Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 10-10-2017, 04:02 AM   #1
sadievic
Also known as Fizzlecat

Cuphead and Mugman head help

Hi!

I recently just got the videogame Cuphead, and I love it. Me and my husband want to cosplay as Cuphead and Mugman. We know exactly what to do with the rest of the character but what were still debating on what to do is how to construct their heads. I am thinking of making the heads out of wire and plaster strips. Howevere would any of you have any suggestions or advice on how to make the heads? Many thanks in advance, will post reference image below.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...B8_400x400.jpg
sadievic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
Penlowe

chicken wire is sharp and adds a surprising amount of weight. While I love plaster gauze, again it's heavier than you might realize. Luckily, these heads are perfect candidates for good ol' paper mache.

I'd use corrugated cardboard for the saucer portion, a tiny bit of paper mache on the rims & raised edges and it's pretty much done.

The cups I'd go with the old 'cover a balloon or ball in paper mache' method. BONUS: You need two half circles to create two cups, so you can actually get both cups out of one beach ball paper mache session. More cardboard to fill out the cup handles and close the tops and the structure is done.

GENERAL NOTE ON MAKING HEADS:
This is a head, which should be scaled to the character (within reason) not your natural head. Often people start with the measurements of their own head then don't like the results because the proportions are all wrong. You can comfortably wear something that extends 6" beyond your shoulder width without too much issue. Bigger than that you need a handler.
This is not a hat, therefore the weight should be resting on your shoulders. You might need a headband or padding inside it to secure it from bobbling or so that your eye holes turn with your face.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
sadievic
Also known as Fizzlecat

Thanks again! Sounds much more simpler.
Unread 10-10-2017, 08:10 PM   #4
sadievic
Also known as Fizzlecat

Ahhh thanks so much! Such a perfect method
Unread 10-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
djlemma

I would probably make these out of EVA foam. The 1/4" thick stuff that comes on a roll to use as floor mat would end up being fairly lightweight, and since I've used it for construction before I imagine it would be pretty straightforward to work with. I also already own some contact cement, a couple knives, and a heat gun.

Do you know what you're going to do about being able to see? Are you going to cut holes in the 'pupils' of the eyes and fill them in with black mesh or something so that you can see? Having good vision at a convention is pretty important.