Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime LA

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
Hazel Chaz

Anime Los Angeles 2014 complaints and suggestions

Anime Los Angeles 10 ended two days ago. Anyone have a burning complaint they want to share here? Admin, mods, will you please make this thread sticky too?
April: Cosplay Sewing Circle (2014-04-15); Anime Conji (starts 2014-04-18)
May: Baycon (starts 2014-05-23)
Hazel Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
Amethyst Nat

Had another great time at ALA!

However, here are a few little nitpicks:
- Its great that there was finally the swap meet. However maybe next year it can be held in a bigger room? Cause it was a small room so they only let in a few people at a time, which was good organization, but it was still a long wait.
- the cosplay repair room needs dental putty/glue in the makeup station, for costume teeth that fall out (like my vampire fang caps did).
- People were still really loud in the bedroom hallways really late at night.
-Maybe serve coffee in the con suite?

But that's all I can really think of. Everything else was great as usual, and I even noticed improvements from the years before! ^^
Amethyst Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Admyr

ALA had another successful year, and I enjoyed much of the con with the time I had.

The event I most enjoyed:
WORLD COSPLAY WRESTLING
Though no one knew what to expect it turned out extremely well. The room was overpacked, but this is more than likely due to unknown expectations. Kinda wish I would have been able to audition, but not a whole lot of info was available on it in the first place.

The let-down:
Registration Limits
It was kind of a hassle this year when I am about to register a week before the con and see a message that says online registration was closed and only a limited number of badges were available on Day 0. I understand why there is a limit - it's common sense that the hotel cannot hold everyone. I just wish I was given ample warning especially since before this year I, and many other people, had the convenience of purchasing a badge at the door on Day 1. I learned my lesson for next year, but it would have been nice to have a more direct warning rather than a message on the ALA front page (direct email via registration info maybe?). I don't really know the answer to this predicament, but I think it is something worth trying to resolve for everyone's benefit.

Overall,
I enjoy this convention every year, and I hope to continue attending in the future. Everyone is nice, and you eventually run into everyone at multiple points during the con. It's amazing how much it's grown and catered to everyone. I, and many other people, would love to see it flourish in the future.
Admyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
Nemuren
Great King of Evil

This was my first ALA, and I had a wonderful time. I was surprised at the amount of things to do for a smaller convention. A dedicated Rock Band room! Clearly, this is a con after my own heart.

My only complaint is the noise level at night. I was on the fifth floor, and it seemed to be just as much a "party floor" as the one actually designated as such. Is there anything that can be done by hotel or ALA staff about this? At the very least, I hope something can be done about loud conversations being held in the hallways at 3 in the morning.

But keep up the good work, and please bring Rock Band back!
Nemuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:40 AM   #5
ThatOneGal

little prob but nothing could be done

loved the con two things bothered me the limitation of tickets and something that no one could control but con goers and probably better staff at hand at the time. on the second day someone broke glass in the pool me not knowing this went in with my sister and my boyfriend and he stepped on glass it was kinda bad then security came and told us afterwards that the pool was closed... keep in mind we started at the shallow end and walked from there to the middle and they watched us go in! thats mainly my only complaint he couldnt enjoy the last day and had to stay in the room since his foot hurt him so bad...
ThatOneGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:31 AM   #6
Access

The only thing I can think of right now, for some reason around midnight Saturday-into-Sunday the starfield / milky way light on the patio was turned off, not sure why (if it failed or was planned to be shut off around midnight); was trying to take some photos there.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:03 AM   #7
Hazel Chaz

Some responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst Nat View Post
- Its great that there was finally the swap meet. However maybe next year it can be held in a bigger room? Cause it was a small room so they only let in a few people at a time, which was good organization, but it was still a long wait.
We're considering this. It was our first time and we didn't know how popular it would be. Question, would it make a difference to you which night it was on (such as Thursday)?

Quote:
- the cosplay repair room needs dental putty/glue in the makeup station, for costume teeth that fall out (like my vampire fang caps did).
Huh. That's a new one. I'll pass that onto the Costume Repair Station head.

Quote:
- People were still really loud in the bedroom hallways really late at night.
Which floor? We may be able to do something about it if you let Ops know during the convention. (You can pick up the house phone and ask the hotel operator for "Boardroom.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuren View Post
My only complaint is the noise level at night. I was on the fifth floor, and it seemed to be just as much a "party floor" as the one actually designated as such. Is there anything that can be done by hotel or ALA staff about this? At the very least, I hope something can be done about loud conversations being held in the hallways at 3 in the morning.
Had you requested a quiet floor? In which case, I apologize for our putting you on so low a floor. I will look into whether the noisy 5th floor party had requested quiet or noisy; if they hadn't requested noisy, I'll have words with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admyr View Post
Registration Limits
It was kind of a hassle this year when I am about to register a week before the con and see a message that says online registration was closed and only a limited number of badges were available on Day 0. I understand why there is a limit - it's common sense that the hotel cannot hold everyone. I just wish I was given ample warning especially since before this year I, and many other people, had the convenience of purchasing a badge at the door on Day 1. I learned my lesson for next year, but it would have been nice to have a more direct warning rather than a message on the ALA front page (direct email via registration info maybe?). I don't really know the answer to this predicament, but I think it is something worth trying to resolve for everyone's benefit.
We normally close registration before the one-week mark anyway, you're really leaving it until the last minute... and we've been telling everyone all year that we have a membership cap. It was on the postcards we mailed out, for example.

