Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 06-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

Plasti Dip - Is it Right for Me?

I'm going to be making two armor pieces for an upcoming cosplay and I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about Plasti Dip and if it would work with my materials.

One of the armor pieces is going to be made from craft foam while the rest will be made from EVA foam. Does Plasti Dip work well on these materials? Does it sand, and will it stand up under stress (I will be traveling out of state with these pieces). Also, how easy is it to paint and what paints work best? This material is new to me and I have a lot of questions.

Thank you!
Anime Expo 2015 and 2016

::Upcoming Cons::
Nan Desu Kan 2017
Colorado Anime Fest 2018
Anime Expo 2018
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #2
vonjankmon

So plasti-dip is great on foam, I (and a lot of people) use it as a sealer for EVA and craft foam because the spray cans do not melt foam like normal spray paint does. Once you have a good coat of plasti-dip on the foam you can spray paint (or paint with a brush) it without any issues.

It is very flexible and will hold up well under stress but you cannot sand it. It is literally a thin coat of rubber basically and if you try and sand a piece of foam covered in it you will just peel the plasti-dip off.
vonjankmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
gules
Only slightly dead

Seconded. I used this to prime before I did some armor as well, and I didn't sand the foam itself correctly (my bad), and it kept the texture. On the bright side, you won't lose texture. On the not-so-bright side, you can't fill with it or sand it. (Actually, foam can be sanded on its own, before painting. I've seen results when it's done, but I couldn't tell you how to make it so smooth. It's crazy what people can do.)

Do all your smoothing and sanding first, then use your plastidip before you spray paint. Not using it can melt your foam, so you still want it. Make sure it fully dries before layering more paint on!

For your other questions:
- Plastidip is extremely flexible and holds up well to casual movement. You're more likely to scuff your paint than crack the Plastidip. I scuffed my armor on purpose for a battle-worn look, and it came out totally fine.
- While there is a paint-on version, I've never used it. You're running a higher risk of drips there, as the cure time is pretty long (4 hours per coat). Most people use the spray paint, and just layer it fine multiple times. It takes a while outside, but it'll be worth it. It comes in a small handful of colors, but I used black as a base since I wanted mine scuffed. Again, think of it as a base coat and go with your gut. I would never use a red base unless the whole armor was going to be red, for instance.
gules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #4
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

These 2 pieces I used plasti-dip to seal them before painting them (the edges of the shoulder armor look bad on purpose, that wasn't because of the plasti-dip, just in case):
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3544729/
So if it works for EVA foam, it'll work on craft foam since they are the same thing, just one is cut in thinner sheets.
-Created Character [SAO Hollow Realization]
-Cloud [Dissidia Final Fantasy]
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #5
Over casanova

I actually just used the plasti dip spray for the first time a few days ago. You gotta be careful while spraying. I had to hang my piece up on like a hook spray it let it dry and I did like 3 layers. But it worked out great for my insulation foam.
Over casanova is offline   Reply With Quote