Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Unread 04-28-2016, 12:19 AM   #1
xRenascent
That crazy chick

Tips on relaxing?

This is weird...I've noticed it ever since I got into cosplaying.

But when I do photos for my Neo cosplay (who's known to be smirking/smiling psychopathically a lot), my face starts twitching when I do a smile. Even if it's relaxed.

Earlier today while I was driving to go to work and other places, I was practicing a natural, relaxed smile. It was great. Then later today, when I went to go to a RWBY screening in theaters with other cosplayers, we took photos at the end, and when I was trying to do a relaxed smile/pose, my face started twitching...a lot. Maybe it was because I was laughing from watching Volume 1 and some extra clips that were added to the screening, I'm not sure...

So, does anyone have any tips on how to relax my face? >_> It's a weird question but it's an issue that I have, specifically with Neo. My other copslays haven't had this issue just yet...

Potential 2017 Cons
Anime Expo/Colorado Springs Comic Con/Nan Desu Kan

Social Media Links
[deviantArt] | [Facebook (non-personal)] | [Tumblr] | [Twitter] | [World Cosplay]

I also stream/upload videos:
[Youtube] | [Twitch]
xRenascent is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2016, 02:17 AM   #2
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

A few tricks from my end!

1. Reset your pose. Go back to standing normally, take a deep breath, then get into pose again.
2. Eye reset. Close your eyes for a minute and focus on keeping them closed, while you count to three. Then open them again, slowly.
3. If it's your mouth, try speaking a little bit, even if it's just mouthing words to yourself. Then resume the smile after you've forced yourself to get out of it.
4. You know how people do the whole "say cheese!" thing before photos? That tends to be really kiddish/bares your teeth, but the word 'Thursday' produces a surprisingly natural smile, if you say it and then hold your facial position!
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
xRenascent
That crazy chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsOfCassiopeia View Post
A few tricks from my end!

1. Reset your pose. Go back to standing normally, take a deep breath, then get into pose again.
2. Eye reset. Close your eyes for a minute and focus on keeping them closed, while you count to three. Then open them again, slowly.
3. If it's your mouth, try speaking a little bit, even if it's just mouthing words to yourself. Then resume the smile after you've forced yourself to get out of it.
4. You know how people do the whole "say cheese!" thing before photos? That tends to be really kiddish/bares your teeth, but the word 'Thursday' produces a surprisingly natural smile, if you say it and then hold your facial position!
Thank you! I'll be trying these again on Saturday (or whenever I'll be wearing Neo after this).

Potential 2017 Cons
Anime Expo/Colorado Springs Comic Con/Nan Desu Kan

Social Media Links
[deviantArt] | [Facebook (non-personal)] | [Tumblr] | [Twitter] | [World Cosplay]

I also stream/upload videos:
[Youtube] | [Twitch]
xRenascent is offline   Reply With Quote