Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime LA

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-16-2014, 03:40 AM   #16
Hazel Chaz

More responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGal View Post
... on the second day someone broke glass in the pool me not knowing this went in with my sister and my boyfriend and he stepped on glass it was kinda bad then security came and told us afterwards that the pool was closed... keep in mind we started at the shallow end and walked from there to the middle and they watched us go in! thats mainly my only complaint he couldnt enjoy the last day and had to stay in the room since his foot hurt him so bad...
I'm sorry he stepped on the broken glass. I hope his foot's okay now? If not, get it looked at by a doctor. That stuff can be bad news. If we knew who brought glass onto the pool deck, we'd have given them an invitation to the world right then and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
I was on the 4th floor and the noise at night was loudest from the pool area (I had a balcony). I later realized that the noise wasn't from the pool, but rather from parties occurring on the balconies. Perhaps in the future we can designate quiet floors and place the quieter rooms on those floors on the outer wall of the hotel (not facing the pool deck).
I'm not happy about the parties spilling out onto the balconies with amplified music; I could hear it clear up on the 17th floor.

Your point about "outside" rooms being automatically quieter is well taken. I will pass that on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
Also, the green room for the masquerade could have been a little larger, but I have already discussed this with masquerade staff. Perhaps for next time some things can be moved elsewhere for more space, such as the food for contestants being served in a separate room?
The green room was cramped because there were a hundred people waiting to cross the stage. There aren't a whole lot of rooms we could expand into, unfortunately; there's only so much space available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadaraNoOkami View Post
Some cons

* Hotel door to pool didn't open. I know this isn't specific to ALA, but this is an issue for me with the hotel. $116 a night is a great discount, but still not exactly cheap. For a room that usually costs $260 a night, I kind of expect to be able to use the door.
What action did you take? Most of the poolside doors worked just fine. Hotel Engineering and Maintenance was working hard and on duty all weekend, so the front desk should have been able to have someone look at it.

And which room number was it? I'll follow up when we're there in a few weeks.

Quote:
* This was the first time I participated in the masquerade, and while I had fun, it took up so much time that I feel like I missed Saturday entirely. I know some people don't mind, but for me, I would rather see it be a slightly smaller event and take up less of the contestants' time. I can say that I won't be entering again, I feel like I missed too much.
I can tell you that Masquerade is the biggest thing happening Saturday... Friday has a lot more things going on than Saturday does. I'm sorry you were disappointed. We do try to warn people at the Masquerade meeting Saturday morning that it's a big chunk of your Saturday, and having 40 entries means just crossing the stage is going to take time, without taking into account the time it will take to judge each entry individually on its own merits.

Perhaps we should have a special cheat sheet on "Is this your first Masquerade? Here are things you should know."

Quote:
I even feel like I missed the live feed of the masquerade itself because the green room was so incredibly loud.
A hundred people waiting, it's a good idea to get a seat closer to the speakers if you want to hear it. We're looking at ways to improve the live feed; what I'd really like is something that'll feed directly into your phone or tablet or something, and then you can use headphones.

Quote:
A few suggestions

* You might consider asking the hotel to also supply the masquerade with coffee.
* The green room during the masquerade needs to either have wider isles, or more strict enforcement about not standing/sitting in the isles. It was so hard to move around in there.
Coffee. Now there's an idea. It is $300 a gallon when we get it from the hotel, though, so I have to consider it carefully. (I am not kidding.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediofTime View Post
... My main suggestion would be to have a real cosplay changing room and then it would be perfect. This convention really takes care of its cosplayer attendees very well because I saw the cosplay gatherings listed in the program guide.
The problem with adding a room for that, as with adding anything, is what do we cut to make room for it? The restrooms have some space, and beyond that it's probably most convenient to go up to a hotel room. If you're commuting, see if you can network with someone who's staying over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasil Pie View Post
Overall it was an enjoyable con for me, the only complaint I had was that it badge security was just a little TOO tight. I understand you don't want people ghosting the convention, but to go to places that should be public areas... it shouldn't be that difficult. I had a badge, and I decided to leave it in the hotel to move some stuff from my car (I honestly didn't think I'd need it to exit), and I was denied entry to the escalator for access to the parking lot. After that I just kept the badge on me, but with finding ribbons and stuff trailing down your badge, it might be just more convenient to leave it to pick up stuff, you know?
Why were you taking the escalator down to the parking lot? Wouldn't you just stroll out the front lobby door and down the stairs on the side?

