Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 03-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
shiruke-angela
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4
getting old figure back?!

hey everyone.

I'm really trying to get my old figure back. But I just can't seem to lose enough wait or gt enough muscles.

I used to be really thin with no tummy. But after my mother got cancer, i got depressed and started eating to feel better. (I know, bad idea).
I want to be healthy and comfortable in my cosplays again but I just can't seem to hold on.

I used to do 2 different sports, 4 times a week and rarely ate a thing.
but now I can't find time to sport due to my busy schedule and my body Always graves Sugar because of the eating when I was depressed.

Anyone got tips on how I can still hold on to diŽting? I'll be able to hold on for a few weeks, but start eating sugary stuff again then. espeacially at stressy moments. (and excuse me if I made some errors, my english isn't as good as I want.)
shiruke-angela is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 03-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
SoahCJay
Registered User
 
SoahCJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 27
Hey there,

I am in a similar situation as you. I used to be incredibly thin, and a few years ago I went through a very long streak of depression, which caused me to go from 120lbs to 220lbs in only a little over a year!

Sadly, I can't give you any advice on how to hold a diet, because I have never been able to! However, I was able to lose quite a significant amount of weight without dieting.

See, I truly believe diets are not what people need in order to lose weight. You count calories, deny yourself everything, and after a while your resolve breaks and the diet is "ruined". I don't believe in dieting.

I was able to lose a significant amount of weight while allowing myself to eat things that I loved (in moderation, of course). But I was only able to do that after years of searching for the "exercise" that I loved. I put exercise in quotations because I no longer find it exercise. It's something I do because I love it, and because it brings me joy; not because it helps me lose weight. And I think that's exactly WHY it helped.

When you stop thinking of it as "diet and exercise" and think of it as something you want to do for the sole reason of wanting to do it, that's when you get your results

Also, I found once I started biking, I HATED it, but I kept going and now I can't imagine not doing it. And as time goes on, you start not wanting those chips, or that piece of cake.

At least, that's how it was for me (and I am still doing it :3)

I'm sorry if this wasn't helpful at all, but it's the only advice I can give you! Find something you love to do, and do it for the fun, not just because it's exercise. That's when the pounds shed!
SoahCJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Antifreeze
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 167
MISTAKE NUMBA 1 NOT EATING!!!... I know it seems a bit... umm... counter or wrong, BUT you need energy to burn energy. So... before you start a diet, I would recommend getting back in the habit of eating enough to not feel hunger. Do not eat so much you feel full. Just enough to feel satisfied.

As for staying motivated, be surrounded by reminders of why you are getting in shape. It may look a little weird.. but you know if healthy... slash other s word involved with cosplay... great a fine goal in my mind. It is better than having no goal at all. Go online and find pictures of what you find to be healthy or appealing cosplayers. The net has NO shortage of those. Then find a way to make sure you see them regularly. Maybe it is your folder to philosophy on your phone or a picture you tape to your mirror. Whenever you get that craving look at the pictures. They will remind you that you have a much bigger goal in mind and you need to stay focused on it. Same thing with motivational sayings or things like that. Even writing down your goals and looking at them everyday can help. I just always recommend the pictures of people be real people... not their drawn form. Anyway that is one way to stay motivated.

Another way to stay motivated is to pick up a diet with a lot of rules. A list of rules you can write down and see. Stuff like: Lean Meats, Low fat, whole wheat, X number of calories, stuff like that. Know the big points of the diet and follow them everyday. Also, get rid of all the bad stuff in your residence. Throw it out, eat it, give it away. Get rid of it, and make sure you cannot get to new stuff easily. If it is present it will be a constant temptation and you will be that much closer to failing.

:/ I hear "I am too busy" a lot... WAY WAY WAY more than I would like too. Truth is that you just have to find time. I always like to look back to Fullmetal Alchemist. "In order to gain something something of equal value must be exchanged". <-- Yes, this is 100% true with fitness. To change your body, you might have to give up something you really like. I am sorry to say but yeah I gave up playing video games on the scale I used to. Same with anime, I sacrificed that for time to workout. It was hard and sad, but the gains were well worth it. :P plus I could just marathon through them on holidays. I promise you that there is something in your life that you can sacrifice 90 or so minutes so you can go to the gym... >_> I am realistic most people have to travel to the gym I include that in my time sacrificed. I know you can find something. :P I can find something for you if you want.

Anyway... I think you get the picture. Keep yourself motivated, it is incredible at how looking at a picture of a healthy cosplayer, or in my case a professional crossfit athlete can curb your cravings.
Antifreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
nikkiolie
Registered User
 
nikkiolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 945
Currently my biggest motivator is spite. I got pissed off because there is some guy that is trivializing all the hard work myself and friends are doing just because he is blessed with a good metabolism. He has muscle, but didn't work for it, he is just skinny enough to have it show. I work hard. He is super proud of his body, so my goal is to eat clean and cut properly to get my body fat down low enough that I can show the same amount of muscle he has. It may be a little embarrassing to him to show off his body then have a woman come out of no where that looks the same and can lift more weights than him.

Its stupid and petty but it has been the best motivation I have had. I have actually eaten properly for the first time ever. Diet has always been my biggest issue. I have gained weight too, but I have lost inches on my waist and hips. My back looks like a mans from behind, my chest is getting wider and I am in love with my arms and shoulders. I wouldn't have it any other way :3
__________________
My Facebook Page

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
My_Insanity
Barian Lord
 
My_Insanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 332
The mistake you're making is cutting out the sugary things all together, just work them into your daily calories occasionally. What you want to do is calculate your TDEE (this calculator is great but one that simply tells you how many calories you burn a day will do). Now reduce that calorie value by 400-500cal, this is what you should eat a day. Yes it means counting calories which is a hassle but it works and unlike fad diets or not eating at all, you're not going to pile weight back on when you stop. When you do reach your goal weight, simply stop eating at a calorie deficit and eat the calories you need to maintain your new weight.
Also try to fit in some cardio, even though your schedule is busy, maybe buying a skipping rope and doing a few minutes while you wait for a meal to cook., exercise helps greatly with depression (I'm depressed myself, started lifting weights 3 months back and have been noticing a great improvement in my mental health).
My_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
Antifreeze
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiolie View Post
Currently my biggest motivator is spite. I got pissed off because there is some guy that is trivializing all the hard work myself and friends are doing just because he is blessed with a good metabolism. He has muscle, but didn't work for it, he is just skinny enough to have it show. I work hard. He is super proud of his body, so my goal is to eat clean and cut properly to get my body fat down low enough that I can show the same amount of muscle he has. It may be a little embarrassing to him to show off his body then have a woman come out of no where that looks the same and can lift more weights than him.

Its stupid and petty but it has been the best motivation I have had. I have actually eaten properly for the first time ever. Diet has always been my biggest issue. I have gained weight too, but I have lost inches on my waist and hips. My back looks like a mans from behind, my chest is getting wider and I am in love with my arms and shoulders. I wouldn't have it any other way :3
>_< I hate people like him as well. My uncle is worse, he got his results without working out and he trivializes everything I talk about because he has his gimmick which worked for him.
Antifreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
nikkiolie
Registered User
 
nikkiolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 945
Yeah one of my friends lost 60 lbs can dead lift 300 lbs easily and squat over 300 lbs no problem but he is still pretty big. He doesn't really want the muscular look either, he rather be a power lifter and it just pissed me off that this tiny guy is bragging about his body. This guy is like 5'8" or so and weighs I think he said 130 lbs and I am over here with my 5'4" and 145 lbs. The guy has no room to brag.

Sorry to go off subject. Main thing that helped me was to find something I really enjoyed doing. Also a workout really doesn't need to take too long, 30 minutes is better than nothing. I found myself saying I didn't have time, its just a weird excuse that we make up in order to not do it.
__________________
My Facebook Page

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #8
Antifreeze
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiolie View Post
Yeah one of my friends lost 60 lbs can dead lift 300 lbs easily and squat over 300 lbs no problem but he is still pretty big. He doesn't really want the muscular look either, he rather be a power lifter and it just pissed me off that this tiny guy is bragging about his body. This guy is like 5'8" or so and weighs I think he said 130 lbs and I am over here with my 5'4" and 145 lbs. The guy has no room to brag.

Sorry to go off subject. Main thing that helped me was to find something I really enjoyed doing. Also a workout really doesn't need to take too long, 30 minutes is better than nothing. I found myself saying I didn't have time, its just a weird excuse that we make up in order to not do it.
I want a muscular look myself, my father REALLY screwed me up as a kid, but truth is that I would rather be strong than skinny. :P as they say, strong people are more useful. My poor uncle knows that he cannot compete with me. He tries, but at the end of the day his thing is that he is skinnier than me and that is all he can say.

