Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 08-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #16
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

My experiences of public transportation in cosplay are fairly limited. Last year at NDK I took the train to the convention dressed as Human Luna and while I got a couple of funny looks, no one said a word. At the end of the weekend I rode around the downtown area on the bus while dressed as Female France (I had a friend cosplaying Female Germany with me). A lady on the bus asked me and my friend what the occasion was, and so we joked and said I won a beauty pageant and my friend was my bodyguard. Eventually we told her what was really going on, but we all had a good laugh.

Then at DCC I rode the bus from my house all the way downtown (a 1-hour trip, mind you) dressed as Female Usopp (minus the latex nose) and no one minded. Only when I got off the bus and walked into Starbucks did anyone say anything, and it was pretty much all compliments from the baristas.

https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2016, 08:25 PM   #17
CdrCain

I've only done it once and I hate all the people who stare at me. I really feel uncomfortable in situations like that so I only do it when I've with a group now so I wont stand out as much.
CdrCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #18
SuzuStarlight
Hitohira Kazehana

I've gone to plenty of Cons in Cosplay and most experiences were fairly okay. I actually don't care as much about being stared at in Cosplay, compared to being stared at out of cosplay (which I got a lot while I was in Japan and I even feel people still do it here in my home country. I don't even have flaming red bangs anymore oO).
My train experience was usually normal, the worst that ever happened was an insane crowd because there was a soccer game on the con day.
But yeah, I do get some people, mostly middle-aged or elderly, who (politely) ask why I'm wearing a costume and if I'm gonna go to some kind of event (and also where that event is). But so far, it was always genuine interest instead of looking down on me or anything. I once even met my former Chinese teacher and her daughter (after I quit Chinese class to study Japanese) and she recognized me despite my blonde wig and white dress and said to her little daughter: "Mommy knows that princess!"
Another time we went to a private meet-up and my best friend was cosplaying Link from LoZ, when a little girl stuck her face between the seats, looked at him in excitement and asked: "You're Link, aren't you?"

Also, the closer to the location of the con you get, the more cosplayers are there. Especially on buses or local trains, so people actually tend to sit in groups and sing Anime songs. (No joke, that happens fairly often. Especially if the bus is a shuttle bus for a Con, of course.)

~Up Next~
Medic ~Human Form~ (Kamen Rider Drive)
SuzuStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2016, 02:29 AM   #19
migao

I just give them a smile if I happen to see them staring at me lol
migao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2016, 04:27 AM   #20
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

So far I've only taken public transport to a con once. In that case all I had to do was change jackets and throw some accessories on when I got there.

What I'm not sure about is the next time I go there when I'm likely to be wearing something more elaborate (in theory, Madoka Kaname's magical girl dress) and have no idea where I can get changed. =/

Instagram - Facebook

Last edited by Lost Cause : 11-16-2016 at 04:32 AM.
Lost Cause is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #21
Sapphirecatgirl

I've gone on public transportation at least 4 or 5 times in cosplay for NYCC. Most people are curious to see someone in costume from what I've seen. It's funny to see other people's reactions if you feel comfortable enough to reply, but over all it's fine in my opinion. Just try to get an Uber or Lyft app on the way back, especially if you get out late at night. The funniest public transportation moment for me was this last NYCC on sunday, I was waiting for a bus in the rain in my Mettaton EX cosplay. A little kid (probably 4 or 5) points at me and says "scary"... I just laughed it off.

Upcoming or In Progress Costumes
Peridot (Steven Universe)....... 75% Done
Esther Blanchett (Trinity Blood) .............45% Done
Sapphirecatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #22
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

I've done that. In Canada and in Japan. I've taken bus, train, and subway, even rode the bullet train in Japan in Cosplay. Most people didn't seem bothered by me at all.

Now, I wouldn't wear something that had a huge prop or huge wings or something. I wouldn't have weapons with me (although on the subway in Toronto I did have a plastic gun in my purse for my character.)

