Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
indiraptor

Arms/Biceps Without Weights

I've gained a bit of weight since starting college and it's spread to my arms. They currently have unsightly deep red stretch marks running down them, and I've decided it's time to tone up. I've found many workouts with weights or elastic bands, but I have neither. I can do pushups, but they are seriously the bane of my existence. I can suck it up and do pushups if it means getting in shape again, but are there any other workouts I can do that concentrate on your arms?

Spider-Man (Spiderman) - 15%
Matryoshka Gumi (Vocaloid) - 0%
Rigby (Regular Show) - 5%
Miria Harvent (Baccano!) - 0%

indiraptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
BlindJustice

chin-ups (biceps), diamond push-ups (triceps), dips (advanced triceps), inverted pronated rows, there's so many different exercises.
if you have a chance, http://www.youtube.com/user/TheF0rtress

this guy does it all with no equipment, and i got pretty fit using bodyeight only and eating right.
Unread 12-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
indiraptor

Ah thanks! And thanks for the link, I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Unread 12-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

Chances are, a lot of that weight is in the underarm area (most people have this issue, including myself)

There's a pushup I do that targets this area specifically.

You remember as a kid, walking around on all fours like a crab? We used to call it the crab-walk. That's where you start in a sitting position, and bring your hands behind you and hoist your butt off the ground? Well, this pushup is kinda like a crab walk pushup. Get into that crab walk position, and for the pushup, you bend your elbows (so the come out behind you) until your butt is almost on the ground, then lift up again. You can do various difficulties by lifting a leg up as you do this. And believe me, it's not nearly as hard as a regular pushup!
Unread 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Antifreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindJustice View Post
chin-ups (biceps), diamond push-ups (triceps), dips (advanced triceps), inverted pronated rows, there's so many different exercises.
if you have a chance, http://www.youtube.com/user/TheF0rtress

this guy does it all with no equipment, and i got pretty fit using bodyeight only and eating right.
This most exercises that use your arms will help them get in shape.
Antifreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
nikkiolie

You can also easily make weights. Just get two gallons of water and fill it to the point that works best for you (half way, 3/4 full whatever) and you can use that as weights. You can do curls with that, triceps extensions, vertical and lateral raise, shoulder press. My arms have gotten very toned from doing those exercises. On top of push ups, bench press, and pull ups. I can't lift too much either. I can pretty much do 20lbs for most arm exercises so the gallon of water should work really well. If water is too light, put sand in the jugs instead.

But here is a shot of how my arms look now https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...75298677_o.jpg

(sorry for always showing the picture but I love the way my arms look) And pretty much the only thing that I do that works my arms that you couldn't do with body weight or a gallon jug is bench press. You could do the bench press with the jugs but it may get to a point where there is not enough weight you can put in them.

Good Luck!

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Bovice

To add on to Nikkiolie's post; if water becomes too light, you can alternatively fill them with sand instead. Just make sure you don't bust them or you're going to make a huge mess (good to reinforce with duct tape).

Also, an alternative to bench pressing with them is putting books or other weighty objects into a book bag and doing push ups while wearing them. This would also apply to your dips and pull ups.

At the gym, I do weighted pull ups with heavy dumbbells in between my legs. At home, I do them with my backpack filled with weight plates, since I don't have a dumbbell set. (but instead of weight plates you can use anything really, just try to use flat things like books so it's not jagged/uncomfortable on your back).
Bovice is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
indiraptor

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll definitely try some of these out. I really appreciate the time you took to answer.