Unread 02-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #121
popaandreea

thanks
popaandreea is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #122
PPCB-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton_Anchors View Post
Do any of you use liquid eyeliner pencils, and know of any other good ones? Or is there a liquid liner out there that is equally easy to put on?

Also, do any of you know what kind of concealer is good for undereye circles?
Have you considered a gel pencil liner or a liner you apply with a brush? At first I was afraid of making a huge mess when applying eyeliner with a brush, but if you get a brush with short bristles in a flat configuration it's actually very easy. The trick is to NOT put your liner on in one long line but rather to draw it on in short dashes. For a gel pencil, a good quality liner will go on smooth as silk. If you sharpen it first, you can draw very fine lines. To get a nice, sharp point, it might help to put the gel pencil in the fridge for a few minutes before sharpening. You might also want to think about a colored liner, if you just want to make your natural eyes look better. Colored liners can enhance the color of your eyes so they stand out more in general.

As far as dark circles, there are a couple things you can do to make covering them easier. Dark circles are basically blood that is visible in the tiny blood vessels under the thin, delicate skin around your eyes. You can try to eliminate the cause by drinking more water, evaluating the quality of your sleep, or using a product with an ingredient like Haloxyl that improves circulation in those tiny blood vessels and strengthens them so the blood is less visible.

With regard to concealer tips, look for one that has a slightly yellow tone to counteract the blue/purple of the circles and one that is nice and creamy. Apply gently on the circle then taper down in a v-shape to help camouflage the concealer. The idea is to help your foundation do its job without having makeup caked under your eyes.

Good luck finding your dream liner and doing away with those pesky dark circles!
PPCB-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #123
PPCB-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aundreiya View Post
I have watched probably 20-35% of the Cosplay makeup tutorials YouTube has to offer. Everyone uses so many different brands it's gotten overwhelming and going to my local ULTA store has me in an anxious stress knot. Any advice from an expert would really put my mind (and heart) at ease.
Do you have any friends that are great with makeup in general? Places like Ulta are so overwhelming when you're just getting started! It's like sending a puppy into Petco and telling it to do its own shopping. Having someone hold your hand a little bit can help a lot! Even if your coloring isn't the same as your friend's, just getting an idea of what product does what on your face is a good place to start. Or, rather than trying to achieve an entire look all at once, focus on one aspect of the makeup. Lips are an easy in since you can watch what you're doing as you do it. Once you get that down, move on to another part of your face until you're confident creating the whole picture.

If you don't have someone close by, I'm happy to offer whatever guidance I can from afar!
PPCB-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2016, 01:12 AM   #124
AlwaysRoyal

Hi, new here. I'm a 25 year old guy with no makeup experience to speak of. My outfit this year has an eyemask. What sort of simple, black makeup does one use as filler for between the eyeholes and the eyes?
AlwaysRoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #125
ebanks90

This is a great way to cover your body in paint AND make it last a long time- the ones under full body makeup and long lasting and really outdated http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.ph...ght=face+paint
ebanks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #126
ebanks90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysRoyal View Post
Hi, new here. I'm a 25 year old guy with no makeup experience to speak of. My outfit this year has an eyemask. What sort of simple, black makeup does one use as filler for between the eyeholes and the eyes?
Always Royal you can use a water based paint near the eyes. It is a light paint, and comes off easily with soap ad water so it shouldnt irritate your sensitive areas. Here is a video using the FAB black paint to make a Harley Quinn mask- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii2bbzSqYYI

You can get FAB water based face paint here- http://fxcosplay.com/collections/fac...paint/fab-16gm
ebanks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #127
unovian

Hello! I'm working on upgrading my Sigilyph cosplay from last year.
https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a0&oe=59AD3D1E
(Excuse the fact that my cosplay was rushed and practically falling apart last year... don't do procrastination, kids.)

Part of that includes learning the art of cosplay makeup. As someone who's never tried makeup ever before, I've tested out some basic things and it seems pretty fun, and I'm studying a couple of cosplay makeup tutorials. However, most seems to cover either cute anime styles, or styles very specific to different characters that so far haven't really relate to my costume. At the present I'm not too sure what kind of approach I want to this cosplay's makeup if I want it to beyond just everyday basic.

If it helps, the kind of impression I want is something of a noble, mystical, mature, and maybe a bit weird sorcerer. I'm also a complete beginner at makeup, so really fancy techniques or supplies are a bit off-limits.

Thanks!
unovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #128
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovian View Post
Hello! I'm working on upgrading my Sigilyph cosplay from last year.
https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a0&oe=59AD3D1E
(Excuse the fact that my cosplay was rushed and practically falling apart last year... don't do procrastination, kids.)
---

Part of that includes learning the art of cosplay makeup. As someone who's never tried makeup ever before, I've tested out some basic things and it seems pretty fun, and I'm studying a couple of cosplay makeup tutorials. However, most seems to cover either cute anime styles, or styles very specific to different characters that so far haven't really relate to my costume. At the present I'm not too sure what kind of approach I want to this cosplay's makeup if I want it to beyond just everyday basic.

If it helps, the kind of impression I want is something of a noble, mystical, mature, and maybe a bit weird sorcerer. I'm also a complete beginner at makeup, so really fancy techniques or supplies are a bit off-limits.

Thanks!
Personally if I was doing a Sigilyph I'd do my makeup more weird/ancient style than a modern style. Maybe try some designs based on the kachina dolls it's supposedly based off of, or just incorporate parts of its design across your face. I think a black zigzag across your face under your eyes could look cool, and would certainly be a simpler option than dealing with a bunch of color. Or maybe even across your eyes closer to how it is on the Pokémon.

Since you're potentially looking at some crazy designs, maybe take a photo of your face (with costume on if possible) and then play around with doodling over it in Paint or some other basic editing software to see what you like. Would save you materials which can definitely get pricey.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2017, 07:13 PM   #129
unovian

Hey, thanks! Great idea! Why didn't I think of that before? Haha, and I was already doubting if I'm going to actually end up using all the makeup I bought from the drugstore... at least I can use it to even out and prime my face.

So what do you suggest for the markings? Can I simply use an eyeliner pencil, or would I have to also go out and buy paint? The con is less than two weeks away so I don't think I'll have time to order stuff online.
unovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #130
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovian View Post
Hey, thanks! Great idea! Why didn't I think of that before? Haha, and I was already doubting if I'm going to actually end up using all the makeup I bought from the drugstore... at least I can use it to even out and prime my face.

So what do you suggest for the markings? Can I simply use an eyeliner pencil, or would I have to also go out and buy paint? The con is less than two weeks away so I don't think I'll have time to order stuff online.
Yes, definitely still use the "regular" makeup for general priming and prettying (to the degree you want it anyway). I may recommend white eyeliner rather than black but it all depends on the look you end up going for.

For markings I do think the usual method is to outline first with some sort of liner (pencil, gel, etc). For the inner area body paint would probably be best (and honestly cheapest compared to using expensive makeup in such large amounts) but I'm sure you could use something else like a...smudge stick? Moistened eye shadow? Or something? I don't actually know much about different types of makeup beyond the basic stuff like eyeliner, mascara, etc. By the way don't cover your face in mascara though, that stuff's nasty and I can barely tolerate putting it on my eyelashes already.

I don't think it'd actually be that hard to find body paint since you'd just need black (unless you wanted to go with maybe green or yellow but even those are basic colors). If you live in an urban enough area try checking out any local party stores or even just the big everything stores like Walmart or Target, they'd likely have some basic colors in maybe the kid, craft, or seasonal sections. With people gearing up for summer face paint wouldn't be that hard to find. It wouldn't necessarily be the best quality but it'd do what you need.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote