Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #106
spiritualizes

Ah, well, it's hard to not feel this way sometimes - I'm pretty comfortable with my body but it doesn't mean I'm satisfied, I'm dieting and starting my workout regime so I can lose weight in this next year for cosplay, and in general as well.

I think, it's about choosing which cosplays you want to do and slowly becoming more comfortable with your body so that you don't feel hindered by any expectation to be "super-skinny" for a costume, it's more about staying healthy and confident while having fun cosplaying!

sakura haruno, shippuden (naruto) 70% | morgiana (magi) 75%

spiritualizes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #107
San the Red Fox

i've felt the same way, I really have. But not that long ago i answered my own question as to why i treat myself so badly. And everyone's answer to that question can vary. Not only that, but also what triggered that thought into your own subconscious. For me, it was due to constant ridicule since childhood. From abusive adults, fellow students bullying you, to EVEN family treating you harshly.
The only reason why I don't treat myself so bad anymore is because someone very dear to me constantly reminds me that I don't look as bad as I originally thought. So the questions to ask yourself are: "How high is my self-esteem?", "What moment in time made me feel this way about myself?","Was I bullied?"
or
262-757-3599 (in USA)

San the Red Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #108
Smochi

I feel like this ALL the time. Anime isn't very forgiving to bigger people, and sometimes I just sit down and cry after finishing a cosplay because I put all of this work into a garment only to have it look bad because of the person wearing it.

But rarely do I let people know that. I go to the con and fake a smile, and guess what? People are surprisingly nice! I get few jokes but then again we all do. When I think back about when I'm happiest, it's when I'm at cons. In my cosplay! So I try to remember that when making future stuff. I'm trying to lose weight, but I ought not let it control my happiness in the meantime.
Smochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #109
RukiaBunnyPyon
SHSL Yandere

I know exactly how you feel. Aside from being overweight I am either always on crutches or in a wheelchair so exercising isn't much of a help. I am super self conscious when I try to cosplay or even when ordering cosplay...I have yet to have anyone make fun of me (to my face) because of my weight or crutches and generally people at cons are pretty nice to me. I have found, though, despite it all if you can find a character you properly connect with as well as what clothes/costume designs accent your curves then it actually can boost your confidence.

At the last con I went to in July I cosplayed Edward Elric (I am 5 foot tall) and it was actually quite a hit because alot of people joked with me about my automail not working and that was why I was on crutches. You just have to find the right characters, I promise.
Unread 10-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #110
Melancholy Wish
Tsundere

I'm not even fat and I still feel this way.
Melancholy Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #111
sayaka magica
paniponi dash!

Listen, I have even worse problems.
I'm dark-skinned, a muslim girl w/ parents who are against anime, and I have very limited choices for who I can cosplay.
Like Miyuki Takara (Lucky Star) and Homura Akemi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica).
Don't let your weight get in the way of your cosplay!
You're the lucky one.
sayaka magica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #112
peacelovepandas

I see all kinda of people discouraged from cosplay because of their weight, and it makes me feel bad, because I've been 5'3" and 110 pounds all my life, so I never really had the problem of being overweight. I always had the "You're not as pretty as ______" or "You wouldn't look good cosplaying _______". But I see it in the same light as cosplaying with glasse, which is something i do- You don't need to be stick figure thin to cosplay who you want. Anime characters are almost always patetically thin, but you don't have to be to look downright awesome. Same as you can cosplay characters that don't normally wear glasses, with glasses- and still look awesome. So fit like your body shape discourage you an unless it is threatening your health, don't try to chane who you are, because some divine being made you that way with a purpose in mind :3
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #113
peacelovepandas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayaka magica View Post
Listen, I have even worse problems.
I'm dark-skinned, a muslim girl w/ parents who are against anime, and I have very limited choices for who I can cosplay.
Like Miyuki Takara (Lucky Star) and Homura Akemi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica).
Don't let your weight get in the way of your cosplay!
You're the lucky one.
I'm a Native American Christian girl who got all but disowned from her family for cosplaying, so you and I are in the same boat. But weight, religion and skin color should all be put aside because none of that matters- in the end, we are all just nerds in costume. It's a shame that television is trying to make it so much more than that...
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #114
sayaka magica
paniponi dash!

Aww! Then I guess you're right. Are you Kyouko Sakura in your forum avatar?
sayaka magica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #115
Nova417
I like penguins

I'm overweight, according to my doctor. I weight about 167.0lbs (since I just weighed myself twenty minutes ago). However, in my defense, I'm not sure my doctor really files in my total muscle mass. I mean.. I've been walking at least two to six miles a day, for the past four or five years. So, I have no fat whatsoever on my thighs or calves. Muscle weighs more than fat, right? I'm pretty sure it does.. But sue me if I'm incorrect.

Relating back to this post, I have to admit I'm usually okko with my weight and overall appearance. Until I get to the actual convention. Then I usually see other people cosplaying my character, and I get self-conscious. Usually I just hide behind KAITO and wait until they leave so I can assure myself that I'm fine.

I mean, I get compliments a lot. (This is all based on when I'm cosplaying my main character Kagamine Len) People say, "Oh, you're absolutely adorable!" or "Hey! Can I get a picture with you Nova?". So, I think my whole issue with myself is me. I put myself down way too much, and unless people are lying to me, I'm a pretty attractive person-

I'm sure we all just feel this way because it's normal.. Just like jealousy, right?

2014Cosplays
~ Rover [Gijinka] (Planning)
~ Jack/Mark [Main Chara of HM: A Wonderful Life](Planning)
~ Ayumi Shinozaki [Corpse Party](Planning)

"I really like penguins and cola."
-Nova417
Nova417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #116
RebelGrrl

I am medically obese, but over the last few years I've started to get a better view of myself and my body. I still don't love how I look all the time, but I've gotten better and cosplay has been a part of that, along with playing roller derby.

When I'm in costume I'm not thinking as much about how I look, how people can see my bare arms, I just have fun.

Not always perfect, unfortunately. I recently discarded cosplaying as the Scarlet Witch because of how certain parts of it clung to my legs and hips.

I do have to choose carefully and sometimes, yeah, it seems like there's no character I like that can be done well in my size, but I still want to try.
Harley Quinn- Batman (my own variation)
Rogue- X-Men (X-Men Legacy costume)

Planning
Mystique
Merida- Brave
RebelGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #117
Kingin

Man guess I'm not alone with my self confidence Olin my body. For me I'm 6'1"ish and weigh like 215 to 220 pounds. Most to all my friends near me are lean or workout tons and have big muscle. I have muscle but its hard a hell to get slimmer. I have wide body broad shoulders and such. A friend told me I should cosplay as cloud and I was like if only I was leaner n muscler
I hate society saying ya gotta be this thin to be attractive its wrong. But hey least I know I'm not alone right.
Kingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #118
BlindJustice

get it outta your head! you can do anything. you don't need a diet or a cosplay that fits your body type, you just need to be creative and have FUUuuuUUUUuuUUUUUn!