In any event, the downstairs foyer area is most definitely "our" space, it's not a public area. There are actually no public areas at all, if you think about it, as the Marriott is private property. The hotel can choose to let us "badge" sections of it, which we do because there just so many, many people trying to crash the convention. And the places that you might consider "public" are actually the hotel's big open areas where people tend to gather -- they're the most crowded places and where we're most concerned about scammers.

I am sorry you had a bad experience when you just wanted to get to your car.
April: Cosplay Sewing Circle (2014-04-15); Anime Conji (starts 2014-04-18)
May: Baycon (starts 2014-05-23)
Hazel Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2014, 04:17 AM   #17
OniCourseMusha
Brain Age Guy

Review towards AnimeLA's Starlight Ball 2014

Dance Lesson: It was great you finally did a dance lesson that I didn't mind if my dance lesson workshop was denied. But there is one problem. The dance etiquette and dress code dragged on too much at the beginning that it reduced the time of learning other dance styles. When you teach a dance lesson. Please get straight to the point instead of explaining the dress code and dance etiquette. People show up to learn how to dance not be educated about how dress code work. If you want to teach more dance styles. Just keep it simple to basic step and basic technique and move on. You would of taught more then just 2 styles. That is exactly how I did mine at last year's ALA and that is exactly the results we wanted. I taught Waltz, East Coast Swing, Salsa/Chacha, Merenge and freestyle in short period of time.

Setting: Setting is pretty good and it's nice you have a picture booth at the one corner. I have to say adding projector with the name of the song and what style you have to dance to was great addition to the event.

Music: I'm sadly have to say I did not like the songlist. The songlist wasn't spread out as much as I wanted to be. Playing Rumba song? We haven't even learned that at all at the dance lesson. I personally would suggest focus on very few type of dance/song at the ball: Waltz, Swing, Salsa/Chacha, Foxtrot, and Merenge. When I heard a song that is ment for rumba. No one got up and dance at all. The songlist from last year was waaay much better. I should of provide some song suggestions this year but I will provide them for next year.

Dress Code: It's the most laid back dress code that I wish a lot of con can do. And let the non-formal people let in at the last couple hours. I'm totally up with that!

Overall: Last year's Starlight Ball was an amazing experience for a brand new event for ALA. This year made me ask "What happened?". I talked so much about your event but didn't live to the hype this year. I didn't see much great cosplayers (I know it's hard to ask more great cosplayer to show up), music list was lacking and too confusing, and plus you didn't teach much at the dance lesson (except for the dress code and dance etiquette) that it made me wish that I was running the dance lesson. Don't take these as attack from me but take it as constructive criticism hopefully you can fix all these problem for next year.
Fanime E-gaming Staff
Fanime B&W Ball Dance Assistance and Staff 2008-2011
SakuraCon Masquerade Ball's dance host
Facebook
Deviantart ACE Cosplayer
OniCourseMusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #18
Reeve

One more suggestion, I would love to see some pre-convention online gathering site. The forums seemed a little inefficient when it came to looking for help with a masquerade skit. The cosplay gathering sites on facebook and the threads in these forums worked great to my knowledge. I took a large risk in investing a lot on a masquerade skit without having any stage ninjas or supporting cosplay actors, but it all worked great in the end and we even won a couple awards! I just would like to minimize that risk for next time if I don't know anyone at the convention.
Reeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #19
Bofa
Drifting to Black + White

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniCourseMusha View Post
Overall: Last year's Starlight Ball was an amazing experience for a brand new event for ALA. This year made me ask "What happened?".
This was the third year for this event ;3

For the most part I agree completely (though I didn't go to the dance lesson so I'm not sure how that was).

Music: I agree that the choice of music was lacking. Last year they had a facebook page and took requests on songs, so long as you provide a link to it. The song list this year seemed very Cowboy Bebop heavy, which don't get me wrong I love everything about the anime and the soundtrack, but it is music I would rather sit back and listen to rather then dance to.

Lighting: For the last two years the lights were turned down more. This year they were on full brightness and made the dance...off? We had asked if they could dim them and they said this was the lighting they had to have until the pajama party? It was very confusing and I think took away from the overall dance. I'm not sure if rooms share lighting on the bottom floor or such, but maybe better scheduling could have fixed it?

