visionary

is/can it be conciderd "original"?

if you trace a part of someone elses design/art
alter it, take it out of context

if its still recogniseable when shown side by side

can it be concidered "original", or should you claim "inspired by"
even if the context is differant

example, you take a neat detailing from an art image
and decide to make a weapon design from it?

disclaimer* im not an expert, i simply add in my "2 cents" having a second opinion is always a safe bet
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Honestly it really depends on what both look like. You say it resembles the original, but how? changing the colors but not the line for line work IS art theft. Recolors are not "inspired by" or anything. But if you just traced the pose, because you liked the way the pose looked, but the outfit, hair, and any other items were a design you made, and were not direct copies of the original, than yes, that should be totally fine. I would say in the description/caption, that you used that drawing to get the pose you thought fit well with the character.

Taking design aspects from the original also depends on how much. Having long hair and a rifle could be what you want because you say them on the original, but that's not something they can own. They can't own the concept of a long haired character with a rifle..But that's an example of taking a design aspect, but so it using a specific shirt decal they drew that they designed for the same character, which in this situation let's say it's a logo for an in universe company the artist created, and you straight up just use it. THAT would be art theft, where the first one would not. So again, it depends..
-Created Character [SAO Hollow Realization]
-Cloud [Dissidia Final Fantasy]
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #3
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

to elaborate what i did is take part of this silver detail located next to the G+1 icon
http://wallpaper-s.org/20__Dark_Just...m#.WVmvalGQyUk

and sketched out a scythe head
for the most part the over all shape is recogniseable, but the proportions are changed
and some minor repositioning

i suck at drawing, and was trying to make a scythe head of a similar silloette
and this was my desktop background and it caught my eye,
but i was already going for a similar design (minus the points left/up of the circle)
just it was much easier to blow this up and trace it rather than continue to fail freestyle

disclaimer* im not an expert, i simply add in my "2 cents" having a second opinion is always a safe bet

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 07-02-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Unread 07-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
lunaflora

We can look to copyright law for inspiration of what is considered original/unoriginal. I believe it's 20% alteration when the artist does not really have a case against the person altering their artwork. HOWEVER, like minimum wage in the USA, it's hardly enough ethically.

Tracing is fine initially, but you should then change some lines to make it your own. If your outline looks like the outline of the original, then it's not enough. No matter how the Mona Lisa is colored, just looking at the outline would tell people that it is the Mona Lisa. I would alter it until the original artist would not be able to recognize it as their own work.

If you take a design and replicate it onto something else, that's not a really groovy thing to do.. Hm... think of it this way. In Christianity, the symbol is a cross, right? If you put that cross on anything, people will see it and think "Christianity." If i put that cross on a building, it's a Christian church. On a book, and it's a Bible. Whatever you put that symbol on, it still belongs to the original artist. So if you put an artist's design on a sword, I would put " based on" "inspired by" "Permission to use design granted by" .

Another example, there was a Celtic knot design created by an artist I wanted to embroider onto a dress. I had to ask the original artist to do so, and (if i had actually finished it) included a link with the the photos to the originating artwork and give credit to the original artist.

TL;DR
Better to be safe. Ask permission first. Alter design to make it your own in order to call it your own. Otherwise, don't call it as your own. Give credit where credit is due.
lunaflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

cant find artist name, and art seems to have been used by atleast 1 other
in whole (they just slaped some diabloesqe wings and halo on it)

all i feel i can do is just name it after the art and call it enough

i dont think its a major enough element where even the original artist
would say "i remember drawing something like that on one of my arts back in the day"

Unread 07-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

This sounds like an "inspired by" scenario. You're not taking the original art, or claiming the robes design as your own, but using design motifs from that piece in a weapon that you drew yourself.

I'd still credit the original artist and say "weapon inspired by x's piece" (and link it), but it feels like you're making your own thing.
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote