Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 04-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #76
Kiramay
Filthy Casual

An old friend once told me that if you can't find the kind of pants you're looking for you should get a pajama pants pattern and modify it as necessary (like taking in the ankle for example). I'm trying to make a pair of plus size male pants but all that is really available anyway is pajama pants or scrub pants patterns.
The pants I am trying to make are pretty simple anyway and some folks in the fabric selection guide helped me figure out that I should go with a stretch knit or a linen (depends on what my local fabric store has in stock / prices). I was worried that a knit fabric might not work as well with the pajama pants pattern though, I've only ever used knits to make dresses.
Princess Yona (Yona of the Dawn)
Shirayuki (Snow White with the Red Hair)
Kiramay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2015, 03:23 AM   #77
DeAnna Designs
Gypsy Dream Studios

pattern help

There's a huge difference between knit and linen. Usually linen is a woven fabric. Knit can be lot's of different fiber types and they all have different properties. What is it that you are trying to make? Give us a link to an image and we can advise better.
DeAnna
I am a professional costume designer so your project will be completed with the best details and materials possible for your budget. You will feel all powerful and fabulous wearing a Gypsy Dream Studios costume. It will fit you and be comfortable. Please check out some other costumes I've made here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1023768600595.2004201.1416633832&type=1&l=b b156d1e1b

Thanks!
DeAnna
www.gypsydreamstudios.com
http://gypsydreamstudios.etsy.com
DeAnna Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #78
Kiramay
Filthy Casual

My apologies for not including any references and other information, it did not seem like a hugely in-depth topic for questions in specific characters, but I did not wish to make a whole topic just for it.
I am trying to make these pants (apologies again for limited image references)
Reference 1
Reference 2
Reference 3 (Animated)
Another lovely cosplay.com member suggested either using 100% cotton stretch knit or linen (to keep cool in blazing southern heat). I know my only local fabric store only sells spandex/cotton mixed knits though.
I am trying to make these pants in plus-size. I figured getting a pajama pants pattern would work, with elastic or draw-string waist and elastic in the ankles. Then just taking it in in the legs where necessary.
Unread 04-18-2015, 02:26 AM   #79
DeAnna Designs
Gypsy Dream Studios

pants pattern

Ok. These images don't really show much detail in the pants. I would take that to mean you can be very creative in how you make them. I would buy any plain black pants that fit you and concentrate on making the robes which are more uniquely identified with the character.
Try something like this: http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/...6#.VTH0fpOD5mw

Or, if you really want to make them yourself you have lots of options. They could be made like yoga pants out of cotton/spandex fabric. Or, if you want them to be heavier weight like chinos or jeans then the name of the fabric that you want is "bottomweight" That could mean denim or twill or any fabric that is considered heavy enough to make pants out of. You could use black sweat pants or yoga pants if you just want to be comfortable.

Try this http://kwiksew.mccall.com/k3588-prod...p?page_id=5546

or this http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m636...hp?page_id=101

Good luck!
DeAnna
I am a professional costume designer so your project will be completed with the best details and materials possible for your budget. You will feel all powerful and fabulous wearing a Gypsy Dream Studios costume. It will fit you and be comfortable. Please check out some other costumes I've made here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1023768600595.2004201.1416633832&type=1&l=b b156d1e1b

Thanks!
DeAnna
www.gypsydreamstudios.com
http://gypsydreamstudios.etsy.com
DeAnna Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #80
Kiramay
Filthy Casual

Th costume is not for me. We tried finding some basic pants but there isn't much for plus size that is thin enough to wear in hundred degree weather that is pants. We bought a similar pattern for men like the first pattern you linked though. It also included pockets.. so bonus con pocket storage! Thank you for your help!
Unread 04-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #81
KokiSegami

This is so helpful to me! Especially since I'm planning to start making my own Cosplays
KokiSegami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #82
MalteseLizzie

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I've bought a few patterns, and I'm having trouble with deciding what size to cut. If one size will fit my hips and waist, it won't fit my bust. I think I can alter the patterns to fit me, but I'm not sure which measurements are the most important when choosing a size.
For example, I bought Simplicty 1737 for a Katniss costume
My measurements
Bust: 85cm
Waist: 75cm
Hips: 95cm

The size that would fit my bust has a miniscule waist (only 67cm) and would also be tight on the hips at only 92cm

Currently Working On:
Sansa Stark (Direwolf Dress): Embroidery, Dress, Cloak
Planned:
Astrid (HTTYD 2)
MalteseLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #83
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

That's the pattern industry's dirty little secret: you DON'T just cut one size and sew it and pray it fits.

It does say somewhere on the pattern that they're "multi-sized for perfect fit!" or some similar bullshit. It basically means you choose the size-line that fits your numerical measurements at crucial points, like chest-waist-hips, and if they happen to be two different sizes, you just draw a line from one to the next to connect the size 12 bust with the size 16 waist. It's something we all end up learning to do anyway but it amuses me that the pattern right out says so and yet a lot of people never see it. It's usually printed on the pattern tissue, not in the instructions.

Depending on how you need the garment to look and how well it needs to fit, you most likely will need to not just do this, but also check other measurements - the width across the back across your shoulders, the length of the sleeve, the length of hip/rise and the length of leg on pants, etc etc etc. Everything is standardized to the least common denominator, so if you just close your eyes and cut a pattern the same size all around, you could end up with something that not only doesn't fit you, it doesn't fit in ways that can't be solved by merely taking up seams. You would have to start from scratch and recut the whole thing.

When in doubt, severely in doubt, make a mockup and do all your fixings to that. But in a pinch, or if you only want to check a couple of things, you can use the pattern paper itself as your mockup. Gently pin or tape it to form the seams and slide it on yourself, and look in the mirror to check and see if everything sits in the right spot. Shoulder seam too low? Lapel folding too high? Sleeve totally way too big? You can make adjustments before you even lay scissors to fabric.

At the very least measure the pattern pieces as they're laid out, and look all over the pattern (usually printed somewhere on the tissue paper but sometimes on the envelope itself) for "finished garment measurements" listing. It might say that a size 16 garment which should fit a 38" chest is actually 42" at the chest, and if you're not supposed to have that much extra give in the garment, you'll have a hint that the pattern is not going to play nice with you.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote