Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
Chaobunny-san
Uguuu

Opinions on design for human Raava/Vaatu?

Hi everyone!

My friend and I are going to cosplay human Raava and Vaatu; here are the dresses we will be wearing:

[img width=400]https://31.media.tumblr.com/359a8665f90de7ef3d51df06c002e81b/tumblr_mzvg1t6wv31qkrfd9o2_1280.jpg[/img]

I wanted to try and incorporate the pattern on the original character designs into the dresses, and I'm not sure how to do it or even if I should. We're going to accomplish a little bit of this with makeup but as for the dresses themselves, I can't decide if it would be too much to put some of the design in.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by Chaobunny-san : 02-09-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Chaobunny-san is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Penlowe

Lovely dresses!

For a variety of reasons, I would incorporate the design in body paint only.

1) it is important to decide how to incorporate the design before completing the dresses. Now if you mess up, you've ruined the whole thing. If you experiment on scraps and paint or applique before the garment is assembled, you have the ability to make changes (i.e. cut a new sleeve and start over) without ruining the whole thing. Also, painting and/or applique is much easier to accomplish when you are working with a single fabric piece and not completed garments.

2) you chose shiny fabrics, which are of the specific types that fray or snag quite easily. If applique goes awry a snag can run the entire length of that section, bust to floor. Also shiny fabric like you have chosen tend to be difficult to paint on as the weave wicks the paint out past the intended area very easily. They are tricky to work with.
Unread 02-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
Chaobunny-san
Uguuu

Thanks. You have a good point. I had originally planned it but changed my mind. The original design was actually to have a panel hanging down from the waist with the design on it like in this dress which I based my design on, and I was all prepared to do it but then when I cut out the fabric for that section it didn't look that great, partly because I made the robe fall in a bit more towards the center than in the reference picture. I'm afraid of messing stuff up now and I'm not about to start painting on the main dresses but I just wanted to see if there were ideas, ideally something I could attach on and not risk messing up the dresses as they are.

Most likely we will just use jewelry, I just wanted to see what ideas people had.

Last edited by Chaobunny-san : 02-09-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Unread 02-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Those are beautiful dresses! Nice choices!

It might be cool to incorporate it in body paint, but to do it in a Yakuza body paint style. I know this is a Japanese style and Avatar/Korra is set in a more Chinese inspired world, but it might still look really neat! (This would probably only work for a photo shoot though due to full back ness.)
Here are some examples; [1] [2] [3] [4] [5 - Specifically this kind of photo could be really cool~]
Unread 02-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
Penlowe

Make the panel anyway! Better to make a piece and not wear it than to wonder "what if?"
Unread 02-10-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
Chaobunny-san
Uguuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
Those are beautiful dresses! Nice choices!

It might be cool to incorporate it in body paint, but to do it in a Yakuza body paint style. I know this is a Japanese style and Avatar/Korra is set in a more Chinese inspired world, but it might still look really neat! (This would probably only work for a photo shoot though due to full back ness.)
Here are some examples; [1] [2] [3] [4] [5 - Specifically this kind of photo could be really cool~]
That looks cool! I'm personally not comfortable revealing that much of my body in a picture though, but it's definitely a cool concept. =) Maybe I can come up with some way to modify that idea and still stay covered up--I will consult the person cosplaying with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Make the panel anyway! Better to make a piece and not wear it than to wonder "what if?"
That's true! Maybe I'll give it a try =) Worst case I don't use it but I suppose it can't hurt since I have extra scraps of fabric that aren't doing anything just sitting there. One question: do you think transfer paper would be effective on that kind of fabric or no?
Unread 02-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
Penlowe

like iron on transfer paper? no, not really. Most synthetics are very sensitive to heat. Try applique.
Unread 02-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #8
Chaobunny-san
Uguuu

Okay, thanks!