Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 10-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #916
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

It's fine to ask the photographer if you can further edit their photos. Some photographers get very possessive about their work and won't want to let you do it. Some photographers are fine with it (I usually am). As mentioned by monodistortion, if you politely explain what you'd like to change, that may help your case.

"Hi, I like this set but they look really dark on my screen - do you mind if I brighten them up a little?"

Side note: I agree that the "before" photo you posted is quite underexposed. This is not unusual if the photographer is editing on an uncalibrated monitor with the brightness turned way up - it looks fine on their too-bright screen, but too dark on most other screens.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #917
DanArt

Quote:
Hey^^ I have a question regarding photo editing. A beginner photographer took a few photos of me during the convention and edited them in his style, which is...very dark and overuses shadows to the pont where my face looks...kind of disfigured...I kinda like the photos, but the editing is awful, so I took a shot at 'fixing' them...I'm no pro, so my edits look a little messy, I just did this to give you an idea of what I mean...
Trying to answer that fully.

The image you posted looks like it needs a boost in Saturation ( color ??? ). The background needs to be removed ( etc/dancing ants ) and some glam wouldn't hurt ( while I am against that ).

Going back into the image, more lighting to eliminate the dark-spots would have been great.
It appears that ( under exposed ) to hide the background as much a possible. A light source would not hurt at all.

If you did get your hands on anybodies image. It is okay to play around with it for fun but you shouldn't ( at all ) profit off it or call it your own ( in terms of portfolio pieces ). I mean collage is another story entirely but the individual edit would be there for fun. You could use it to show examples of editing work but not call it your own work, and not in a space where a person could see the original authors work. If the original author did request to remove the image you would have to or compensate.

Looking in detail through my image viewer. It looks like you cleaned up around the nose area. If there is light hitting the nape of the nose then there is light going into the nostril as well.
The sharpness of the image might use a jump as well, just to get that hardness. Otherwise a soft image is also prefered.

The entire background could replaced with forest. Just head down to a local park ( while it is fall ) and snap some pictures of areas with falling leaves and foliage. That is my opinion. A cast of blue wouldn't hurt and the horizon could go on forever.

Last edited by DanArt : 10-08-2016 at 08:57 AM.
DanArt is offline   Reply With Quote