Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Unread 02-01-2017, 04:57 AM   #1
ToastrUnit
ToasterRepairUnit

Dark Souls - Dragonoid

So, I've been thinking about doing a Dragonoid cosplay from Dark Souls and I've been searching around for tutorials for nearly a year. If anything, I'm even more lost than I was before, so I came here to beg of you all for your cosplaying wisdom.

Alright! that being said, here's what a Dragonoid looks like:

My first thought was that it's similar to a fursuit, so I went around searching on how people made them. I decided to make the face using Monster Clay and resin casting. I have the 3D model, and I scaled it properly so that I could get some measurements. I have the clay so I attempted to sculpt the face. I'm pretty satisfied with the results, but I'll need to change a few things before moving on.

So I've got a head sculpt. Yay!
Now, if you look closely at the dragonoid picture, you'll notice that the dragon head is located higher than a normal person's, which begs the question: How do I make the mask "sit" on top of my head in a stable way? All the tutorials have the mask on the face, so I'm not sure of how I'm supposed to go about it.
This, in turn, makes me wonder how the heck I'll even see out of the thing. If I had been rich, I'd get one of those cameras to see out of the suit, but I'm not. I considered looking out of the mouth, or even find some way of seeing through the neck plates. Would buckram work? or would the texture break the illusion... Or maybe Vinyl?

As for the body, I'm not much better off. I thought I could use some kind of morph suit and sew/glue on some EVA foam for the bone-like torso shape and scales, sew on the fur in the needed spots and paint on the rest of the textures. However, I heard that you couldn't paint on morph suits without it bleeding horribly. There was a tutorial on someone's Ysera cosplay that did just that, but there are very little details on how to actually go about it successfully so I told myself that if it became too complicated, I would just make an armor from the game, since you can have just the Dragonoid head in the game. That's more of a last resort, though.

The last thing I'm wondering is how I'll make the hair spikes. some of them are nearly 7 inches long, and I don't think I can just sew a wig on and apply some kind of magic spray that'll keep its shape forever. It would also need to match the fur color, so that might complicate things.

But yeah, sorry for the wall of text, and thanks in advance! I really want to make this happen and I'm desperate for someone's input on this.
ToastrUnit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #2
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

With the dragon head being higher than any humans', you would have to build yourself some kind of shoulder structure(which can be done out of PVC) but if it was bulky, it would be super hard to hide it under your suit, considering it is skin tight.
(If you would like to see a type of harness I am talking about for the head, look up an1mepanda on Instagram, he's currently working on an Ainz cosplay, from Overlord!)

I would definitely recommend just making the mask sit over your face, that would make things a lot easier for you. Since no one --that I've seen, has cosplayed this lovely outfit from Dark Souls, you would be recognizable even if you aren't 100% accurate. And you will torture yourself if you try to be 100% accurate with this thing because goodness gracious, the dragonoids are ridiculous in design no matter how you look at them.
You also want to be comfortable because you are gonna get very warm very quickly wearing something like this.

With the suit itself, you will likely be safest just making yourself a body suit, adding the textures with stencils(or choosing a very nicely textured fabric that will allow stretch) and then just using EVA/Worbla and magnets to attach all of the accessory pieces to yourself!

I think to make your mask even cooler, having an articulated jaw would definitely boost the "realism" of your suit!
Articulated jaws are always a wonder on fur suits and it always adds more charm!

You can look up all kinds of fur suiting tutorials that will help you in some way but you aren't likely to find exactly what you're looking for.
There are these amazing people that I love watching that do amazing suits and they make tutorial videos!

Here is a link to their YouTube page!
Here is one of the people involved in DreamVisionCreations, there are also tutorials on their page!
This is their shop which has a dragon head kit! But, as with anything involving fur suiting, the kits are expensive.

You may end up just piecing bits and pieces of information together to help yourself but you can always drop a really pretty penny and pay someone to make the head for you so you can focus on making the rest of the suit!
This person makes amazing heads! But they are very, very expensive.

This person makes mask blanks which may help you? But they seem to be busy with work and school so you'd end up waiting quite a bit, if anything!

Quote:
The last thing I'm wondering is how I'll make the hair spikes. some of them are nearly 7 inches long, and I don't think I can just sew a wig on and apply some kind of magic spray that'll keep its shape forever. It would also need to match the fur color, so that might complicate things.
With the hair spikes, you definitely wouldn't want some of them to be 7" long, for sure.
On a real-life scale and also coming off your body, you'd likely have them bumping into a lot of people.
If nothing else, you could always just use feathers? That would definitely hold up a lot better than faux fur.

