Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 09-01-2017, 04:56 AM   #1
Ashton_Anchors
Queen of the abyss

Atalanta (Fate) wig suggestion?

Hi,

I am planning on displaying Atalanta from Fate/Apocrypha, but am having trouble finding or picking out a wig for her. I know there are some pre-styled ones, but those I assume will run small, or aren't great quality.
I need a wig for a larger head, as mine is 24 inches. I am open to all sites, as long as the wig would fit my head and isn't junky. I do understand that I will have to do some dyeing (unless a pre-styled one is out there that is big enough?), but I don't know what base wig to get.

Thanks in advance!

Ref:

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...20130817133909
Ashton_Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

As someone who also has a relatively large head + thick hair, Arda wigs work really well. There are a bunch of colors and style options, and they're well-established as a quality cosplay brand. A wig that long will be a little on the pricier side just because there's so much hair, but it's well worth it.

You can definitely do the dyeing on that yourself-- the tricky part is that the ends of the hair in the back appear lighter than the rest, so you'll have to get a base wig roughly that color and dye the rest to be darker. There's no way to really lighten/bleach a wig, so you'll have to start with that.
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
xIkuna

I was also planning on cosplaying Atalante! But yeah, her hair is madness. There is a lot going on. I'm figuring you've seen this wig, but I figured I'd send it your way anyways as a last resort for you: http://www.ezcosplay.com/fate-apocry...splay-wig.html
I'm pretty sure that this is EZ cosplays actual wig, meaning that they didn't steal the photo and add their logo on it, they've had the wig listed since the anime came out. It looks super nice, and I know EZ cosplay is one of the better Chinese cosplay sites out there. It doesn't say anything about the size so you'd be taking a risk- but I thought I'd send it your way since that was the wig I was going to buy~

Cosplays:
Young Ana Amari- Overwatch
Miu Iruma- New Danganronpa Version 3
Sansa Stark- Game of Thrones (Season 7)

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #4
Ashton_Anchors
Queen of the abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIkuna View Post
I was also planning on cosplaying Atalante! But yeah, her hair is madness. There is a lot going on. I'm figuring you've seen this wig, but I figured I'd send it your way anyways as a last resort for you: http://www.ezcosplay.com/fate-apocry...splay-wig.html
I'm pretty sure that this is EZ cosplays actual wig, meaning that they didn't steal the photo and add their logo on it, they've had the wig listed since the anime came out. It looks super nice, and I know EZ cosplay is one of the better Chinese cosplay sites out there. It doesn't say anything about the size so you'd be taking a risk- but I thought I'd send it your way since that was the wig I was going to buy~
I had thought about it (and now know Amazon's seller stole this wig), since it looks nice, but I had been worried about size. I might check out what the sale price is on it though (EZ Cosplay had a 20 percent off sale last month when I bought my Astolfo cosplay, so it might be cheap) and if it is cheap enough, I might get it and see. I have a feeling dyeing will be a pain, so I have been crossing my fingers that a good brand carried it lol. But it seems the normal stores are only going for Astolfo, Mordred, or Jeanne, so I sadly think this and ebay sellers might be it. And I trust EZ Cosplay more, at least they make their own stuff.

@starsofcassiopeia I did see some on Arda I think would work, but I am terrified of the amount of effort I'll have to do to untangle the wig after dyeing it. I tried adding wefts to a Jareth Long, and had to spend 2 hours untangling it. And all I did was pin the wig up so I could sew the wefts in. I think Venus would be my choice if it comes to it, but the bangs might be too floofy. I had kind of been hoping Epic had one,since Epic makes their wigs so they don't tangle as easily, but what I saw was too long. And I don't know how well their wigs hold up to dyeing.
Unread 09-01-2017, 10:39 PM   #5
xIkuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton_Anchors View Post
I had thought about it (and now know Amazon's seller stole this wig), since it looks nice, but I had been worried about size. I might check out what the sale price is on it though (EZ Cosplay had a 20 percent off sale last month when I bought my Astolfo cosplay, so it might be cheap) and if it is cheap enough, I might get it and see. I have a feeling dyeing will be a pain, so I have been crossing my fingers that a good brand carried it lol. But it seems the normal stores are only going for Astolfo, Mordred, or Jeanne, so I sadly think this and ebay sellers might be it. And I trust EZ Cosplay more, at least they make their own stuff.
I think they are having a 15% off sale for september, I also saw the 20% off when I was tempted to buy the Atalanta cosplay they have listed haha. Yeah, it's a bummer that Atalanta hasn't really been featured at all in the anime just little scenes. But, if you're planning on buying the costume, EZ's looks nice, but FM-anime's looks SO GOOD: http://www.fm-anime.com/cosplay/cost...y-costume.html
fm also makes all their own stuff, and it's soooo high quality~

Cosplays:
Young Ana Amari- Overwatch
Miu Iruma- New Danganronpa Version 3
Sansa Stark- Game of Thrones (Season 7)

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2017, 11:25 PM   #6
Ashton_Anchors
Queen of the abyss

I did end up getting the EZcosplay wig, and am crossing my fingers it goes big enough. If not, I do hope I can just add elastic. I know how to hand sew enough, I think, and it should stay. I just do not really want to deal with the dye. I will still be making my own ears though.

As for the costume, I do plan on making it myself. I think it's within my ability--I did make my Jeanne costume, and Atalanta actually looks easier to do. Minus her gloves. The worst thing is the design on the front, and that's mostly an issue of how to get it to not fray.

However, I do agree that the costume fm is selling is gorgeous, and would totally get it if I wasn't making it myself. If I think I'm not going to finish in time, I will probably get it. I had briefly thought about the EZCosplay one yesterday lol, but I really want to keep/improve my sewing skills, so making it is a must.
Unread 09-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
Scunosi

That does look like an incredibly tricky wig just due to the colors. I know you've already ordered one, but wouldn't another option be to get the base color in the dark blonde and then just get some long wefts in the light color and blend them? I imagine it'd be a lot easier to dye the tops of the light wefts darker than to dye the whole top of a lighter wig instead. And you'd get a fuller wig for it, though she doesn't look like she has that full of hair actually.

But also I've never dealt with dyeing and wefts myself so maybe I'm wrong.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote