Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #16
Ranma344
The Big Guy

Thanks for all of the responses here. Yea, I figured that was the best approach, it's just really hard for me to talk to people. I'm constantly worrying if I'm going to offend someone, or possible come off as a stalker or something crazy like that, even if I'm simply asking for a photo. I'll do my best though. Thanks again everyone.

There are only 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Ranma344 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #17
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

I kind think this is common sense. "mind if I grab a picture?" Or if they're in a big photo op moment get in on it

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 03:58 PM   #18
Glitterpeach01

The only way you would come off as a creep, or stalker, is if you're doing something that makes a cosplayer feel uncomfortable (Following them around silently, looking at chest/ butt very obviously, etc.)
But it sounds to me like you are a polite person, so just go right up and ask for a picture! If you feel awkward or shy, start by saying "I really love the wings, details, etc. on your costume..". If someone denies you a picture, or does something rude, then ignore them! They're probably not as friendly as you
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:29 PM   #19
belligerent
Viking Metal

Just be confident (or fake confidence) and you won't come off as creepy. Usually people who read as "creepy" are acting strangely or like they're about to do something they shouldn't be doing, and people pick up on that. If you don't give them reason to believe you're doing anything wrong, then you should be fine.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #20
infin8um

I agree with everyone above. Be polite, hold up a camera in case it is too noisy for them to hear you. Say something you like about their cosplay (you obviously want a photo for a reason). Try to avoid touching. Some people don't like being poked or nudged by strangers (I had someone grab my bicep and tug to get my attention... not cool). Also making eye contact will reduce the creepy factor.
infin8um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #21
CreativeGuy

Ask?
Unread 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #22
ItsTroy

I'm a hobby cosplay photographer, so I got the asking thing down. However, I'd like to take this question a big further.

Many times I catch a good cosplay in terrible lighting conditions. I ask for a picture, take a few snapshots, and let them go on their way. However, as they move along and disappear into the crowd, I notice that the shoots I took of them were under/over exposed and came out pretty bad. Is it weird to bump into you the same cosplayer during the convention and ask for more pictures?

WIP: DeathGun, Rensouhou-chan, Ghelzonianses, Acksonl ( ̄ω ̄)
Cons: Khaotic Con, Metrocon, AFO, Shadocon, Holiday Matsuri
ItsTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #23
irishattherock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTroy View Post
I'm a hobby cosplay photographer, so I got the asking thing down. However, I'd like to take this question a big further.

Many times I catch a good cosplay in terrible lighting conditions. I ask for a picture, take a few snapshots, and let them go on their way. However, as they move along and disappear into the crowd, I notice that the shoots I took of them were under/over exposed and came out pretty bad. Is it weird to bump into you the same cosplayer during the convention and ask for more pictures?
Honestly, a cosplayer probably won't notice the same person twice, particularly if they have an intricate costume that's getting a lot of attention. And if they notice, just be honest. The lighting wasn't good, you want a better photo. I'd say that's flattering, you like their photo enough to go out of your way to document it in ideal conditions.

Working on:
Nui Harime (Kill la Kill) - 70%

Upcoming cons: San Diego Comic Con, New York Comic Con

Facebook
irishattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 01:05 AM   #24
jcxkyo
Noodeest.. BEEECH

Hahah oh mannn, I know that feeling! Before I used to wonder if I seemed too creepy, but now I just go straight up and ask. Smiling and being polite with a thank you at the end goes a pretty nice way. After starting cosplay myself, I can say it makes me happy when someone asks for a photo and I bet lots of other cosplayers feel the same! =w=
AX2014 - Chrom (Fire Emblem) WIP - Kirito - Male!Kiryuin Satsuki (KLK) WIP - Shiba Tatsuya (Mahouka) (maybe)
AF2014 - Kaname (Vampire Knight) - Some from above too (not sure yet)
jcxkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #25
MirniMausi
Just live more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTroy View Post
Is it weird to bump into you the same cosplayer during the convention and ask for more pictures?
No, not at all. You could go up to them and tell them directly that the last few shots didn't turn out that well and ask if they'd pose a second time for you to take pictures. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. Every cosplayer likes to have good photos of them, so I guess your initiative to get better ones will be appreciated ^^

~Up Next~
Yoko Minato/ Kamen Rider Marika (Kamen Rider Gaim)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #26
Syon

Lets make it simple: The fact that you ask prevents you effectivly from comeing off as a creep, because creeps don't ask, they just do and thats what makes dem creepy.
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #27
ChibiDannimon

My rules for asking cosplayers for photos..

1. Ask Politely
2. If you wish you can ask the cosplayer to pose for you as long as it doesnt get in people's way
3. Take APPROPRIATE pictures. No panty shots, no boob shots, no crotch shots. Full Body, Half-Body, Bust and Portrait pictures. Heck you can even do low angle or high angle if you wish, get a shot that showcases the cosplay and the cosplayer's personality.
4. Thank Cosplayer and show them the picture you took
5. Give out business cards if you have them.

2014 Cosplays

Black Widow - The Avengers (Comic Book Version)
Sailor Galaxia - Sailor Stars
Rosa/Mei - Pokemon Black and White 2
Finn - Adventure Time
Ben Tennyson - Ben 10 Omniverse
Takato - Digimon 03
Rei Ryugazaki - Free!
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote