As of right now it is its own piece. I might attach it from the front to the leotard but make it so it will go over my head. Since there is no zipper or anything to get out of the leotard.

Not yet.

Sailor Moon has no button. You could probally raid a arts and craft store for something like that.

-Did you stuff the piping around the skirt and sleeves with cotton fluff or batting?
I did stuff it but it looks so bad. I might make it over. Sleeves in her case ain't

Someone had them made for me.

if they are well made then they are fine. I just like actually boots. ^.^

That was also made for me. She used a gold sheet metal and a piece of elastic. The moon symbol was painted on

yes!! I bought her Wand. It plays music and everything. I also have a stuffed Luna and Tuxedo Kamen Plushies. I did buy her locket but it might be a little to heavy for the costume.

-Anime or manga?
Anime

-What fabric types?
A cotton type for the Collar, and the yellow and blue portion of her skirt. the sleeves and bows are made from this pink fabric that is somewhat see through and it has a little hint of pink glitter. I forgot what it's called. Her skirt and red bow are made of a stainy material. It's not satin though. Her gloves are store bought white ones made of nylon. I will be attaching the red soon.

heheee Inculding the wand, locket and Plushies? Over 100 bucks. The wand is what killed it since it was never released in the states. >.< With out the wand and stuff, it so far has been about 50 bucks.

it is pleated some what. It isn't free flowing like in the anime though.

I have seen it. It has popped up all over ebay right now. I haven't bought it because it's for kids and I don't know who to change all the info so it will work a adult.

If poeple are intrested, i can maybe post some pics of my costume. It isn't completed and all the piece are not put together. I still need a wig. >.<

My dream costume is to make Sailor V from the Live action and of course Eternal Moon from Sera Myu. I might do their school uniform from the Live action. Not sure when....

i hope this is any interest or help to you gals!

"Te Castigare... En el nombre de la Luna!!" ~*Sailor Moon*~

Last edited by Usagi Mylene : 10-12-2003 at 11:10 PM.
Usagi Mylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2003, 10:40 AM   #5
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

==Senshi Fuku==

I used a Green Leaf ice skating pattern for my Myu Jupiter costume. I like this pattern -- it's very easy to modify ^^.

It's a Myu collar, it pretty much has to be attached to achieve that certain look ^^.

It's sewn all the way around.

Another group member of La Soldiers made all of our center jewels, so we would match. I think she made it from Sculpey and a rhinestone ^^.

I used batting, but I think mine are overstuffed, so I wouldn't use any of my advice on that subject ^^;;.

;_; I sacrificed my favorite black boots and painted them green. I was *trying* to make boot covers accurate to the musical, but 1) I can't find a matching fabric ANYWHERE, and 2) that's one of the hardest boot covers I've ever tried to make. My try out of green pleather turned out horribly.

Made well, they look awesome. Made not so well, they seriously detriment the look of the costume. Even if the boot is not completely accurate, I think that alternative works better than a badly-made yet accurate boot cover.

Lexan painted gold with a rhinestone glued to the center. It Velcros to my hair ^^.

Well, I'm not Moon or Venus, so I don't really have the option to carry a cute kitty with me. So no.

-Anime or manga?

Myu! LOL. . .but if I have to choose, I say manga. I like Jupiter's belt thingy ^^.

-What fabric types?

Spandex for the leotard. Joann's Casa collection crepe for the skirts/collar. Tricot lame backed with interfacing for the bows. And a whole crapload of pineapple pleat lame! XD

It's a Myu costume. I'm sooooo not going there X_x

Yup. For how short that skirt is, there's an awful lot of fabric in it >.>.

Not I, but from online pictures I don't really like the look of it. I think the best thing to do is to start with a base leotard/leotard pattern. Collars and bows are easy enough to make so that you shouldn't need a pattern.

No, but I've been trying to get a better look at it.

I think they're sewn to the under leotard. Those outfits are designed really oddly O_o.

