Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Unread 12-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
WingsofAngels48

Kimonos

I'm thinking about buying a kimono to wear to the Katsucon 17 formal ball. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I don't really want to buy some fake cheap thing that culturally makes no sense either. Before I go traveling the depths of the internet, does anyone know enough about kimonos to tell me where or how to find an 'authentic' one, whether there even is any difference between an 'authentic' one and $15 ebay one, if there are 'authentic' and inexpensive ones anyone, what style/color/pattern would be appropriate for a young single woman in the wintertime, etc
WingsofAngels48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
Blood_Sword
aka Shiro Samurai

I do know a lot about kimono but I'm kinda tired right now so I'll just tell you that I really recommend you join and ask over at Immortal Geisha's Facebook group instead. There's a lot of very knowledgeable and kind people out there willing to help beginners who have an interest in traditional kimono.

You can find authentic kimono on eBay (try searching "vintage kimono Japan") for cheap but be wary of the fakes. Then again, they're really easy to tell apart once you know what to look out for. I've bought vintage kimonos for less than 10 dollars, excluding shipping... well, men's kimono, but still.
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
WingsofAngels48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Sword View Post
I do know a lot about kimono but I'm kinda tired right now so I'll just tell you that I really recommend you join and ask over at Immortal Geisha's Facebook group instead. There's a lot of very knowledgeable and kind people out there willing to help beginners who have an interest in traditional kimono.

You can find authentic kimono on eBay (try searching "vintage kimono Japan") for cheap but be wary of the fakes. Then again, they're really easy to tell apart once you know what to look out for. I've bought vintage kimonos for less than 10 dollars, excluding shipping... well, men's kimono, but still.
Thanks, I asked over there and they were really helpful I ended up buying a really pretty houmongi
WingsofAngels48 is offline   Reply With Quote