Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 03-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #3016
Andvari

Well we will just have to wait and see I hope things are good
Andvari is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #3017
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPandaGirl View Post
Another fashion designer just got announced as a GoH :T
Yippee.

sicdedman, I think because AX used to be unique, they used to be capable of much more than they are capable of now. So it's natural to be disappointed. The only thing the AX of today has over the AX of five years ago is attendance, and that alone doesn't make for a good con.

Last edited by Access : 03-20-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #3018
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

It is suffering.

My wife has backed out of going this year. She said, "It just isn't as fun as it used to be," and I agree with her. I keep getting asked to attend because I do a lot of middle-man work in securing hotel rooms for friends going by themselves and finding places to eat for them on a whole.

If it wasn't for them and the work I do with Mission Start, I likely wouldn't attend since it's just not as much fun to pour more money than ever before into something that's delivering less than it did as a single-ballroom convention in 1993.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #3019
Waifu Beam
Waifu 4 Laifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
It is suffering.
Going to AX is major suffering.

I was talking to one of my teachers who attends cons sometimes and when I told him how much ticket prices are he was shocked at how expensive they were.

Gavin's Creeper Mom - [Achievement Hunter] | Gijinka!Carla - [Fairy Tail] | Butler!Alvin - [Tales of Xillia] ⋆

Next Stop: Ninja Con

Facebook - Instagram
Waifu Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #3020
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Just a guess, but they probably crammed the timetable of GOH announcements. Since most contracts were being negotiated after the previous convention and it is not properly signed until it gets closer to the event.

After all, SPJA's Anime Expo is the biggest anime con in North America, and having a convention's GOH back out last minute would cause huge waves, it is not a luxury that they have versus conventions who are not as high profile.

If they don't start announcing GOH's near Otakon's big announcements (due to convention date proximity), I would start getting worried.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime Expo, Pacific Media Expo, TouhouCon
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #3021
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

I'm one of the locals that doesn't have to spend too much to attend thankfully, but I can understand the frustration of people who come from long distances and shell out big money to get out to LA and attend wanting to get the most bang for their buck. Problem is, not everyone will be 100% satisfied...yet, being the largest anime con in North America there's nothing wrong with us all expecting a couple (or a few) A-list guests to attend the con.

Because I'm local and don't have nearly the out of pocket expense that a lot of other attendees do that come from out of town and around the world, I'm one of those who doesn't care if the guest list is stacked with top talent and enjoy everything else the con has to offer...but that doesn't mean I still don't want to see some guests that will get me excited, after all while I don't have the biggest expenses in attending, it still isn't exactly a cheap con to attend from badge and hotel (though if Premier keeps going up, I'm not going to buy unless they somehow decide to quantify the outrageous increase with some perks that would be worth the money...that won't happen though)

As others have said, Sakura Con has worked hard to improve their contacts and as a result has been getting some top caliber guests the past few years and it is why I am planning to attend that con as soon as the budget will allow me to do so.

Heh, guess all we can do is wait and see...this is nothing new for AX to wait until two or three months before con to announce a bunch of guests in a short period)

FB: The Casual Otaku

Anime Expo 2016 cosplay plans (subject to change)

Day 0: Casual maid Maki Nishikino (Love Live)
Day 1: Mikuru Asahina/Yuki Nagato(?) (TMoHS - summer uniform)
Day 2: You Watanabe (Love Live Sunshine - school uniform)
Day 3: Ami Mizuno (Sailor Moon - winter uniform)
Day 4: Casual maid cosplay or Yui Hirasawa (K-ON - summer uniform)
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 12:44 AM   #3022
Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeiChama View Post
Going to AX is major suffering.

I was talking to one of my teachers who attends cons sometimes and when I told him how much ticket prices are he was shocked at how expensive they were.
Tell him to look at the Comic Con ticket prices.
Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #3023
Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. View Post
Tell him to look at the Comic Con ticket prices.
Thats apples and oranges, though. One never sells out while the other sells out in under 90 minutes with a general appeal guest list and is literally 3 times the size of the other.
Unread 03-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #3024
Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
Thats apples and oranges, though. One never sells out while the other sells out in under 90 minutes with a general appeal guest list and is literally 3 times the size of the other.
Yes but half the time you never end up getting into the panels you want because too many people go and you end up spending most of the con in a line.
Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #3025
Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. View Post
Yes but half the time you never end up getting into the panels you want because too many people go and you end up spending most of the con in a line.
That depends on your priorities. I attended at least 2 panels per day and still spent at least 4 hours in the Exhibit Hall each day and managed to turn in a pretty thorough report. One thing that SDCC has over AX is a tremendous amount of things to do outside of the convention center.
Unread 03-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #3026
Nay Tamaru
w00t w00t :)

Im not sure where to ask this or even locate info on it.. so I'm sorry in advance!

Does anyone know if AX will do Day 0 for early badge pickup again this year ? Also anybody know the times this will happen ?

Thanks !
-Levy McGarden (Fairy Tail) - (season 1) first orange dress
-Kululu (Sgt.Frog) - fem human-version of Kululu, group cosplay
Complete List of all other future cosplay on my Facebook page

-Anime Expo (LA) 2014
-Anime Matsuri (Houston)
Nay Tamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #3027
KittyKax
Little Miss Starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay Tamaru View Post
Im not sure where to ask this or even locate info on it.. so I'm sorry in advance!

Does anyone know if AX will do Day 0 for early badge pickup again this year ? Also anybody know the times this will happen ?

Thanks !
They do it every year so I don't see why they wouldn't.

I believe like last year the doors will open around 3-3:30pm and go til 9pm. People get there really early to line up but I like to check into my hotel first then get my badge. Just get in line by 5 and you'll be fine. If you have a 3DS bring it because you'll be streetpassing the whole line and it helps pass the time! XD (I think I was in line for 3 hours last year :P)
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #3028
Asa Gohan
Cussin at Sewing Machine

I waited in line at AX 2012... I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY NINTENDO DS IN MY LIFE.

Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie

Next Cosplay: Louise Belcher!
Asa Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 03:12 AM   #3029
EmiBubble
Professional Loli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa Gohan View Post
I waited in line at AX 2012... I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY NINTENDO DS IN MY LIFE.
Agreed Streetpassing 500 a day is considered normal. One guy told me about streetpassing 1,000 in 2013
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #3030
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

I remember the three hour line in 2013...

*dramatic flashbacks*