Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 12-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #16
CobaltTempest

1. Feeling more comfortable/confident in clothing of the opposite gender.
2. Easier association with characters of the opposite gender.
3. Blurring the gender line can be a fun challenge.

My cosplay/photography work
Facebook | tumblr | deviantArt | World Cosplay

Yaoi-Con 2014 - MAYBE

Pacific Media Expo 2014
Nishikino Maki (もぎゅっと"LOVE"で接近中) - Love Live! School idol project
Kosaka Honoka (僕らは今のなかで) - Love Live! school idol project
CobaltTempest is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #17
Xitsune_AL

Smile Why do it?

I have yet to cosplay or even crossplay, but in the future, I really want to.

Crossplay is a challenge; to make yourself pass as the opposite gender is a great feeling indeed. It is also fun (whether you passed or not). If you do pass, the illusion of being a female character for a day and people not knowing you were male (or vice versa) until you revealed it is great.

Sometimes male characters are boring and you want to crossplay, since female characters have more choices and magic to them. Female characters are more interesting and attractive as well. Another reason would be that you really love the character and you just to crossplay as them and not let your gender stop you from doing so.

Lastly, proving that crossplay can be done wonderfully even when you're not the opposite gender is an achievement. Above all, having fun and being very convincing as a cosplayer or crossplayer is the key to all cosplays and crossplays!

Takao from Aku no Hana (DONE)
Nepgear from Hyperdimension Neptunia
A Character creation project

------

"...no one can rival the passion I have to express my work."
"Above all, everyone has the chance to stand in the sparkling stage."

~Nonomy
Xitsune_AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #18
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

You know, it's fun watching people's responses. So many males think the female characters are more interesting, while so many females think the male characters are interesting. I know we're talking about crossplay, but it's amusing to see.

Working on:
First Doctor Bathing Suit, The Doctor, Dawn, Shigure Sohma, GIR, Science Officer [DS9]

Eventually:
Science Officer [TNG], Science Officer [FC], Pirogoeth (D&D oc), The Dude (on The Grid)
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #19
SirSlarty
Seizon Senryakuuuuuuuuuuu

My reasons as a straight male crossplayer:

The series I really love has an all female cast (with very few exceptions). I could genderbend and I don't mind people who do but I prefer sticking closer to the original designs. Also, hats.

There aren't that many venues where I can express myself wearing clothes of the opposite gender. People at anime conventions are very tolerable about crossplay. The area I live is very conservative. Just wearing the wrong color combination in daily wear can get you funny looks.

Cosplay in general make conventions more fun. Crossplay doubly so.

I can pretend to be a cute girl for a day or a weekend. In essence, the opposite of what I am.

The compliments I receive always outweigh any negatives (if any) that I get. I've only been made fun of once while in cosplay and I was NOT crossplaying at the time.

Sometimes I just really, really hate wearing pants.
SirSlarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #20
SoriddoSneku

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
The compliments I receive always outweigh any negatives (if any) that I get. I've only been made fun of once while in cosplay and I was NOT crossplaying at the time.
I find it funny that, having read over everyone's stories about their experiences, it seems rare that people who crossplay seem to get any negative feedback explicitly about their crossplaying. I've had people who would tell me nothing but horror stories about conventions and crossplay. I don't doubt people have bad experiences here and there, and I don't know what I was expecting to learn, but I didn't think people would have such positive experiences with this stuff. It's pretty cool, nonetheless XP
SoriddoSneku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #21
animelover996
Anime<3

Why do it? The actual question is, why not do it? I find it to be fun. Not to mention what's wrong with it? Nothing. The point of being in a costume is to change your identity. Therefore you can become ANY character. You can take on the identity of Kakashi or Sakura Haruno, whether male or female.
animelover996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by animelover996 View Post
The point of being in a costume is to change your identity. Therefore you can become ANY character. You can take on the identity of Kakashi or Sakura Haruno, whether male or female.
Someone once said to me while I was Sailor Mars, "You can't wear that costume - you're not a girl!"

I said, "I'm also not a temple priestess and Japanese, but that doesn't seem to be stopping any of the other Rei Hino cosplayers this weekend..."

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #23
Korinnies
Pirate Kween!

Haha I just like dressing up as a man!

Upcoming cons: Anime California 2014, Anime LA 2015, Anime Expo 2015

Next cosplays: X Drake genderbend half dinosaur - One Piece 45%, Ryuko Matoi- Kill La Kill , Rebecca- One Piece 20%
Korinnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #24
shaido
that guy with a bike

I know it's already been mentioned, but for me, the challenge of transforming a scarred up car guy into something entirely the opposite, and passable as such, is, in a word, irresistible!

Not to mention the fact that it's just plain fun, whether you cross or not, I know I saw it in a sig somewhere, but if you aren't having fun, either you need more horsepower (irrelevant here), or you're doing it wrong.

And, well, pants DO get annoying. No, really!
Unread 12-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #25
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaido View Post
When it's 100 degrees outside, and the other guys are in armor, jackets, and/or long coats, I'm so grateful for the air-conditioned comfort of my pink lightweight school fuku

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #26
YuPuffin
Claims to be a puffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaido View Post
I think it's funny you say that, because I've always thought the opposite - dresses and skirts are the most annoying, and I'd rather wear pants whenever possible. I guess it's just a perspective difference. :P

Oh yeah, that's another reason I like to crossplay, because a lot of female characters (not all of them, of course... but quite a few) wear dresses or skirts and I don't like those very much .n.

Upcoming Cosplays
Devit (D.Gray-man) - Halloween 2014 [maybe]
Rosalie (Tactics) - Early 2015

Cosplays I want to do later
Lucidia (Original character), Sakumo (UTAU), Senkro (Spectrobes), Aihi (Kekkaishi), Keiichi Shimizu (La Corda d'Oro)
YuPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #27
meb9000

It is definitely very funny and interesting that the male and female perspective for crossplay is quite often the wish to shed oneself of the hindrances of typical anime costumes associated with their gender

Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney series)

Weiss Schnee (RWBY)

Chitoge Kirisaki (Nisekoi)

Yukino Yukinoshita (Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU)
meb9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #28
Khorrupt

As a straight female crossplayer, my reasons are simply...

1. Female characters usually suck. If I'm a fan of this series and I want to show it, why would I "show it" dressed as this female character that I hate instead of this male character that I love?

2. Makeup is my absolute 100% no-question favourite part of cosplay. Putting on makeup as a female (for any character) is basic. Putting on makeup for a male character is not always so.

3. I dislike skirts a lot. If I cosplay a male -- bam, problem solved. No more skirts.

4. I think it also gives me a sense of elevated confidence somehow. If you're a female and not "acting like one" then you must be trashy. If you "are a guy", then all bets are off for the most part. I don't act like a total douche or do stupid things I wouldn't usually do when I'm crossplaying, but I do "loosen the reins" a little because, well, being from the South...it's not "ladylike" to do 75% of stuff that people do at conventions. When I crossplay, I say, screw it.

5. Going along with the previous thing, more confidence in that, yeah, I'm overweight. It's not a secret. But it really sucks to be reminded, especially when you're in a costume. I wear my full Lolita costume to a convention where people don't know the character, and it's, "ew, she's fat." I wear my full Salieri costume to a convention where people don't know the character, and the worst I get is, "Cool costume bro, but I have no idea who you are."

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~Princess Aurora [ Blue ] (Sleeping Beauty) - 45% complete
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #29
animelover996
Anime<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyVinylAres View Post
Someone once said to me while I was Sailor Mars, "You can't wear that costume - you're not a girl!"

I said, "I'm also not a temple priestess and Japanese, but that doesn't seem to be stopping any of the other Rei Hino cosplayers this weekend..."
That's so true! It really doesn't matter what you are not when you cosplay, it's what you are. Are you wearing a costume of Allen Walker? Are you Allen Walker? Yes. Am I a girl? Does that matter?! Anyone can cosplay! Just because your not something doesn't mean you can't cosplay. ANYONE can become ANYTHING they want to be.
animelover996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #30
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

Why? Because I am transgender and the only way I can be around others without harassment or abuse is through cosplay. I find so many crossplay and are not bothered the slight by it. Mind you they do it for the convention, not their entire life but the ydo it and have fun doing it. Heck some are so amazing you would swear the ywere meant ot be the gender they portray. I am tired of society bashing us into oblivion as fetishists. I just want t obe me and since i got into cosplay 2 years ago i have been happier and more alive. I can wear nice lolita and uniforms and nobody says anythig nnegative about it. I was worried that age would also be an issue but the omre I get into this the mroe I realize that even age is irrelevant. It's all about attitude and how you carry yourself. As i mentioned in another thread its not the outfit that makes one slutty. School uniforms are skimpy yes but how you carry yourself in public in it says a lot about the person you really are. I have never been so happy. This white album 2 outfit my friend got me custom made really suits me and despite what some would call a schoolgirl fetish i think wow for the first time in 2 decades i can wear a uniform again he he. I have never felt so safe and happy in my life thanks to conventions. I should have done this years ago

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote