Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 07-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Dicitur

Competition in Japan

I'm not sure if this should be here or in the general chat, I apologize if it's in the wrong place. I'm looking for info on cosplay contests in Japan to add to a panel I give on cosplay and fan costuming history, I've found quite a bit on Japanese cosplay etiquette but apart from the World Cosplay Summit I can't find anything about competitions in Japan, all the searches I make only link to major American competitions. Does anyone here know how common cosplay contests are there? I'd especially love it if there are any primary or secondary sources I could link to, either in print or online!
Dicitur is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

From what I've heard from several Westerners who've cosplayed in Japan; well, there aren't really any masquerades like we have in the West. Conventions and events as a whole are totally different. Events where one cosplays are usually only for an 8-hour or shorter day (no 9 am to midnight run for three days straight like we have here at big cons), usually kept to one designated area, and craftsmanship isn't as valued there as it is here (it's much more common to buy instead of make your cosplays in Japan, and with no "You didn't make that? That's awful!" attitude) so there's a lot less incentive for competition. Japan definitely didn't start cosplay masquerades/competitions; doing it as we do here dates back to sci-fi cons from the 60's and 70's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
Syon
leads the crusade

Can't add anything useful to the Japan part, but wanted to point something else out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
From what I've heard from several Westerners who've cosplayed in Japan; well, there aren't really any masquerades like we have in the West. Conventions and events as a whole are totally different.
Not all conventions in western countries (as well as the cosplay competitions) are like the ones in Canada or the US. From my own experiance of german conventions (and from what I heard from friends who visited conventions in other european countries), there are some huge differences.
Unread 07-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
Can't add anything useful to the Japan part, but wanted to point something else out:

Not all conventions in western countries (as well as the cosplay competitions) are like the ones in Canada or the US. From my own experiance of german conventions (and from what I heard from friends who visited conventions in other european countries), there are some huge differences.
As I've also heard, but I mean for Japan specifically- you won't have a convention that's anything like your average convention in North America or Western Europe. You can show up to the event in full costume, you can walk around wherever you want in costume, there's a lot more diversity in things to buy and things to do, etc. If there was an event in NA or Europe that stopped people from getting in if they were already in cosplay or from being allowed to leave one specified area, that event would go down in a flaming trainwreck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
Syon
leads the crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
As I've also heard, but I mean for Japan specifically- you won't have a convention that's anything like your average convention in North America or Western Europe. You can show up to the event in full costume, you can walk around wherever you want in costume, there's a lot more diversity in things to buy and things to do, etc. If there was an event in NA or Europe that stopped people from getting in if they were already in cosplay or from being allowed to leave one specified area, that event would go down in a flaming trainwreck.
Thats true and I didn't want to say, that Japan isn't another step more different in general, when it comes to cosplay and conventions.
Forbidding people, who are already dressed up, to enter a convention wouldn't even work here, as no convention here is located in a hotel or has any space were you can change into costume (I wish they had that...).
Unread 07-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
Dicitur

Thank you for answering! I thought that might be the case, but I wanted to confirm it. And Syon, if you want to share some of your experience in German competitions I'd love to hear about it because whenever I present attendees always want to know more about international cosplay events. Plus, it's just interesting.
Dicitur is offline   Reply With Quote