Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Unread 08-18-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
Kahna

So, Anime is not my thing but. . .

So, Anime is not really my genre, but Convention wise things are pretty slim pickings here in Hawaii. We really only have one Con a year and it's an anime con. I would like to try my hand at the costume contest but in order to enter your costume has to be inspired by an anime source (video games are included). Nothing I have made or have plans to make is going to work. I have about 6 months to prep for this Convention but I know nothing about anime and I have no idea where to even start looking. I figured if I gave you guys some parameters you might be able to point my research in the right direction.

I'm female, and would prefer to stick with female characters, they tend to have nicer costumes, the guys get the short end of the stick it seems. 5'9" and relatively fit. I don't mind wigs, though contacts are out. My eyes are green.

Skimp factor. I don't mind showing a little skin, or wearing a skin tight outfit but I would prefer something that at least covers 50% of my torso. I'm not looking to go witchblade skimpy.

My skills: I have experience with worbla armor, pepakura, and intermediate levels of sewing. I would love to find something that will show off the fact that I can work in multiple mediums and will push my skills a bit. I'm looking to go for craftsmanship factor so intricate and ornate won't put me off.

Portability: I'll be making this in one location and transporting it by plane to Hawaii on my month long break from work (which happens to overlap with the convention) so it can't be too large or unwieldy.

Any ideas?
Kahna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Synaster

San from Princess Mononoke? It's a movie, not a series, so you wouldn't have to watch as much (I recommend it!).

Synaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
Mankey

Just judging from your height I would think of Lisa Lisa from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Her outfits may not be the most intricate, but they are pretty good. Also she has a few different outfits so there's some freedom there too.

Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 01:38 AM   #4
Vanilla11F

Attack on Titan!

I love Levi!
Unread 08-19-2014, 02:44 AM   #5
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

Honestly, I think your first step should be finding something you enjoy. You shouldn't create a cosplay costume just to try to win an award for it, you should make it because you enjoy it and enjoy wearing it. Trying to win awards is fine and all but that's only a very tiny part of the hobby... Having fun with it should be the primary reason and it doesn't seem like doing this just to try to win something would make it very fun.

I think that your first step should be sitting down and watching a couple anime series (preferably more than that) and see if any of them interest you and see if you like any of the characters and would be interested in creating a costume of one of the characters. Then go from there.

And besides, most of the costume contests I've seen also expect (or at least encourage) the costumer to act moderately like the character when on stage to bring the costume to life. If you've never seen the series the costume you're doing is from it will be difficult to get into character if you need to do so.

That said, if you have little to no interest in anime, it doesn't seem like you would have any fun doing an anime cosplay. Perhaps try something from one of your favorite movies instead? Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Ghostbusters, Tron, and so on... There are tons of options.
Unread 08-19-2014, 06:15 AM   #6
Synaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Leader View Post
That said, if you have little to no interest in anime, it doesn't seem like you would have any fun doing an anime cosplay. Perhaps try something from one of your favorite movies instead? Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Ghostbusters, Tron, and so on... There are tons of options.
OP said it's supposed to be anime-inspired
Unread 08-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Kahna

I'm not doing this, "Just to win" I'm doing it to increase my involvement in the art. I went to this convention last year in costume (Star Wars, Padme's EpII Purple Senate Gown) and had a blast. I would love the opportunity to enter the competition. The chance to get feedback on my work, to expand my skills, mingle with other costuming folks and experience the competition scene. For me, competing helps to establish a goal and pushes me to improve, at least it did in horseback riding, I'm sure it will in costuming as well.

I am passionate about the creative process involved, about the research and problem solving that goes into it. I'm passionate about turning out an accurate detailed costume. I'm having an absolute blast creating Saint Celestine from the Warhammer 40k Sisters of Battle, and I don't even play the game (my husband does.) Everyone costumes for their own reasons, for some it is to portray a character they love, for me it is the process of creation, the challenge to push myself farther. Neither one is wrong, just different.

I do enjoy video games, so perhaps an anime-video game character would be my best option. But I didn't want to miss out on the lovely outfits out there in the Anime community without at least asking. Thank you to those who responded, You have given me some ideas.
Kahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
Shirayuki~Chan

I think Kill La Kill would be right up your alley! Lots of female characters with cool costumes.

Also try:
Fire Emblem (Maybe Panne or Tharja)
Sailor Moon
Would RWBY count? (Not anime, but anime inspired, lots of cool females with awesome weapons)
Diebuster!
Gatchaman Crowds
Look into League of Legends (video game)
Final Fantasy

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #9
AbsoluteApril
no ordinary rabbit

Agreed about finding something you enjoy!

How about a JRPG since you mentioned video games? Some are very 'anime-ish'.
There's always Final Fantasy but also these, you might see something you like? good luck!

Nino Kuni Wrath of the White Witch

Lost Odyssey

Tales of Xillia 2

Record of Agarest War
Unread 08-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
Synaster

Dragon Quest is another anime-inspired game
Unread 08-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
Tiara

Fuu hououji-Magic Knight Rayearth
Rikku-FFX&X-2(several of the dresspheres will probably be up your alley)

I think the best idea though is for you to look at games like Final Fantasy XI and XIV(mmos) where the characters are custom and you have a lot of armor sets to choose from.
Tiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
Sairas
Cosplay fanatic

I'm seconding Tiara : Rikku (FF X & X-2). While some outfits *cough* thief *cough* are pretty skimpy, she does have her share of cute ones.

(Picture's not mine but gives you a nice overview)http://s44.photobucket.com/user/Sasu...heres.jpg.html

Attack on Titan is also nice. Maybe Mikasa Ackermann ?
Sairas is offline   Reply With Quote