Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 04-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
Sonic Whammy
Time to PRESS YOUR LUCK!

2017 Live-Action: Yay or nay?

Hey gang, got a timely question for everyone with Ghost In The Shell now one weekend into its box office run. This question is part of my Card Sharks survey right now on our YouTube channel, but I'm looking for extra responses to speed up my quest to get 100 responses by the end of the month. If you guys can help and give your two cents, it would help a lot.

The question:
There are several live-action anime films coming out over the course of this calendar year. Do you think that as a group, they are going to be more "hits" or "misses"?

Brian "Sonic Whammy" Sapinski
Lost Silver Productions
Host of Game Show Megamix
Subscribe on Youtube, Facebook, and Twitter (@GameshowMegamix)
Sonic Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

Which ones are coming out? GitS was lightning that's hard to bottle again. Might be easier to avoid turning other source material into a burning turd in a bucket.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
Sonic Whammy
Time to PRESS YOUR LUCK!

Not all of them are American made, but the most relevant ones I've been reading about that are coming are: Death Note (the one American one), FMA, Blade of the Immortal, Jojo, Gintama and Tokyo Ghoul. Some others are listed here.

Hope this helps in making the argument.

Lost Silver Productions
Unread 04-05-2017, 04:13 AM   #4
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

Hahaha oh god, Jojo is going to be a car fire straight off a cliff and not in a cool way.
Unread 04-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
Scunosi

Hard for me to say really, I've never seen any of the live-action adaptations of the past. I do know they mostly have pretty B-movie reputations, and the Western adaptations usually are considered even worse (think Street Fighter or DBZ).

Some of the ones on that list don't look like they'll be bad; Blade of the Immortal looks like it could be cool, and I feel like FMA is so big they have to make sure it's actually good, though I know some people would've preferred an actually Western cast for that movie. And just being popular isn't enough to guarantee quality, I heard the Attack on Titan movie wasn't actually very good. The Neko Atsume one looks like it'll just be fluffy nonsense just like the game, so I guess it'll live up to expectations?

The problem is they mostly have actually pretty good character shots and outfits, so like they look like they could be visually good, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. It's kind of common that a lot of Japanese stuff is way more style than substance. I guess my usual opinion is I just ignore these kinds of movies entirely? I did hear the Rurouni Kenshin ones are not bad at least, but even though I'm a fan of that series I never bothered watching them. I kinda wonder who they're made for, fans of the anime/manga, or are they supposed to appeal to a broader Japanese audience that doesn't like anime/manga? Kind of the same way modern superhero movies draw in way bigger audiences than just comicbook readers. But I guess Japanese studios don't have quite the same budget as Hollywood so they usually end up looking pretty B-tier.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2017, 09:43 PM   #6
Respawning

I heard there may be a live action Akira? Or is that just my husband's little fantasy? I really don't see how a live action remake of Akira could do it justice though. Or even really do it at all.

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel
Working on: Ciri Witcher 3

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2017, 12:32 AM   #7
Sonic Whammy
Time to PRESS YOUR LUCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respawning View Post
I heard there may be a live action Akira? Or is that just my husband's little fantasy? I really don't see how a live action remake of Akira could do it justice though. Or even really do it at all.
Akira & Bleach are both due out next year, that's why they're not in the discussion at the moment. I have to check, but one or both of those are going to be American made as well.

Meanwhile, Mango & Scunosi, am I fair in concluding that both of you are voting for "Miss"? And Respawning, how about you?

Lost Silver Productions
Unread 04-06-2017, 06:06 AM   #8
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

Nah man I'm saying Jojo will look like Big Bang took a dump in a blender and sold it to a Japanese production company. That's not "Miss". That's "Big Bang took a dump in a blender and sold it to a Japanese production company".
Unread 04-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #9
BisectedBrioche
Selfie Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respawning View Post
Assuming it's a good movie, it might be neat to see some of the rest of the manga adapted.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%) Sheik (?)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #10
Respawning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Whammy View Post
Akira & Bleach are both due out next year, that's why they're not in the discussion at the moment. I have to check, but one or both of those are going to be American made as well.

Meanwhile, Mango & Scunosi, am I fair in concluding that both of you are voting for "Miss"? And Respawning, how about you?
I think the odds are stacked more in the "miss" department simply because they can be very difficult to translate to the real world (especially when directors want to change aspects of it to put their own mark on the story). I would be very pleased to see them be "hits" though.

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel
Working on: Ciri Witcher 3

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #11
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Hahaha oh god, Jojo is going to be a car fire straight off a cliff and not in a cool way.
My boyfriend and I LOVE JJBA and when he showed me the trailer for the live-action Jojo, I was really on the fence. He's really excited for it but I'm really not sure how I feel about it.

https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #12
Sonic Whammy
Time to PRESS YOUR LUCK!

These answers keep getting better and better, I love it. That's what makes this fun, seeing where people's experiences and opinions take them. You guys rock, keep 'em coming!

Lost Silver Productions