Finally, Attire: I think the formal attire should be noted in the guide book. While in line many con goers lined up not knowing just how formal the dance was. Also possibly note in the book the time the formal attire is not needed? Also I'm not sure if this was ever a thing, but I thought it was cosplay or formal attire? I didn't like the fact that to get in someone would have to alter their cosplay at the door, in example throw on a vest. I agree that someone in a speedo who is "cosplaying" should put on pants and a shirt but I don't think if you are wearing a nice put together cosplay that you should have to go change into a button up dress shirt even though the character wears a short sleeve t-shirt under their vest and not a button up.

Anyway I still enjoyed myself, but would like to see some changes for the better C:

"World was on fire, no one could save me but you;
Strange what desire will make foolish people do-"

-Anime LA '14-
-Anime Expo '14-
-San Diego Comicon-

Anime Expo 2008 Masquerade Ball Queen
-Facebook Page-
Bofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 12:06 AM   #20
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

This was my sixth ALA and I have to say that this con just keeps getting better and better. Programming was good and there seemed to always be something to do which is usually not the case for a small con. I really don't have any complaints to add, I had a blast and will be back for my 7th one next year.

Side note: I started off only attending one day at this con and it has gotten so much better over the last few years that I will definitely be staying onsite next year
Anime Expo
PMX(?)

Potential Future Crossplays
Maki Nishikino (Love Live) - Summer school uniform
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #21
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
Side note: I started off only attending one day at this con and it has gotten so much better over the last few years that I will definitely be staying onsite next year
I agree, when I started attending Anime Los Angeles, it was a one day affair. The con has gotten so much better that I am there for 2 days, and for those 2 days, I am there for well over 16 hours each day. I would be there all three, but Friday is work.

My ALA experience was a wonderful experience, but I do commute to the con compared to staying at the hotel. Maybe in the future I will be in a more local area because it is quite stressful to drive 120 miles round trip every day I attend the convention.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime Los Angeles, Otakon Vegas
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #22
CelCosplay
CelestineLocsin

I suggest you to bring food to the con suite if you let people do it?
twitter.com/cellocsin
CelCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #23
NekoMimi16
Hyper Otaku

Last year I told myself I wasn't going back to Anime L.A. but again I received a badge as a Christmas gift. I have to say I'm insanely happy I went back. ^^ So here's my pros and cons...

Pros:

1. The cap on badges really helped! No more pushing and shoving! Being a really small and short person this was my biggest complaint in previous years. I was very pleased with this whole arrangement. Thumbs up!

2. Con security. There was an incident on our floor on Saturday night but con staff seemed to handle the situation with ease and remained professional. I'm not sure what the fuss was about but someone was screaming bloody murder. My husband and I were rather alarmed. xD

3. Tons of places to sit and take pictures. ^^ Being a cosplayer that's a big bonus.

4. Hotel staff. Checking in was smooth and the woman who helped us was friendly and understanding. She gave us a discount on parking even though we weren't booked in a con suite.

5. Prop policy. I've been to several cons with extremely tight policies on costumes and props. X.X It's nice to be able to carry a clearly fake chainsaw around without being yelled at. xD

Cons:

1. Noise. This one I don't pin on the con. When you have a room next to the elevators it's unavoidable. Nothing that prevented me from sleeping.

2. Badge checks. I don't know when badge checks are supposed to begin in designated areas but on the pool deck it didn't start until Saturday. I'm sick of seeing people pay good money for a badge so they can enjoy the con and find out later that there were tons of people slipping through the cracks. This happened at a local convention and I'm still angry at the situation. Again I don't know if there are checks on Friday but I wasn't asked for mine until Saturday afternoon.

3. This one isn't the cons responsibility either but I want to voice it. A lot of underage kids getting sexually harassed and lying about their ages. I felt really uncomfortable especially since I've attended panels on "con going" and one of the golden rules is to not hide your actual age. Underage people don't get in trouble but the oblivious adults do.

That's it from my point of view. I plan to attend next year. ^^ Hope everyone had a good time! <3
NekoMimi16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 12:11 AM   #24
Hazel Chaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoMimi16 View Post
5. Prop policy. I've been to several cons with extremely tight policies on costumes and props. X.X It's nice to be able to carry a clearly fake chainsaw around without being yelled at. xD
We try to be reasonable, we also try not to make up new rules just to have more rules. Glad it's working out for you.

Quote:
2. Badge checks. I don't know when badge checks are supposed to begin in designated areas but on the pool deck it didn't start until Saturday. I'm sick of seeing people pay good money for a badge so they can enjoy the con and find out later that there were tons of people slipping through the cracks. This happened at a local convention and I'm still angry at the situation. Again I don't know if there are checks on Friday but I wasn't asked for mine until Saturday afternoon.
We checked badges as much as we could, but there are just so many people and so few people doing the checking. Our goal is to double the Operations team to cover that better. It still feels like a game of Whack-a-Mole, though!