This suit is very, very complicated so if I had to give a personal recommendation on it, I would say just make the armor that you want to make and possibly do the Dragonoid later on since it's not a super big part of Dark Souls 3?

Regardless of what you choose to do, I wish you luck!

-Various Overwatch stuff
-Purah, LoZ: Breath of the Wild
-Sakizo(This shouldn't be a surprise!)

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s) σf 2017:
-Card Captor Sakura

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
Raleigh Super Con 2017?
Katsucon 2018
Momocon 2018

Last edited by Milky Bubbles : 02-01-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
ToastrUnit
ToasterRepairUnit

Whoa! Thanks for the quick reply!
A shoulder structure would be possible to hide considering the upper body is covered in fur, but you're right in saying making it fit to my face would save me some trouble. It's also the only way an articulated jaw would work. I just didn't want to put it on my face because I didn't want to make modifications to the design to be able to see. I REALLY don't want to make it look cartoony, either, which is why buying a pre-made base was out of the question. having someone else do it for me removes all the fun, anyway. The kit does have useful things I will need, though; like the teeth, fan, eyes and jaw hinge.
That being said, I wouldn't even mind starting over to make it fit my face, though I'd need to make a duct tape dummy. I already have the resin, monster clay, and the eye of an artist, so I might as well use them.

As for the body suit, it sounds interesting, though I'm not sure I understand completely. Would I be making the actual suit piece by piece? Are we talking about painting stencils for the textures? My skills in tailoring are quite lacking, but I'm willing to learn. I have access to a sewing machine, even. I'm also all for the magnet idea, btw.

The feathers aren't a bad Idea. I could probably shape them to be pointy. I thought I could also use foam or something. Some experimenting might be required.

I know it's ambitious and it's almost an obscure part of the game, but it's the part I care about the most. It's what got me to play in the first place. I mean, who cares about silly armors when YOU CAN BECOME GIA- I mean BECOME A DRAGON. Though, the Dark Souls 2 Dragonoid is basically an armor, so that could be a project for later, or if everything I try on this fails horribly.
I really appreciate your help! I've almost been losing too much sleep thinking about this.
Unread 02-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastrUnit View Post
Whoa! Thanks for the quick reply!
A shoulder structure would be possible to hide considering the upper body is covered in fur, but you're right in saying making it fit to my face would save me some trouble. It's also the only way an articulated jaw would work. I just didn't want to put it on my face because I didn't want to make modifications to the design to be able to see. I REALLY don't want to make it look cartoony, either, which is why buying a pre-made base was out of the question. having someone else do it for me removes all the fun, anyway. The kit does have useful things I will need, though; like the teeth, fan, eyes and jaw hinge.
That being said, I wouldn't even mind starting over to make it fit my face, though I'd need to make a duct tape dummy. I already have the resin, monster clay, and the eye of an artist, so I might as well use them.
You're welcome! c:
I always try to help people when it comes to video game stuff(especially with games that I love)!

With the dragon kit(and the other kits they have on their site), you don't have to modify anything to be able to see because they make it so that your eyes are around the tear duct area of the mask! Everything else would be covered with a black mesh to hide your eyes for the illusion!

Here is a video of the dragon kit being shown!

You can always take a base and make it look as realistic as you choose! It just takes a lot of work, especially if you've never made a more "realistic" fur suit before.
Fur suits don't always just look cartoony and cute, I mean, look at these:
Example 1.
Example 2.

People at Anthrocon prove that fur suiting can be as realistic as you want it to be. But like I said, it's gonna take a lot of blood, sweat, and tears on your part.

Of course, everything is built on top of foam so foam will be your best friend for basically every step of this process.
This is what you'll be dealing with before the fur/feathers get added!

Your idea with the shoulder structure is solid but remember: Convention centers don't always have the world's tallest door frames. And if you spend such a large amount of time and money on BECOMING AN ACTUAL DRAGON THAT BELCHES FIRE(and typically confuses invaders as well), you wanna be able to fit in doorways, haha!

Quote:
As for the body suit, it sounds interesting, though I'm not sure I understand completely. Would I be making the actual suit piece by piece? Are we talking about painting stencils for the textures? My skills in tailoring are quite lacking, but I'm willing to learn. I have access to a sewing machine, even. I'm also all for the magnet idea, btw.
Ah, I was saying that you will likely end up piecing information together to help yourself through this project! I apologize, I thought I made that clear. :<
With the body suit, textures are typically painted on with stencils that you can either cut yourself, buy in a store, or you can do your absolute best to try and find some kind of fabric that almost matches the kind of look you want your suit to have. But, like I said, if you choose fabric, it HAS to have stretch(like spandex) to it or you are gonna be one stiff Dragonoid.

Quote:
The feathers aren't a bad Idea. I could probably shape them to be pointy. I thought I could also use foam or something. Some experimenting might be required.
Foam is also a good idea but if you choose to just make the feathers pointy, it will cut off a lot of other steps that the foam would have to go through to look good!
Besides, like I showed above, you are gonna be dealing with A LOT of foam throughout this whole process and it's all gonna call for some experimentation, for sure!

Quote:
I know it's ambitious and it's almost an obscure part of the game, but it's the part I care about the most. It's what got me to play in the first place. I mean, who cares about silly armors when YOU CAN BECOME GIA- I mean BECOME A DRAGON. Though, the Dark Souls 2 Dragonoid is basically an armor, so that could be a project for later, or if everything I try on this fails horribly.
I really appreciate your help! I've almost been losing too much sleep thinking about this.
The Dragonoid is definitely always a favorite of mine because it's so goofy to me, in a way.
Who doesn't love forming a squad of dragon-people and running around in-game?

Kudos to you for wanting to be so ambitious, I am sure you can achieve this!
I just don't want you to burn yourself out over it, either, because that can happen when tackling something with a lot of concepts that you've never dealt with when it comes to a costume.
Like with me and my ridiculous future idea to cosplay the Dancer of the Boreal Valley!
I know that if I tried to make her right now this moment, I would get way too frustrated and give up...which is not what I want, so I am forcing myself to hold out until I am for sure comfortable with trying!

You can absolutely do it but it's gonna be expensive and difficult BUT you have a backup plan, which is fantastic!

-Various Overwatch stuff

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

-Card Captor Sakura

Raleigh Super Con 2017?
Katsucon 2018
Momocon 2018

Unread 02-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
ToastrUnit
ToasterRepairUnit

The only thing that would make me buy that head kit is if it was somehow easy to make modifications to the resin. The head is already out of proportion in order to fit most human heads, and as good of a dragon head as it is, it doesn't even look slightly close to a dragonoid head, so I'd have to modify so many things that i'd probably have to cast it again, considering The end result wouldn't be covered in fur or foam. (Save for the back of the head and the neck)
I know you want to make my life easier, It's just that I'm too obsessed with accuracy to accept a simple pre-made dragon head cast for this character as a substitute.
I already had so much fun sculpting this head, and unless you're telling me it looks like crap or that it's not accurate enough, I would gladly do it all over to make the proper modifications.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound dismissive, especially when I came here asking for help. I guess It hit a nerve or something. ^^'

With that out of the way, i just want to say that I don't mind finding out lots of new concepts, it's just very frustrating when there's little information about them, or when I'm not aware they exist.
Unread 02-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
The only thing that would make me buy that head kit is if it was somehow easy to make modifications to the resin. The head is already out of proportion in order to fit most human heads, and as good of a dragon head as it is, it doesn't even look slightly close to a dragonoid head, so I'd have to modify so many things that i'd probably have to cast it again, considering The end result wouldn't be covered in fur or foam. (Save for the back of the head and the neck)
I know you want to make my life easier, It's just that I'm too obsessed with accuracy to accept a simple pre-made dragon head cast for this character as a substitute.
I already had so much fun sculpting this head, and unless you're telling me it looks like crap or that it's not accurate enough, I would gladly do it all over to make the proper modifications.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound dismissive, especially when I came here asking for help. I guess It hit a nerve or something. ^^'

With that out of the way, i just want to say that I don't mind finding out lots of new concepts, it's just very frustrating when there's little information about them, or when I'm not aware they exist.
Ah, no.
Your sculpted head looks totally fine!
I'm sure once you resin cast it things may make more sense? It's all the same kind of concept, take a resin kit/resin piece/whatever, build on top of it with thin layers of foam(or directly onto the head piece, if you can!), and then cover it in the actual decorations that you want the public to see when you wear the costume!

You aren't going to ever find exact information on something like this because, like I said, Dragonoid's aren't typically things that people want to cosplay. Artorias, Solaire, Smough, or Ornstein are always crowd favorites and those are the only cosplays from the Dark Souls series that I have personally seen.
There is a Dragonoid that has had copslays but it's from Bakugan which does not help you in any way, shape or form.

The only other advice I can even almost offer you that doesn't involve buying pre-made kits is just: Look up fur suiting tutorials, they may not help you with the bodysuit, but they can definitely help you with the head! Maybe not for every step of the way but since you are a pioneer with this cosplay, you're definitely going to have to experiment a lot to see what works and what doesn't!

Just don't stress yourself out too badly aiming for super-close accuracy, I also want this project to remain fun and full of teaching moments for you!
Please keep posting here with your updates and things, I'm interested in what the outcome will be! c:

-Various Overwatch stuff

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

-Card Captor Sakura

Raleigh Super Con 2017?
Katsucon 2018
Momocon 2018

Last edited by Milky Bubbles : 02-03-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Unread 02-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
ToastrUnit
ToasterRepairUnit

Alright, well...Unfortunately, progress will be very extremely slow, so if I find something interesting related to this, I'll post it here. For instance: I did some random looking around and found a solution for the spiky hair. In this video, they said they used polyfill and hand sewn 6 spikes in the back of this head. I'm assuming they used the same fur as the rest of the head, so I'm definitely going to try that first, because it looks fairly easy to do and it's pretty close to what I want.

I also forgot to mention that I'll be making a Zweihander. I don't know if it's just me, but it feels like a pretty iconic weapon from the game. Anyway, I'll be using wood. Yes, I know I can use foam or latex or basically anything else for something this long, but my brother is opening up a wood workshop and I want to have some fun. From what I've seen in some videos, a lot of people use poplar for wooden swords because it's pretty lightweight, it doesn't dent easily and there aren't a lot of knots. It's probably going to still be very heavy but we'll see. If it is, I'll just hit the gym or something.

I took the 3D model and traced the outline in illustrator. everything is 1:1 so I printed it out with acrobat to make a giant poster kind of thing with multiple pages taped together. Each grid square is 2 centimeters because I'm Canadian. According to google, Zweihanders are usually 180cm long, so that's the scale I'm using here. it seemed to match up with the 3D model of the dragonoid, too.
My brother is only going to get his lathe in spring, so I won't do much until then. I could do it by hand, but I'd rather start after this semester has ended anyway. Fun fact: Sword handles are usually oval to feel the edge alignment. I won't be swinging this sword so it really doesn't matter.
Unread 02-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Alright, well...Unfortunately, progress will be very extremely slow, so if I find something interesting related to this, I'll post it here. For instance: I did some random looking around and found a solution for the spiky hair. In this video, they said they used polyfill and hand sewn 6 spikes in the back of this head. I'm assuming they used the same fur as the rest of the head, so I'm definitely going to try that first, because it looks fairly easy to do and it's pretty close to what I want.

I also forgot to mention that I'll be making a Zweihander. I don't know if it's just me, but it feels like a pretty iconic weapon from the game. Anyway, I'll be using wood. Yes, I know I can use foam or latex or basically anything else for something this long, but my brother is opening up a wood workshop and I want to have some fun. From what I've seen in some videos, a lot of people use poplar for wooden swords because it's pretty lightweight, it doesn't dent easily and there aren't a lot of knots. It's probably going to still be very heavy but we'll see. If it is, I'll just hit the gym or something.

I took the 3D model and traced the outline in illustrator. everything is 1:1 so I printed it out with acrobat to make a giant poster kind of thing with multiple pages taped together. Each grid square is 2 centimeters because I'm Canadian. According to google, Zweihanders are usually 180cm long, so that's the scale I'm using here. it seemed to match up with the 3D model of the dragonoid, too.
My brother is only going to get his lathe in spring, so I won't do much until then. I could do it by hand, but I'd rather start after this semester has ended anyway. Fun fact: Sword handles are usually oval to feel the edge alignment. I won't be swinging this sword so it really doesn't matter.
The Zweihander is such an awesome weapon from the game!
Wood is definitely popular when it comes to making props but I have to say: Make sure you check the rules and regulations on props for the convention that you're going to to ensure that you can even have the prop there!

Also yes to poplar, MDF is also great to use for wooden props since it's very soft and easily sanded.
You can also always mix up the media that you use such as covering the wood in Worbla or using thin craft foam sheets for details!

Your blueprint looks fantastic! I wish I had access to a wood working shop...I did while I was in class but now it's so much harder because I graduated but since I am really close with my teachers I can still use the tools(which is not something all students would be able to do so I am lucky).

I love crafting weapons and props so to be totally honest, while I am super excited to see your Dragonoid come to life, I am even MORE excited to see the Zweihander! * v*
I have lots of tips and books on crafting weapons and such so if you run into bumps, talk about it and I'll try my best to help you(since it seems like I am the only one posting here with you, anyway, haha)!

-Various Overwatch stuff

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

-Card Captor Sakura

Raleigh Super Con 2017?
Katsucon 2018
Momocon 2018

Unread 02-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
ToastrUnit
ToasterRepairUnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bubbles View Post
The Zweihander is such an awesome weapon from the game!
Wood is definitely popular when it comes to making props but I have to say: Make sure you check the rules and regulations on props for the convention that you're going to to ensure that you can even have the prop there!

Also yes to poplar, MDF is also great to use for wooden props since it's very soft and easily sanded.
You can also always mix up the media that you use such as covering the wood in Worbla or using thin craft foam sheets for details!

Your blueprint looks fantastic! I wish I had access to a wood working shop...I did while I was in class but now it's so much harder because I graduated but since I am really close with my teachers I can still use the tools(which is not something all students would be able to do so I am lucky).

I love crafting weapons and props so to be totally honest, while I am super excited to see your Dragonoid come to life, I am even MORE excited to see the Zweihander! * v*
I have lots of tips and books on crafting weapons and such so if you run into bumps, talk about it and I'll try my best to help you(since it seems like I am the only one posting here with you, anyway, haha)!

I checked the rules for the one I usually attend before thinking about making the Zweihander ;P it is pretty important to consider, though, so thanks. they say wood is allowed, as long as you don't start swinging the sword.

I don't know that much about weapon crafting, but I know I'll be making it in multiple parts, like the handle, guard and blade. my brother says we'll lock them together with err...a gudgeon? dowel? I don't know the exact word in english. He seemed to be convinced it would work, something about it being 3/4 of an inch.

I heard that I could give a convincing metal effect for wood by sanding it and painting it over and over. or by using grain filler. I didn't realize I could use worbla over wood, that would probably save me some sanding, though I'm not sure how I'd make the transition seamless. unless worbla is so flexible that you can make the seams disappear somehow. (I'm kind of a scrub when it comes to worbla but it seems cool)

Also I just realized I put up the wrong picture for that blueprint. it was obviously not to size since it's a thumbnail so I'll leave a link here for the real thing with the grid if anyone's interested. (it's like 8mbs haha) http://i.imgur.com/vookgKl.jpg

thanks for sticking with me here, it's good to have someone who I can actually bounce ideas with.
Unread 02-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #10
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
I checked the rules for the one I usually attend before thinking about making the Zweihander ;P it is pretty important to consider, though, so thanks. they say wood is allowed, as long as you don't start swinging the sword.

I don't know that much about weapon crafting, but I know I'll be making it in multiple parts, like the handle, guard and blade. my brother says we'll lock them together with err...a gudgeon? dowel? I don't know the exact word in english. He seemed to be convinced it would work, something about it being 3/4 of an inch.

I heard that I could give a convincing metal effect for wood by sanding it and painting it over and over. or by using grain filler. I didn't realize I could use worbla over wood, that would probably save me some sanding, though I'm not sure how I'd make the transition seamless. unless worbla is so flexible that you can make the seams disappear somehow. (I'm kind of a scrub when it comes to worbla but it seems cool)

Also I just realized I put up the wrong picture for that blueprint. it was obviously not to size since it's a thumbnail so I'll leave a link here for the real thing with the grid if anyone's interested. (it's like 8mbs haha) http://i.imgur.com/vookgKl.jpg

thanks for sticking with me here, it's good to have someone who I can actually bounce ideas with.
So my laptop decided to turn off in the middle of me typing my real response to you so I am just gonna give a little summary!

Worbla is fantastic for covering wood and it would definitely make your life a lot easier.
Flexbond is a great product to use on Worbla as a primer, it allows the material to stay flexible even after drying so if you do choose to use Worbla on your wood, I recommend it as a primer!

And a dowel sounds like a good support system for the sword! PVC pipe is also good to use as a core piece for big weapons.

Worbla is easily molded since it can be reheated as many times as you need to(just make sure you don't over heat it) and the seams can be sanded down with a dremel or pressed with scissors!
Of course, some sanding may still be required, but if you do choose to use Worbla, make sure that wherever you lay it down is where you want it because once it cools, it can be a little unforgiving when it comes to pulling the materials apart.

The adhesive side(the shiny side of the Worbla sheet) sticks very well to surfaces, especially when the other surface is more Worbla.

You should definitely check out this book:
Click me!
Kamui's books are fantastic, easy to follow, and full of progress pictures!
I have all of her books in a mix of physical print and PDF's and they can be such a life-saver.

And you're absolutely welcome!
I know what it's like to feel totally clueless with a costume and I couldn't let you yell into the abyss with such an awesome idea!
All I can do is hope that the stuff I've been spouting has been helping you in one way or another!

-Various Overwatch stuff

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

-Card Captor Sakura

Raleigh Super Con 2017?
Katsucon 2018
Momocon 2018

Unread 07-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #11
ToastrUnit
ToasterRepairUnit

Alright, thought I'd give a little update, because I did not in fact give up on this.
So after many months of thinking, searching, and saving up and spending, I've got most of the materials needed to make the cosplay. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, I won't be able to make the Zweihander this year.

So, I'm just going to post a few updates this month on how I plan to do things and how things went. There's only a month left before the con I'm going to and this is the only time I had to work on this, pretty much. I know doing something this early before a con is recipe for disaster, but if things don't work, well...better luck next year. Do not feel obligated to read this. I'll be using this thread kind of like a journal more than anything, but any feedback is appreciated.

For the base of the body:

I thought hard about this. I was originally going to paint a Lycra/spandex suit, but I was way too lazy to make a cardboard double and I suck at painting. When browsing a zentai suit website, I noticed you could print your own design! and so I did. I took the dragonoid's texture files and laid them over a basic Spiderman suit pattern, but the resolution was garbage. I used various textures to try to recreate them in higher quality, making sure to try to mimic every wrinkle and to get the right colors (in CMYK). The file is almost 2GBs! I ordered it a few weeks ago and I'm waiting to get it. (yes, I know about padded underwear/jockstraps when wearing Lycra suits. I ordered the suit with a removable mask and added soles, also.)

For the head:
I'm trying to make a new one that fits my head. I did a duct tape double and started to put clay on it. not exactly enough progress yet to show anything decent. I've ordered many parts from Dreamvision Creations. those include: eyes/eyelids, teeth, feet, tongue, claws, ventilation, V-hinge kit. I've yet to get the fur that I've sent to the wrong address, but I'll be getting that soon. I thought about the rare earth magnets a bit too late, but I think there are some in hardware stores, albeit a bit more expensive. I bought a respirator for when I'll be working with the resin and latex. I'll probably use EVA foam for the horns too. shouldn't be too hard.

For the torso:

Dragonoids have some kind of bony plate on their torso. I was thinking of using one bent piece of EVA foam and one smaller wedge to put on top. it order to make the rib curves, I was going to use a heat gun, stretching the foam over some kind of tube, and maybe a dremel to add some texture. The piece would go over my torso and snap on with magnets, or with 2 straps that would go under the fur on my back and sides.

For the wings, spine and tail:

I noticed that the spine had these protruding pieces that locked into each other, out of which the wings came out. The wings should fit on one piece of EVA foam, with that interlocking plate in the middle. I might put a small PVC pipe in the middle if I find it too weak. At the end of the spine, I'll probably make a cone with EVA foam and cover it with fur. To make the texture, I wanted to use a wood burning tool, but I might have to use a dremel again. I bought gorilla brand contact adhesive and some kwik seal to fill in any seam.

For the feet and hands

I'll try to use the foot covers I ordered from Dreamvision Creations, painting them and adding thin EVA foam for those plates. The foot cover only has 3 toes, since I thought attaching that extra toe would probably make me trip, not to mention the chances of it detaching and getting destroyed anyway.
For the hands: I'll use a technique I saw on the web to glue the claws on my suit.

There's 2 extra claws for the back of the leg. Not sure if gorilla glue will work for lycra. I hope it does, anyway.

Last edited by ToastrUnit : 07-08-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Unread 07-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #12
ToastrUnit
ToasterRepairUnit

Boy did a lot of things happen. Alright, let's see...

Body base:

I received the morph suit! it came out a LOT darker than I had planned, but I can still work with it. It fits me, but I can't seem to bend over without feeling the fabric pull very hard on my back and tearing. There's also this excess fabric on my hips, which is a bit weird, but it's not too noticeable. I can hardly sit on the ground. Thankfully the problem seems to be in the back, which will be hidden by fur and stuff if I choose to jury rig something.

Head:

I sculpted the head with the eyes on, to see if they lined up. I made a hole around the eye to make sure I could see properly and closed it back, drawing a line to where I would drill the hole. I removed the eyes before making the mother mold, of course. I had the "brilliant" idea of making this outside on the porch, when it was getting late. before I had time to realize it, bugs started coming around and flying straight into my hard work, tools, and plastic cups. No major damage was done, since I was able to remove said bugs in time and keep them away to some extent while I worked. it wasn't a fun experience. standing there for 8 hours was like watching paint dry. I'm currently waiting for the outer shell to dry (Ultracal 30)
EDIT:

Finished casting the head! Slush casting is a lot harder than I thought. I didn't make a big enough dam to keep the resin from dripping. My 3rd layer dried almost as instantly as I poured it in, which really sucks. I had to destroy the outer shell because the resin got into the plaster's cracks all around and kept it from opening. Not too heartbroken as I still have the original clay sculpt and the mother mold, intact.

Torso:

Took the good old EVA foam and heated it up, stretching it over a crowbar. it wasn't quite enough though, and I also realized it was too big so I cut it up and carved the rest of the ribs in. I took another piece, carved it too and attempted to glue the top and front parts with gorilla glue. it didn't exactly go well, so I used the dremel to get rid of the seam on one side and used kwik seal to fix everything up. I have them mod podge'd with 2 layers, ready to paint.

Wings/Spine

I traced the design of the wing off of the 3D model on my screen using the distance tool to get the approximate size in maya. Unfortunately, I glued the spine pieces too close together, so it ends on my butt, instead of where the tail should be. I don't think people will notice, though. Haven't made the tail but I figured I could just cut up the fur, sew it and stuff it.

Hands/feet

I cut off the excess resin on the base of the claws. might glue them to the suit with hot glue, though that would probably mean it wouldn't be washable anymore. I'm afraid to even wash this thing, in all honesty.
The feet were made to cover shoes, but I already have soles on my suit, so I might have to cut off the part that's meant to sit on the front shoe flap...thing.

Everything's starting to come together! I'm pretty hyped. I bought ceramic magnets but I think they're not rare earth, I hope they'll be okay for foam parts...

Last edited by ToastrUnit : 07-14-2017 at 02:00 AM. Reason: finished head cast
Unread 07-18-2017, 11:51 PM   #13
ToastrUnit
ToasterRepairUnit

Progress!
Head:

Holy h*ck, lotsa things happened with this but most of these were problems regarding glue. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE GLUE FROM BEHIND RESIN EYES. The backside is not protected and removing the glue will remove the painted iris from the eye. I learned it the hard way, however it's not TOO noticeable. the bottom jaw had too much weight and I had to add elastics on the hinges. The horns were made by just putting aluminium foil around paper sheets and taping it with electric tape. The mask is pretty heavy and I'm hoping I can find something more comfy than EVA foam for padding. Anyway, happy with how that looks!

Torso:

painted and hot glued magnets on. it snaps on, though one of the magnets unsnaps when I praise the sun. Snaps back when I am in a neutral pose.

Wings:

Also painted. really happy with how they look.

Hands:

Glued claws on like it showed on the previous image, HOWEVER I soon realized it put immense pressure on my nails and so I messily removed the glue, put glue under the claw, and put a piece of thin EVA foam around it to hide the mess. Feels MUCH more comfy and the claw isn't too wobbly. Fairly happy with how that looks.

Last edited by ToastrUnit : 07-19-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Unread 08-02-2017, 11:12 PM   #14
ToastrUnit
ToasterRepairUnit

I'm pretty much done.

I covered the horns with thin sheets of EVA foam, since it looked a little cheap before. I put that dark see-through fabric thing all over in the mouth so people don't see my face. I wanted to put those flesh things like on dinosaurs on the sides of the mouth but in the end it just kept it from opening fully...Plus, they folded outwards.
I also tried putting the tongue inside the maw, but it keeps it from closing fully. It was really annoying to deal with.