I'll take this moment to tell you that next year is PRE-REG ONLY and it's open now on the website. Early Bird rate is $30 and it will never be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
The only thing I can think of right now, for some reason around midnight Saturday-into-Sunday the starfield / milky way light on the patio was turned off, not sure why (if it failed or was planned to be shut off around midnight); was trying to take some photos there.
Huh. I also noticed the lights in the escalators were turned off late at night. Wonder if it's related.
April: Cosplay Sewing Circle (2014-04-15); Anime Conji (starts 2014-04-18)
May: Baycon (starts 2014-05-23)
Hazel Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
Char350
MOTTO MOTTO!

Edited: question answered
Diamond/Lucas - Pokemon Platinum
Cheren - Pokemon Black & White
Ian Vashti - Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Katori Shingo - Bistro SMAP
Ikari Gai - Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger

Last edited by Char350 : 01-15-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Char350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Reeve

I was on the 4th floor and the noise at night was loudest from the pool area (I had a balcony). I later realized that the noise wasn't from the pool, but rather from parties occurring on the balconies. Perhaps in the future we can designate quiet floors and place the quieter rooms on those floors on the outer wall of the hotel (not facing the pool deck).

Also, the green room for the masquerade could have been a little larger, but I have already discussed this with masquerade staff. Perhaps for next time some things can be moved elsewhere for more space, such as the food for contestants being served in a separate room?

Overall, great convention. I had a blast.
Reeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
MadaraNoOkami
Morwen

Over all, it was a great convention and I still love ALA.

Some particularly awesome points
  • The new Access department
  • The addition of the swap meet
  • Starbucks open till 9
  • Gatherings listed on schedule

Some cons

* Hotel door to pool didn't open. I know this isn't specific to ALA, but this is an issue for me with the hotel. $116 a night is a great discount, but still not exactly cheap. For a room that usually costs $260 a night, I kind of expect to be able to use the door.

* This was the first time I participated in the masquerade, and while I had fun, it took up so much time that I feel like I missed Saturday entirely. I know some people don't mind, but for me, I would rather see it be a slightly smaller event and take up less of the contestants' time. I can say that I won't be entering again, I feel like I missed too much. I even feel like I missed the live feed of the masquerade itself because the green room was so incredibly loud.

* Swap meet does need to have more room, that line was insanely long.

A few suggestions

* You might consider asking the hotel to also supply the masquerade with coffee.
* The green room during the masquerade needs to either have wider isles, or more strict enforcement about not standing/sitting in the isles. It was so hard to move around in there.

That's about it from me!
MadaraNoOkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
Wobniar
Whooosh!!

Edit: Nevermind!

Upcoming cons:
Anime Los Angeles 2015
Anime Expo 2014

Costumes in Making:
Roxie/Homika (Pokemon)
Val'kyr (WoW)
Illusen (Neopets)

Last edited by Wobniar : 01-15-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Wobniar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

This was my first time ever at ALA and I was impressed with this convention. I had a great time and the convention had very well run feel to it. My main suggestion would be to have a real cosplay changing room and then it would be perfect. This convention really takes care of its cosplayer attendees very well because I saw the cosplay gatherings listed in the program guide.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #13
Yggdrasil Pie
WRYYYYYYY

Overall it was an enjoyable con for me, the only complaint I had was that it badge security was just a little TOO tight. I understand you don't want people ghosting the convention, but to go to places that should be public areas... it shouldn't be that difficult. I had a badge, and I decided to leave it in the hotel to move some stuff from my car (I honestly didn't think I'd need it to exit), and I was denied entry to the escalator for access to the parking lot. After that I just kept the badge on me, but with finding ribbons and stuff trailing down your badge, it might be just more convenient to leave it to pick up stuff, you know?

The thing was I still had my hotel key and they still wouldn't let me through.

Last edited by Yggdrasil Pie : 01-15-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Yggdrasil Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
Serey-chan
Blue-Eyed Machina Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediofTime View Post
My main suggestion would be to have a real cosplay changing room and then it would be perfect.
Random, but did you poke your head into the Ballroom Level restrooms? They are HUGE! ...at least, I know the women's restroom is--plenty of counter-space for makeup and so forth. Not saying that we SHOULDN'T have a changing room, of course!

Planned Appearances
Gallifrey One 2014
Wondercon 2014
Fanime 2014

Proud Member of We're Not Twins! Cosplay
Serey-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #15
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serey-chan View Post
Random, but did you poke your head into the Ballroom Level restrooms? They are HUGE! ...at least, I know the women's restroom is--plenty of counter-space for makeup and so forth. Not saying that we SHOULDN'T have a changing room, of course!
I used the ballroom-level men's room a couple times, and I can verify that it's also pretty damn big. It would work in a pinch for handling changing into cosplay.

Of course, a separate changing area would definitely be more sanitary than a communal restroom, since no one would be dealing with the whole pee on the floor thing. (Or at least, I hope they wouldn't.)

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote