Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 02-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
karmakate

Critique on my latest handmade JSK?

Hello!

I've started getting into making my own lolita wear (as a broke college student I can't afford to shell out $2-300 for my dream dresses ), and I was wondering what you, EGL community of Coscom, think of me newest JSK? I've titled it 'Versailles', and it was quite the experience to make.

I've started entertaining the idea of making lolita in an indie-store setting, and I'd love some feedback or advice to keep in mind while working on that, too! Thank you all~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versaillesworn (3) (712x1280) coscom.jpg (132.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg versaillesback coscom.jpg (143.6 KB, 0 views)
karmakate is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

That is super cute! Only thing I'd advise is adding more "poof" under your skirt (such as a petticoat).

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
karmakate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
That is super cute! Only thing I'd advise is adding more "poof" under your skirt (such as a petticoat).
Thank you! And believe it or not, I am actually wearing two petticoats under that skirt! Sadly, they're Halloween-store quality petticoats, so they don't give as much poof as I'd like-- especially under a skirt as heavy as this one. I am looking at getting a more quality petticoat soon though, so hopefully that will help!
Unread 03-01-2014, 12:41 AM   #4
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

On the first pic..Are you holding the skirt up making it poofier? Or is that the poof those pettis give you? If that's the actual poof, I honestly think it looks fine. This is very cute. However, those pettis are going to crap out on you..fast..So you will eventually (more than likely soon) need to get a new one anyway..
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 02:53 AM   #5
karmakate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
On the first pic..Are you holding the skirt up making it poofier? Or is that the poof those pettis give you? If that's the actual poof, I honestly think it looks fine. This is very cute. However, those pettis are going to crap out on you..fast..So you will eventually (more than likely soon) need to get a new one anyway..
I am holding it out a little, sadly :'D It's not nearly as poofy as I'd like it to be, and oh trust me. They're already starting to crap out, so one of these days I'll be ordering a new, good one.
Unread 03-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #6
lemuries

An ignorant layman has taken one look at that outfit and thought you had it professionally done.

As a seamstress, I wondered if you couldn't make your own petticoats? I love making mine (I like to serge the hems a different color) and they don't crap out because I control the quality of materials and construction.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 02:43 AM   #7
karmakate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
An ignorant layman has taken one look at that outfit and thought you had it professionally done.
Oh my gosh, thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
As a seamstress, I wondered if you couldn't make your own petticoats? I love making mine (I like to serge the hems a different color) and they don't crap out because I control the quality of materials and construction.
Hm, I never thought about that! My serger right now i refusing to chain for me for whatever reason, but I do have one available to me through my school so I might do that. It would probably be cheaper than paying for one including shipping, so!
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
Pooshi
Manly Maiden

Hey, that's a very beautiful JSK, it seems more professional than Fan Plus Friends' outfit you know ! The only part I don't really like is surely the layer under all, it has no frill and seem too flat for me, you should add some frill or some lace ?
I really love how you put some pearls, it fits totally !! <3

You're skilled young lady, may I say young lolita haha.

(And you know, it's quite easy to sew on an extra puffy petticoat with some gaze, do not need to buy organza, just simple tulle it's ok. With only 2 layer of it you can get something verry puffy !)
Pooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
karmakate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooshi View Post
Hey, that's a very beautiful JSK, it seems more professional than Fan Plus Friends' outfit you know ! The only part I don't really like is surely the layer under all, it has no frill and seem too flat for me, you should add some frill or some lace ?
I really love how you put some pearls, it fits totally !! <3
Ahhh, thank you! and I am considering adding another layer of ruffles actually- when I finished the dress I was out of fabric and didn't have the money (or time) to run to grab another half yard or so to attach that last strip. When I get paid again I'll probably sit and do that, just to give it another bit of OOMPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooshi View Post
You're skilled young lady, may I say young lolita haha.

(And you know, it's quite easy to sew on an extra puffy petticoat with some gaze, do not need to buy organza, just simple tulle it's ok. With only 2 layer of it you can get something verry puffy !)
I'll keep that in mind, thank you!
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
Aisurutsuki

That is so adorable. I love it it looks really pretty. Don't just entertain the idea of having a store. You make an etsy account and put up dresses, I may buy one ^_~
Staffer Since 2001
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE HELIX ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aisurutsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
karmakate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisurutsuki View Post
That is so adorable. I love it it looks really pretty. Don't just entertain the idea of having a store. You make an etsy account and put up dresses, I may buy one ^_~
Thank you so much!! I actually do have a store open now- it's not an etsy account, but it is over here on storenvy I'm going to be opening up a storenvy account fairly soon, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Unread 04-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
Sparklewolfie

I think it's really good! Adding a last layer of ruffle on the bottom will definitely fix the sudden flatness.
I will follow you on storenvy too :3 I also have one but it's not Lolita-specific XD
Sparklewolfie is offline   Reply With Quote