Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Introductions

Unread 06-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
Check

Hi there!

Hi all! My name is "Check" and I'm fairly new here.

For as long as I can remember, Iíve been a SciFi/Fantasy fan. At an early age I remember going to a couple of Star Trek conventions and having a blast (thatís what we had back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth). Then several years back something new started happening: Cosplay. We watched the TV series Heroís of Cosplay with Yaya Han and loved it. Back in 2012 we went to SOE Live in Vegas and really liked the costume contest and the people doing cosplay. In 2014 we heard about AwesomeCon in DC and had a blast there as well. Also in 2014, we went to our second SOE Live in Vegas and decided to make it an annual event for us. Unfortunately, 2014 was the last SOE Live ever. We went to AwesomeCon in 2014 and 2015 but had to skip 2016 due to our daughterís graduation from High School. With AwesomeCon 2017 coming up, my daughter mentioned that she would like to Cosplay as Link from Legend of Zelda. At the time, I had no idea how significant that small statement was.

I asked her if she would rather do it by herself or if sheíd like me to Cosplay as well. To be honest, I think I just used that as an excuse to try it out myself. I was going through ideas for costumes and mentioned Sweeney Todd. My wife mentioned she could go as Mrs. Lovett. Thatís what started the month+ long adventure that would become our first foray into Cosplay.

Last Saturday, we went to Awesomecon and Cosplayed for the first time (is that the right way to say it? Cosplayed?) WOW! What a blast it was. People yelling "Sweeney Todd!" out of the windows of moving cars, and over 50 people asking if they can have a picture in the 4 hours we were at the convention. Same thing happened with my Daughter as well. Even had someone in the parking garage roll down there window and ask for a picture on the way out (they pulled over, hopped out, got their picture taken with me, then headed on their way). Now I have a little glimpse of what celebrities feel like when they go out. It was also kinda fun having dinner in full costume at a Mexican restaurant on the way home.

Along the way, I learned so many new skills and learned a lot of tips and tricks. Because my memory isnít what it used to be, Iíve got to record all that info before it leaks out of my ears so I decided to set up a site to track it all. Once I get a few things written up, I'll start linking it in my signature but I'm at the very early stages so far.

Anyway, hello to everyone here at Cosplay.com!
Check is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
Keitarin
Keyblade Wielder

Hi there, nice to meet you! I still remember the feeling of cosplaying for the first time. It's so much fun to just turn into someone else for a day. I didn't go to Awesome Con this year but I've been with friends in the past. The dealer's room is crazy huge!

Got any characters picked out for future cosplays?
Sabitsuki (.flow): 44%
Monoe (Yume Nikki): 25%
Keitarin is offline   Reply With Quote