Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #181
LillyOfTheVally
Seamstress

I started out with a 300$ singer. It was not worth the money, bobbin was constantly jamming, when it worked it would bridnest like crazy. I chucked it when I went to to college and used the Berninna's in the sewing room. Hated that one to. I really just think they didn't like me!

My dad bought me a Husqvarna Emerald 118 and I am in Love! I have had her for three years and never had a problem. She's pretty quite, very smooth and has tons of stitches and features.
My other Machine is a Benina 1010, an all metal uber-heavy son of a gun. Never had a problem with her either. She's great for heavy duty and I sew all my corsets on her.
LillyOfTheVally is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #182
7trainrat

I have the Kenmore 19110 sold by Sears. My sewing instructor said they are made by Janome but labeled as the Sears Kennore brand to sell in their stores. I got it on sale for $199 and it has got me through many sewing projects. I've done heavy vinyl on it, which it does but not as easily a more expensive machine. It got many good reviews on PatternReview.com which is a great place to look up reviews by brand/model. Sears also has a good return policy if you try it and don't like it.

Unfortunately I think Sears may be discontinuing their sewing machines because they got rid of them at my local Sears.
7trainrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #183
lemuries

For more than ten years, I've been using a Pfaff 7570. It's a powerhouse. I can put cloth, garment leather, plastic screening, cardstock, and thin cardboard through and it just eats it up. At its advanced age, I can't put the more complex embroidery programs through it without getting a fail, and it's so old that it can't do the larger formats, but it's been up to every other task I've asked of it.

I ran a rivet through my serger and ruined it and replaced it with a BrotherLock 1034D 4-strand and it's been fine. It was a rare day when I needed that fifth cone and I really haven't missed it.

I do tend to use quite a few of the bells and whistles on my Pfaff, but for a serger, I haven't needed anything but a basic stitch and the ability to adjust between thin fabrics and stiff ones.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #184
Kate-chan
red panda extraordinaire

My first (personal) machine was a Janome Sew Mini. Since I was in college and getting back to sewing after years of not doing it I decided to buy this one to get the hang of it again. After two years I upgraded a year ago with my Brother XL2600i, which I like a lot for the most part.
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #185
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Just acquired this baby a few months ago. 1940s era Elna Grasshopper straight stitch machine. Apparently the first free arm machine designed for domestic use. This tiny belt driven machine is a miniature beast! I love it so much. A friend of my mom's found it in his basement after a flood. It belonged to his mother-in-law before she passed away several years ago. When I first took it out of the case, it still worked though the belt was very warped. I took it for cleaning and oiling, got a new belt, and it's now the best sewing machine I own.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #186
Kate-chan
red panda extraordinaire

Dizzymonochrome, that looks so badass! I especially love that it's green! Excellent find!
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #187
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Now I have a second baby to work on. I'm in fashion school, and our school machines are Industrial Juki lockstitch machines (and Juki sergers, but I really don't like serging. I suck at it and every week someone cuts themself on the machines... maybe they should quit wearing 5-inch heels to SEWING class...). Love them, except for the foot attachments. They love to keep working loose every ten minutes. All cosplay work has still been done with my Singer merrit.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #188
chasingme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthema View Post
I kid you not, I use an old fashion push peddle singer sewing machine. I find they are better for heavier fabrics. Eg. Heavy Denim, Wetsuit Material, foam rubber, canvas.

Most of my other projects is had been done on my mum's 25 year old Bernina Sewing Machine.
I know this is an old post, but I've got an old Singer push pedal machine at home as well that my grandmother taught me to sew on when I was little. These are great for young 'uns because I could control the speed better and be less likely to sew my fingers. I completely agree that they're wonderful for heavy fabrics (although I haven't done any work on it for a long time)!

Otherwise I just own a little Elna Mini. Cheap as I could get at the time and only does the basic stitches. I love it though, really hard to do anything wrong with it and does the job as long as you don't force it to do something completely unreasonable.

Hoping to inherit my Grandmother's old Brother as well.
chasingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #189
cresap

I'm using a 1950's Singer 66. I am a beginner sewer and a beginner costume maker. It sews straight, you can adjust upper tension easily and it allows you to change the number of stitches per inch. Those are the functions it provides. Anything else you use an attachment on the foot that actually is powered off up and down motion and it moves the material under the foot.

It's actually kind of fun learning how to do stuff on a piece of history.
cresap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #190
MissLumetta

I could post photos, but I use roughly 22 different industrial machines (sewing machines and sergers) with their own unique functions (some have basic ones so I don't need to constantly switch machines, but there are special things that make each one unique). I also have 2 industrial sergers, a machine that designed to sew though thick fabrics like jeans and even real leather and the special machine called an "Overlock Machine". This machine does the function of a twin needle but uses 3-4 thread cones and is also industrial. So that means I don't have to set any of the other machines up for twin needle work. Only thing I don't have is a machine that does embroidery. I also have a machine that creates the fancy hems where you can't see the stitching.

Then again, tailoring and alterations is my mom's business, so it'd make sense that I have access to all these machines as these are what helps my mom make a living.

Last edited by MissLumetta : 11-23-2013 at 10:00 PM.
MissLumetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #191
Falclon

Long Version: Looking at getting a new machine soon. I really want to be able to do embroidery but I also need a normal sewing machine. I was looking at the Brother SE400 but today when I was taking my serger in for repairs the employee there made it sound like a really low quality machine. I'm sure part of it was him trying to sell me one of the more expensive machines they had in the store but it still worried me. I am also considering getting both the Brother CS6000i and the Brother PE770 (I like that it has the 5x7 hoop). Does anyone know anything about these three machines and the pros and cons of a combination versus separate machines?

Short Version:
Brother SE400
or
Brother CS6000i and PE770
Which would be better?
Unread 11-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #192
Penlowe

Falcon: most folks I know who do a lot of embroidery on their own machines have a separate machine for heavy duty work. Embroidery machines need to be delicate and precise, but a lot of costuming needs heavy duty machines. Trying to do the heavy duty construction on an embroidery capable machine shortens the life of the embroidery functions. Sorta like owning a sports car for your daily commute, but needing a truck for weekend landscaping work. Sure you can pile a lot of bricks into a little convertible, but it will do harm in the long run and be less efficient than having a truck bed to fill and make less trips.
Unread 12-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #193
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

So excited, just got a new bernina serger today, it was the series that does cover stitching as well and was discontinued right before the new series came out, someone donated it back for classes but because it isn't something they use in classes I ended up getting it for an early Christmas present
yay!
Unread 12-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #194
netmanx

i just bought a new brother CE8080 so i can sew at home
netmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:11 AM   #195
CharlesHolder

I have the sewing machine and purchase one juki serger machine just now.It is great
CharlesHolder is offline   Reply With Quote