Quote:
3. This one isn't the cons responsibility either but I want to voice it. A lot of underage kids getting sexually harassed and lying about their ages. I felt really uncomfortable especially since I've attended panels on "con going" and one of the golden rules is to not hide your actual age. Underage people don't get in trouble but the oblivious adults do.
We're looking into minor/adult badges next year, to help with identifying underage people and to make it that much easier to drop the hammer on the pervs and creeps. Please let your young friends know, that we have an anti-harassment policy and we will take complaints seriously. We tossed out about half a dozen perps during the weekend, but I have no idea how many situations went unreported. (Equally important, don't make a false claim, that'll get you bounced instead.)

Quote:
That's it from my point of view. I plan to attend next year. ^^ Hope everyone had a good time! <3
Pre-register now, we've got a cap and we won't be selling at the door!

-Chaz
Unread 02-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #25
RoseStern

I actually know a bit about the glass on the pool deck thing. It was a group of people who were playing a sort of fandom version of a "spin-the-bottle" game. I don't know how the bottle broke or why it was not properly cleaned up, though.

I might suggest perhaps a "no glass on pool deck" policy (if there isn't one already), and maybe have this on the list of rules in the program guide, with a "plastic bottles only" sort of addition.

Also, in general maybe a sign or two on the pool deck of some posted rules: ie no one in makeup is allowed in the pool, no glass allowed, no running/shoving (this I did actually run into first hand, though I'm pretty sure they were minors).

I loved, loved, loved the big printouts of the schedule/map of the con being posted on the walls. Though if it would be possible to have them next to each other would make it even better.

This was my first time at ALA, and I had a good time. It was sort of strange, because I'm so much more used to the big cons, being at one the size of ALA was a bit of a shock. Not in a bad way, but like how people you met would expect that you would bump into them again easily, while like at AX, you exchange numbers or make concrete plans to be somewhere at a certain time, because otherwise you will never see them again.
RoseStern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #26
KerochanNoMiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseStern View Post
Also, in general maybe a sign or two on the pool deck of some posted rules: ie no one in makeup is allowed in the pool, no glass allowed, no running/shoving (this I did actually run into first hand, though I'm pretty sure they were minors).

I loved, loved, loved the big printouts of the schedule/map of the con being posted on the walls. Though if it would be possible to have them next to each other would make it even better.
Oh look signs feedback! My favorite!

There was a sign on the pool deck (near the pool) telling people to remove makeup before getting in the water - was it not visible enough? I know the idea was tossed around to put it in multiple locations, as was banning glass from the pool deck, so I'll be sure to bring those both up for discussion.

The problem with the giant schedule printout is that it's...well, GIANT. And with our layout and other signage needs there are limited places to put it. ^^; The one by registration had big maps directly across from it, and I really think that might be the closest we can manage, but I'll look again. (Also, if I may put in a plug for our mobile app, it includes copies of the map so you could look at them on your phone while looking at the schedule? )
KerochanNoMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 12:50 AM   #27
Hazel Chaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseStern View Post
I might suggest perhaps a "no glass on pool deck" policy (if there isn't one already), and maybe have this on the list of rules in the program guide, with a "plastic bottles only" sort of addition.
The hotel already has a "no glass on the pool deck" policy, as do most hotels.

Next year we're going to have a "no glass outside the hotel rooms/restaurants/bar areas" rule, actually. It'll be in the program book and on some signs as well.
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #28
AniBabe

Photo Studio Pictures

It has been 4 months and I still haven't gotten my photos from the photo studio!
I'm very disappointed about this but other than that the convention was wonderful.
.: @KawaiiKos :.
AniBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 12:16 AM   #29
Hazel Chaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniBabe View Post
It has been 4 months and I still haven't gotten my photos from the photo studio!
I'm very disappointed about this but other than that the convention was wonderful.
They've just been posted. Our apologies for the delay.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wonder...7643887171563/
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:59 PM   #30
Eveil
심바

Would prefer to change the designated smoking area to outside of the hotel, not to a small spot by the pool that gets ignored anyways.

Speaking of ignored, once again complaining about the use of people at gatherings having unnecessary use of megaphones in an already loud and echoing central pool area. This is a second and continuing complaint and recorded with hotel management.
Eveil is offline   Reply With Quote