For the fur on the head, I used a sheet of fur and basically made multiple V cuts on the edges on the top so and sewed them so that it would curve. Then, I made spikes and filled them a bit with...plushie filling or whatever it's called, and sewed them on roughly. Here's hoping they don't fall off. I glued the fur on the top of the resin mask, and the sides kinda tuck inside with Velcro. The back fur attaches itself with the head fur using Velcro. (I ran out of magnets, okay?)

For the back fur, I basically made a V shape pattern, with 2 forks that kinda act like the top of some overalls, and they snap on with magnets on the torso. I also put an elastic on the sides between the torso and the back fur so that it doesn't flop around like it does in the pictures. One of the sides opens up with velcro and a clip just in case (since velcro failed me various times before)
I sewed on a tail on the tip of the V and put magnets on my butt so that the tail would stay aligned.

For the feet, it was a disaster. They're not in this picture but basically since I have no idea how to make complicated patterns, and since absolutely no decent instructions can be found to fur these specific foam dragon feet, I tried using duct tape with my feet and cut it up to get some kind of pattern which I cut onto the fur and sewed up together. Needless to say, it's a horrible mess made with poor sewing and hot glue, and tears. I'll be surprised if it even survives the day.

The neck on the suit has a tendency to roll over itself so I recently glued a bit of fur on it to keep that from happening. Fur was glued to the back of the calves along with a claw, too. Works well.

I'm disappointed in the result. seems...lackluster for the amount of effort and time I put in. The colors I used don't match with the suit much because of how dark it is. The mask itself, I'm kinda happy with, though. Things like teeth and claws would've looked much better and would've been simpler to deal with if I had just made them myself.
The fur was a torture to deal with, and my poor tailoring skills didn't help. It certainly was a learning experience, though.

Whatever cosplay I do next, it probably won't involve fur. And spending like hundreds of dollars worth of materials simply for a mask.

Anyway, I'll be at Otakuthon this weekend. I doubt many people in here will attend but still, see ya there if you do.
Unread 08-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #15
ToastrUnit
ToasterRepairUnit

POST-CON THOUGHTS AND STUFF
This was a blast. I didn't expect so many people to recognize/love my cosplay! Wish I had more pictures right now.

That being said, here's many mistakes and regrets that came with this suit. for instance, the smell. I washed the morph suit before the con, but something went wrong along the way. It was raining that day, and it was HOT. The fan I put in the mask did absolutely nothing to help. I didn't exactly sweat so much as the morph suit took in the humidity and heat. Rather than smelling like sweat, It started smelling strongly of ink and downy, at least from inside the suit. I don't know how much people noticed. I wish I had Febreeze or something then.

Vision was also a problem. I mean, I expected it and didn't mind too much, until I realized the group I was with had to keep hold of my belongings, meaning that if I got separated, there would be no way for me to contact them and meet up again. In the end, they never noticed when I was getting my picture taken, so I always had to look around to find them and run back. I was able to open the mouth to see much better, but it wasn't exactly practical. Trying to shop was also a hassle for the same reasons, plus being distracted by merch.

Claws make it hard to do anything. Typing, eating, adjusting your suit, zipping your suit up or down, putting on other parts of your cosplay, putting on your mask...let's just say it wasn't ideal. I wish I had taken the option for removable gloves when buying the morph suit.

Transport was atrocious. This stuff is heavy, and they wouldn't allow us to leave our cosplay at storage for the night. I had to walk quite a lot and take the bus, sometimes in the rain. The bag I was using was big, but still bent parts and made them rub/squish against each other. a bit of paint came off on the lip area of the mask. I didn't have paint at the time and used markers/makeup to try and hide it. people said they didn't notice in the end.

The cheaper magnets kept coming off. I had to pretty much surround them with glue to make them stick. I should've probably just covered said magnets with a sheet of fabric and glued that. I also learned not to glue things to other painted things...Paint just comes right off. I mean, I knew about it but I didn't know how or where I would put things like magnets until after I painted. So I guess...Figure out how to assemble and glue things before painting. got it.

Well, erm...the jock shell I was using to hide my privates wasn't exactly the most comfortable thing. It made an awkward bulge and I wish I had had some way to fix that. It was probably the biggest source of anxiety when wearing this cosplay.

A big thanks to Milky Bubbles for the tips and for being like....The only person to reply to this thread.