Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Unread 05-25-2015, 11:52 PM   #1
SleazyNerd

Tips for starting cosplay tutorial blog

Hello, I've been costuming for a couple of years, and Ive used numberous tutorials and blogs to teach myself as well as patterns. I was hoping to write up some simple tutorials, as well as writing about mi experience with creating them, and reviewing the patterns I used, and the modifications I did to them.
I'm going to create a facebook page, a wordpress, and a tumblr to post them.
I was just hoping someone with experience has any advice on creating a successful tutorial blog.
Anyone who has not made one can give suggestions as well, I'd love to hear what you like to see in tutorials/cosplay blogs, and what you hate in them.
SleazyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
brotaku
I'm just Saiyan...

I've used quite a few cosplay tutorials as well, so I can tell you things that worked for me, and that didn't. Also, please mention your preferred medium. I assume you're talking videos, but you might just be talking about photos and the written word, or podcasts. This makes a difference.

1) Film/photograph in a well-lit environment. I've seen a lot of tutorials where people film in a poorly lit garage, with a not very good camera and the noise make it impossible to see detail. In a well lit room, lower quality cameras can still provide solid footage.

2) If possible, film from different angles. Not only can you choose the better footage from 2 cameras, but you can switch back and forth as necessary. This is actually pretty important, especially if you're hunched over working on something.

3) Narrate or write explicitly. I've read one too many tutorials where the wording was vague, and thus, not very instructional. Don't assume people know nicknames for items or ideas. Explain things as you would to a 4th grader.

4) Monitor your audio. Make sure having the volume at 100% won't blow out someone's hearing.

5) If written word, use a font that's easily readable, and whose alpha-numeric characters are unique (think of 1's or I's being mistaken for lower cased Ls)

6) If using photos, make sure you take hi-res shots.

7) If speaking, speak slowly and calmly. Make sure to enunciate the words and syllables clearly. Check for plosives in the audio afterwards. Do your best to eliminate sources of ambient sound before recording.
brotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Having a separate editor (or beta reader, really) to look your tutorials over can also be very helpful. Something that might make total sense to me might be incredibly confusing to someone who hasn't tried the technique before.
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
HayBails

I started a cosplay blog as a project for a class. I major with art and technology so we focused on usability and writing for the web. I would look up books that tell you about web righting like Yahoo! Design Guide.
HayBails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
ilafatyu
That guy

Basic readability is important. I've seen so many tutorials written in bright green and red, and every single one is impossible to read. Stick to colors that are opposite light/dark, preferably dark words on a light background. Background images are okay as long as you remember the brighter and more complex it is, the more you're sacrificing the ease of reading.

Be aware of tutorials that already exist on the subject. What are their strengths, weaknesses? Is there anything you can add to the existing knowledge of this subject, or has the discussion been thoroughly explored?

Organization is key to keeping your archive functional. A long list of tutorials without any kind of grouping is daunting and people may not look at what you have to offer.
As time goes on, you're going to run out of ideas. At that point, hopefully you have enough of an audience that you can request a tutorial.

Before starting a dedicated blog, you may want to start distributing your tutorials through a personal cosplay page/blog, to gain readership. It'll also keep people engaged between tutorials, and engagement is the name of the game on FB. Being seen on tumblr means posting multiple times per day, so having a continuous stream of content will be necessary to a successful blog.

facebook page // nh cosplay events

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Constructing : Soren (Fire Emblem), Fox (RWBY)
Upgrading : Sheik (armor), Cloud (wig and armor)
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
Cinque
Cinquu Cosplay

Such a good tips!
Cinque is offline   Reply With Quote