Personally, I think those Senshi outfits are hideous. But I like their school uniforms. Problem is, they look very very Japanese while not transformed, so I don't think I could pull off Makoto in that context >.>.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2003, 10:59 AM   #6
Ayana
Accio!

I did a Sailorjupiter (anime version) costume two years ago, and it was a disaster that I blew $40 on. I'm planning on making Eternal Jupiter (Stars manga), and I found a leotard pattern that includes a short two layer skirt and puffy sleeves O_O No real pattern alteration needed!!! If I find the site I found it on I'll post it here, but I'll prolly buy that for when I make it.

under-the-gun.org
Ayana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2003, 06:11 PM   #7
Usagi Mylene
Um.. No!

Ayana, that would rock if you can post where you saw the pattern.

I need something for my Eternal Sailor Moon. My first try went bust. Not enough pleating on the skirts and it just doesn't look right. Puffness wise.

I'm waiting for when Halloween gets here so I can buy these feather wings I saw at a Halloween store. They are 50 bucks right now.

Unread 10-17-2003, 01:34 AM   #8
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

Usagi Mylene, you might want to try the Green Pepper skating dress pattern I suggested earlier ^^. It's not perfect, but it's very easy to modify. And Joann's carries Green Pepper patterns! XD

And I think Eternal Moon's skirt might be a gathered circle. . .that's what the drawings suggest to me ^^;;.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2003, 03:03 AM   #9
Ayana
Accio!

I did a bit of searching and found the pattern I was talking about ^_^ It's Kwik Sew Leotards #2310, or you can just see it here at the Hancock fabrics site. There's a little altering that would need to be done, but mainly it's changing it from a scoop neck to v-neck.

And Eternal Sailormoon's skirt looks to be a gathered circle skirt to me, too.

under-the-gun.org
Ayana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2003, 10:50 PM   #10
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

==Senshi Fuku==

I used a regular white cotton/lycra (matte finish) leotard for the base of mine, and then cut and resewed the front into the type of V-neck that I needed (and surprisingly, it was simple and holds REALLY well.. ^_^)

Mine's kind of both. It's attached, but by a few stitches, at the bottom of the 'V' of the v-neck. A couple of snips to the collar, and it's off and can be replaced for another senshi. ^^

It's made to slip over my head after I step into/pull up the leotard. (it's actually a dance leotard, so there aren't any snaps on the crotch of it.)

Wonderful, wonderful sculpy and acrylic paint, and high-gloss varnish. ^^ Make a Sculpy ball, squish it flat with the palm of your hand, and bake. ^^ Oh, and sanding them before you paint is a good thing. ^^

I wanted it accurate, so yes. Mine's got three arm tube thingers (which will eventually be redone for a later costume, but yeah.. ^^ and they're attached separately to the costume. I'm going to try making them out of one strip of fabric sometime though.. ^^; And the skirt thing is just another tube that basically comes to a point on the ends, and is sewn to look like a 'v' in front. A _low_ V.

Newport News. They're PERFECT for Sailormoon. XD

Honestly, I don't like them, and I refuse to use them if I can find actual shoes simliar to the ones I need.

I bought it previously. It's metal, and attaches to my (real) hair with velcro. ^^ I"m going to have another made though by a local custom jewelry place soon.

I've got a moon stick and a transformation brooch made from Sculpy and various paints/plastic jewels for the costume. So yes.

-Anime or manga?

A mix of myu, anime, and manga, actually...and a bit of original design. ^^

-What fabric types?

Cotton/lycra for the leotard, some stretchy stuff for the puffed tubes, and then a foil metallic stretch stuff for the skirts/collar. Oh, and I used a braided cord for the stripes. ^^;

My husband's grandma originally was making it, and it would've only cost about $50.00 had she done it right (not including wig or boots). Now it's up to about... $150.00 (not including wig, but including boots.)

It's a circle skirt. It's got a couple of _small_ pleats, to make it hang correctly, but beyond that, no.

Seen it, but have no desire to use it. I looked it over well when it first came out and didn't want to have anything to do with it.. ^^;

It's a blue shield-type shape, but I don't know what the white embroidery on it is. o.o; Looks like a crown to me.

