Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 07-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #241
korranation

I use the Singer 3323 Talent. It's mechanical, comes with all the basics. It's all I need right now.
korranation is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #242
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

I recently upgraded to a Janome Skyline S5 and WOW has it made a difference. It's an expensive machine ($1499 MSRP, though I got it at a dealer's sale for $1199 CAD) but it is worth every penny. If you're an intermediate to advanced sewer and wondering if it's worth it to spend the extra money on a premium sewing machine...IT TOTALLY IS.

This machine has several different button holes, a 9" work area to the right of the needle, auto lock stitch or auto backtack, and a thread cutting button. The automated features have sped up my sewing immensely. The auto tension makes switching to light, thin fabrics a breeze, and it sews fast and smooth.

It took me 10 years sewing to finally cave and spend this kind of money, but I'm so happy I did. I also splurged and bought the wide pedal and an acrylic extension table.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2015, 06:37 AM   #243
skippingrecord

I have finally gotten a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 118' and it's absolutely great! Totally recommend it. (Although it is $400)
skippingrecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #244
Khorrupt

I have a Brother LX2763 -- 27 types of stitches, no frills otherwise, but it gets the job done and it is INFINITELY less clunky/less prone to jamming than my last one, which was a Singer 3116. The only thing is that, the Brother one has a top-drop bobbin which I like less than the "regular" ones (which the Singer one had.)
Unread 06-30-2016, 06:16 AM   #245
PeriodCostume

I use Pfaff creative 3.0. Best machine ever
PeriodCostume is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #246
Charlemagne
Champion of Kirkwall

I have a Husqvarna Viking Topaz 20, which is both a sewing and embroidery machine. They don't make this particular model anymore, but I really love it.

Hawke - Dragon Age (100%)
Padme Amidala (Loyalist Committee Gown) - Star Wars (Planned)
Eowyn - Lord of the Rings (Planned)
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #247
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

Singer 2263. Mine's branded as a Tradition but apparently in the US it's sold as a Simple.
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2016, 09:27 PM   #248
jellosy
Natalie

I use a Singer Esteem II, and it works great for all my cosplay needs. And I sew a lot! Cost about $110 at wal-mart, and has never failed me.

Current Projects

Asuka Langley Soryu
0%

Griffith
0%

Kumiko Omae
50% she is half euphonium

Planned
Tsumugi Shiraui
Satsuki Kiriyuin
Asuka Langley Soryu
Saber Alter
Beatrice the Golden Witch
Gyro Zeppeli

jellosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2016, 10:26 PM   #249
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Can't believe I didn't post here back in December. My 1980's Singer finally died and I got myself a Janome SUV1122 for Xmas! It's not an especially sophisticated machine, but it is a WORKHORSE. I sew full time and it has taken EVERYTHING I've thrown at it. Heck, I haven't even cleaned and oiled it yet despite sewing well over 20 hours a week almost every week for the last six months, and it's still running beautifully if a little loud. Only things I haven't yet put through it are silk, genuine fur, genuine leather and genuine suede (because no, can't afford that shit).
And I also have a serger. A Brotherlock who's model number I forget and I'm not dragging it out to get. Next on eventual gear acquisition is a proper embroidery machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2017, 05:29 AM   #250
kuntalsk

Janome is also good, it is slowly improving its quality and the price is also too affordable, compared to Brother, Singer and other top brands!
kuntalsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #251
Reiliki
Two Worlds Creator

With all the things I do I own four different sewing machines. The first, is a Brother Runway Model, I use nearly all of ts stitches in a week and it hasn't let me down. I've also ordered a lot of attachments for it and they've been great, What I recommend with this machine is always keeping track of your needle types. It really upgrades the life expectancy and outcome of your projects when you keep your needle types secured to the proper fabrics. AKA, Use your needles properly!!!!
The Second is a Brother SE400, This is a duo machine and has an embroidery hoop of 4x7 inches. It's a wonderful machine though it has its downsides, the Embroidery attachment bed often gets stuck and won't remove from the rest of the machine when I need it off for regular sewing projects. This machine mainly houses my Gold standard embroidery needles, if your doing any form of embroidery on a Machine I really recommend this needle.
Third is your typical serger, if you get one beware the headache, Never unthread the machine, cut the string up top and tie the new colors to it, this will prevent many headaches. You'll really want to learn how to maintenance this machine a lot, the nature of a serger makes it build up a lot of fibers on the inside, and if these aren't routinely removed it can cause severe damage to the machine.
The last is my oldest, I personally call her Goliath, she is almost a hundred, solid metal everything besides the belt and other motion based parts. When I first saw her my main thoughts were on how beautiful she was, however as time has gone on she's definitely been the most treasured of all my machines. Strong enough to punch through leather, canvas, and almost any amount of bunched up fabric I can grill through her. With her age I have to treat her as quite the special lady, she has a sealing case lined with rice on the bottom to ensure she doesnt rust when I'm not using her for a long period of time. She is also the only one of my machines I allow to get serviced regularly by the pros. Though this is also because I'm too afraid to screw her up if I tried myself. If you ever get the chance, I really believe adding an older sewing machine to your repertoire is one of the best things you can do.
Reiliki is offline   Reply With Quote