Vengeance is always a good reason to do something.. just make sure that you set other goals once you get the hang of things.
Antifreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
GuiltiRamzi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiruke-angela View Post
hey everyone.

I'm really trying to get my old figure back. But I just can't seem to lose enough wait or gt enough muscles.

I used to be really thin with no tummy. But after my mother got cancer, i got depressed and started eating to feel better. (I know, bad idea).
I want to be healthy and comfortable in my cosplays again but I just can't seem to hold on.

I used to do 2 different sports, 4 times a week and rarely ate a thing.
but now I can't find time to sport due to my busy schedule and my body Always graves Sugar because of the eating when I was depressed.

Anyone got tips on how I can still hold on to diŽting? I'll be able to hold on for a few weeks, but start eating sugary stuff again then. espeacially at stressy moments. (and excuse me if I made some errors, my english isn't as good as I want.)
Both proper dieting and exercises are necessary if you want to lose or gain weight the right way (and at a fast rate). Stopping any of these or "cheating"/taking a break can easily ruin all your hard work in the past. You MUST be 100% consistent. Especially with your diet, so it's good that you're trying to find ways to keep your diet consistent (because it is necessary).

::::::Working out::::::

I'd recommend intense cardio (interval sprinting, swimming, biking), and not so much jogging or slow motion cardio. Weight training is important too. It's always good to get a gym buddy who can spot you and/or someone more experienced who can teach you correct forms and techniques. All of this will boost your metabolism, which will cause you to burn more calories at a higher rate (and with the right diet changes, you will need to eventually take in more health calories in order to continue your progress)

-Don't spend too much time at the gym. It's better to have one to two hours of an intense work out versus 3 to 4 hours of long over drawn workouts because of talking/being on your phone too much, etc. Don't do the same motion work out with multiple machines or free weights. Your body will burn calories and at a faster rate right after your work out and last through out the next day(s).

-Dedicate each gym session to specific body parts. Example with my current set up:

Monday:Chest

Tuesday:Shoulders/Tricepts,

Wednsday: back,

Thursday: Legs/Abdominals,

Friday: Swimming

Weekend: Rest days

Not saying my set up is the best, it's just works out for me. So your set up should be something that works for you, with both rest days and days that focus on fewer body parts that are more intense within a short period of time.

-Higher repetitions and be consistent about it. Example: 3 sets of 15-20, or 4 sets of 10

-Drink plenty of water (on average most adults should be going through 17 to +40 ounces of water within roughly 1 to 2 hours of an intense workout). This is pretty dependent on your metabolism and body weight now that I think about it...

-Get plenty of rest (right amount of sleep)

-Develope proper, controlled breathing while doing any kind of exercise. When you apply force to push or pull you exhale. When you bring your weight back down or release pressure, inhale.

-Make sure your form is PERFECT with every machine and free wight exercise you do. You're wasting your time if you don't have perfect form (your muscles wont develop properly with bad form and you can easily injure yourself. Do research or find someone you know has good form.

-Stretch before your work out(s) to avoid possible injuries. Injuries are common and easily happen cause of lack of stretching, poor form, and bad technique. These injuries can easily set you back from your progress and goal(s) for a month if not more :c


:::::iet::::::

A lot of the above posts are great advice, but to add on. . .Your diet needs to either be strict-no cheating, or you might as well not bother trying to lose weight. A month's worth of good dieting can be easily ruined if you cheat here and there (regardless if you're trying to lose weight or like me when I was trying to gain weight).

Good dieting is both more expensive and time consuming, but well worth it.

-I would recommend preparing all your meals in advance (example: Prepare your breakfast, lunch, snacks, and possibly dinner in advance, especially if you're not a morning person and dont like to make yourself wake up early).

-Have more meals that are proportionally smaller than what you would normally eat. Example: Eat every two hours, but in small portions.

-Know what raw food you're going to buy or prepare (95% ground beef, nuts, berries, chicken, avocados, broccoli, olive oil, etc)

-Drink plenty of water

-Don't starve yourself

-Change up your diet, but keep it healthy. Your metabolism, at least for me it did, is going to eventually adjust to how you're eating, you need to confuse your body and try different things (this applied to working out)

-Make your food appealing and fun to eat. You must enjoy what you're doing. If you're serious about what you're doing then you should go out and be passionate/smart about it

-Calories: Low calorie diets are fine if you're not exercising, but if you want a muscular physic and doing weight training/running (no one likes a sack of bones), you will eventually have to take in more calories (good calories of course). As your body increases its metabolism as a result of good dieting AND physical training, your body will have a higher demand for calories as a form of energy so you can continue to grow (fat reduction and muscle mass increase). This doesn't mean you should find a burger with 2,000 calories, it means you need a health meal that you've been eating as part of your diet containing 2,000 calories, so your source of more calories needs to be from healthy meals. There are various sources of high calorie foods which also have 'Super Fats' (takes away bad fat and gives you good fat). Yes there is such a thing as "good fat".

-Finally. . .constantly think about what you're aiming for, especially if you're tempted to eat something you know you shouldn't be eating and would ruin your diet. If you don't have the resolve to sustain a constant healthy diet, then you should question yourself about why you're doing this and if you really want it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antifreeze View Post
I want a muscular look myself, my father REALLY screwed me up as a kid, but truth is that I would rather be strong than skinny. :P as they say, strong people are more useful. My poor uncle knows that he cannot compete with me. He tries, but at the end of the day his thing is that he is skinnier than me and that is all he can say.

Vengeance is always a good reason to do something.. just make sure that you set other goals once you get the hang of things.
I felt the same way a few years ago when I started going to the gym, being under weight really sucked :l, being weak sucked even more. Weight=power.

However being skinny or skinnier doesn't necessarily mean you're weaker (not talking about underweight). One of my current gym buddies weighs about 35 pounds more than me (and he's not over weight), and his 3 sets of 10 for squats, benching, and deadlifts are +90 pounds less than what I do. His level of body fat is higher than mine (he doesn't look fat though), but his potential is greater than mine if I leave my body weight as is and he continues to work out and eat the way he has been.

Also the whole thing with vengeance, I personally believe it's definitely not a good reason for anything unless, like you said, you have other set goals to keep you going after. . .whatever your vengeance is about .___.
__________________
Currently working on my first cosplay, Garlock Space Commander Simon from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Attending Anime Expo 2014.
GuiltiRamzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
Kagetoki
Registered User
 
Kagetoki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiruke-angela View Post
hey everyone.

I'm really trying to get my old figure back. But I just can't seem to lose enough wait or gt enough muscles.

I used to be really thin with no tummy. But after my mother got cancer, i got depressed and started eating to feel better. (I know, bad idea).
I want to be healthy and comfortable in my cosplays again but I just can't seem to hold on.

I used to do 2 different sports, 4 times a week and rarely ate a thing.
but now I can't find time to sport due to my busy schedule and my body Always graves Sugar because of the eating when I was depressed.

Anyone got tips on how I can still hold on to diŽting? I'll be able to hold on for a few weeks, but start eating sugary stuff again then. espeacially at stressy moments. (and excuse me if I made some errors, my english isn't as good as I want.)
Well! Sounds like you're pretty addicted to sugar, I am too :P The only thing I can suggest is replace that addiction with another addiction (healthy one!) When you say sugary things, I'm assuming cookies, brownies, cupcakes, etc. Sort of how our brains work out, if you talk to a group of people at an AA meeting majority would say they replaced alcohol with something else.

Pretty sure this was mentioned beforehand, but eating irregularly is terrible for your body! It puts it in starvation mode, then boom have a big meal and it doesn't know what to do with all that food. In order for your stomach not to go in starvation mode (hindering your weight loss) you should eat regularly (in small portions!) about every 2 hours or so.

I don't know how much you desire to lose, but if you regularly drink soda and cut that out, you should see about 10-15 pounds in weight loss (over the course of 2 months or so [depends on how much soda you drink.])

Hope this helps, feel free to message me if you have any questions

Last edited by Kagetoki : 04-23-2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: grammar
Kagetoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #11
ShiroKanade
Yay Life Fibers
 
ShiroKanade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 143
Completely agree on cutting out soda. I lost 15lbs over 3 months just from removing soda from my intake.
__________________
Future Cons!

Anime California - August 2014

Katsucon - 2015
ShiroKanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.