The school fuku attach (I assume) all along the neckline, and open in the front, because their new shirts are button-down. As for the senshi fuku, they attach from the inside.

Nope. I don't like the new design (and why are they turning Usagi's senshi fuku from red/blue to pink/blue???) x.X;;; I dislike the round collar backs of the school fuku, and I dislike the skirts of the senshi fuku. I also don't like the way they chose to do the shields of the upper parts of the senshi fuku.
newmyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 02:22 AM   #11
Usagi Mylene
Um.. No!

Thanks you guys for the pattern advice. They will really help me out.

My next mission is getting the wig done for Usagi.

@.@!

Unread 10-28-2003, 07:54 PM   #12
Lady_Sephiroth
Lady of Avalon

I've done 2 anime/manga (Moon and Pluto) and I'm almost, almost done with my Myu Pluto.

==Senshi Fuku==
Moon -- Leotard. Plutos -- Green Pepper all the way!

All 3 of them are removeable. Don't ask how many snapes are on the Myu. (I don't know how to set zippers so I had to improvise.)

Snaps and more snaps.

Pluto is a plastic ring wrapped in fabric. Moon is sequins and Myu is Sculpey.

Yes. Fluff.

I make bootcovers for everything. I can make good ones fairly quickly now.

I like them is they look accurate and done well.

Wire and various fabrics. Plastic Rhinestones.

I have Moon's wands, and I have the stuff to make a Time Key but I need to find a drill press.

-Anime or manga?
Yes. Myu too.

-What fabric types?
Moon -- Silkessence. It's soo flowy!
Pluto -- Baroque Satin. Yes Satin. It looks good!
Myu -- Casa Crepe and the requisite crapload of trim.

Too Much.

For the regular senshi dresses, no I was going for the flowy manga look. For the Myu, sort of.

No.

I Like the stuffed breastplate effect on the new senshi uniforms. It's the best way I've ever seen to capture the bustline that I've never really seen captured.
Lady_Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2003, 03:26 PM   #13
Cait

*bump*

So, about those new PGSM kids.... Does anyone think they will be recognised at conventions?
Unread 12-09-2003, 03:40 AM   #14
Alanna-chan
pwning ninjas since 1988

Actually, I used a dress that already had a line underneath the bust and cut off the entire bottom and just used that

Attached

All the way around

Sculpey

No but I regret it

Payless

Didn't need them it was mars

Card board base, alumnum foil to make it metallic and yellow cellophane to make it gold-ish

Yeah

-Anime or manga?
Anime

-What fabric types?
Fake silk (not satin/satan) and cotton

Dunno, didn't get everything at once, but shoes were about $10, gloves $16 and the red part about $10-$20 and everything else, I had already.

Yeah but didn't press them

McWho's?

Two wrongs don't make a right, but two rights make a u-turn. Except in America, where you'd be on the "wrong side" of the road, because you're either "with us" or you're "against us."

~Otakon 2011 Line Up:~
*Leeloo/ The Fifth Element*
*Sailor Saturn/ Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon*
*San/ Princess Mononoke*
Alanna-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2003, 11:54 AM   #15
Fénicia
Professional Seamstress

Thumbs up

For both my Sailor-outfits (Sailor Mars and Eternal Sailor Moon) I used a pattern for a figure skating outfit (Butterick n°5781) and straitend up the back seem where the skirt comes. Those are just full circles hemmed with thik fishingwire.
For the collar I used a pattern from a marine sailor outfit.
For my Sailor Moon wings I used white cardboard cut to size, sandwiched some wire in between 2 layers of cardboard and hotglued the featheers on.
I've used the hair from a long-haired wig to make the buns.
Before I started I pinned down the cap of the wig to a foam wigbase. Then I made 2 pigtails and left a part for the frontpart, that I cut to length. I've attachted 2 open-uped extentions to eacht tail, the I curled up to tail to a nice bun and pinned it to itself. For extra support I've gluegunned the extentions and the buns to the base of the wig.
Some pics: the first one, the second one