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2017, 12:45 AM   #23
Tallypop
Terezi-Ruvik-Xenomorph

I ride the trolley in cosplay from the suburbs into San Diego every year for SDCC! I think it's a little different for SDCC, though, because it's SO huge that no one is ever surprised to see anyone in cosplay. xD
Tallypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2017, 08:24 AM   #24
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

I've never actually had to take public transportation while in cosplay but I've had buddies that have!
(I wouldn't be able to safely fit on anything, either, my costume last year had a 6' train attached to it lmao)
They say it's always interesting getting gawked at by people because it's always a mix of intrigue and possibly fear, depending on the cosplay.

Eventually they kinda catch on when they see the thousands of other people wandering about in costumes, but the experience making you uncomfortable makes sense!
Being in cosplay in public(if it's not something you do often) in general can be very uncomfortable because you can FEEL everyone's eyes on you.

But there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking public transportation while in cosplay, you gotta do what you gotta do!

-Various Overwatch stuff
-Purah, LoZ: Breath of the Wild
-Sakizo(This shouldn't be a surprise!)

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s) σf 2017:
-Card Captor Sakura

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
Raleigh Super Con 2017?
Katsucon 2018
Momocon 2018

Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #25
Scunosi

I've taken the bus into Seattle (from another part of Seattle) a couple of times for PAX West back before we were real grown-ups who could pay for a hotel. I don't remember feeling particularly awkward but I was usually in a group of 5+. And Seattle has cons all the time so I think it's not as out of the ordinary for people around here to see cosplayers or people in other kinds of costumes.

The only concern I usually have is if I have a bunch of bags or props. I've had more props in the past few years but we've also started getting hotels (or been carpooled in) so it hasn't been a problem for some time though and I'd only be concerned if I was on my own. You want to make sure you have at least one hand free IMO, either for holding onto the bus or keeping creeps away, and if you're bogged down in tons of bags full of swag and immobilized by your costume you're going to make for an easy target.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #26
UnluckyRabbit

Took a bus from New Jersey to New York in full cosplay.It was alittle akward with people staring and such but once more people who were going to comic con got on it was fine..
UnluckyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2017, 02:47 AM   #27
Chaletica
Chaotic Lazy Anti-Villain

If it's a nearby con, I usually travel down in costume and have no problem with that x3 Might get a few looks but I don't really mind, typically it feels more curious than rude. Often meet groups of other cosplayers too, and only comments I've gotten when obviously being in costume is being asked (politely) why I'm/the group is dressed like that and if there's some event going on, and I'll just explain it's a convention where the congoers often dress up like fictional characters.

http://consolers.webcomic.ws My webcomic, Consolers. It's about game companies

Last edited by Chaletica : 05-09-2017 at 02:50 AM.
Chaletica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #28
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

I might be fine if heading/coming back from March Comic Con and Fan Expo, especially from coming into the city and taking the GO train (no one can see you properly on the train since how the seats are placed) so I might be able to get away with it. For Anime North, I'll just change before heading home to avert people's looks since me having to come back is tiring and I don't really want to deal with that xD

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #29
JaceGem
No Longer Afraid

I don't use public transport, I usually am driven there by someone. That being said when I walk up to the convention center doors I'm usually followed by fellow cosplayers so it's not that awkward. I HAVE gotten awkward stares before though coming out of the convention. This year, since my dress is SO big and poofy I'll probably just wait to get to the con center before I change.

Tumblr

Twitter
JaceGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #30
DiscoGlacier

I'm considering using the subway system to get to and from Anime Expo this year. In the past, it wasn't even a consideration, as I didn't know all that well about Los Angeles' public transportation system. However, the alternative isn't desirable: driving in traffic for an hour, spending several minutes looking for a $20 MINIMUM parking space, then having to walk a lengthy distance to the convention center. The $1.75 per subway ride looks trivial by comparison, and the regular schedules look very promising.
DiscoGlacier is offline   Reply With Quote