Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #46
ardhri
Falcon in the Dive

I just bought pretty much my entire Yukari costume at the local thrift shop. Pink sweater, white shirt, black skirt. Way too much trouble to make myself as my skills suck. But I don't plan on entering it into any contests so I'm good. It's a for-fun costume for comfy con days.

I see nothing wrong with thrift store shopping. They can be a great source of random costume pieces, and sometimes even pieces you can take apart to use as a pattern for the one you're making yourself. I also like the thrift store shoes - I'd rather spray paint and destroy a $2 pair of shoes than a $20 pair from elsewhere!
Evelyn (The Mummy 1999)
Haru (Persona 5)
ardhri is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #47
Starlightslk
Film Geek

I think there's nothing wrong with getting items from a thrift store just so long as you don't claim that you made them.

I love thrift stores, most of my shoes/shoe bases come from them (I just got a pair of awesome boots for my new Ran (Detective Conan) cosplay for $12 and everywhere else would have cost me at least $30-$40 for similar boots). They have so much useful stuff there! I've found several basic shirts, pants and skirt bases that I altered at thrift stores for some of my cosplays. It's so much better to get a dress shirt for $1-$4 as opposed to making it, taking many hours to do so and spending more than that just on fabric, or buying a new one for at least $20.

I feel that it is silly to make certain things unless they are un-findable or super expensive. Especially things like shoes, socks, and simple pants; and thrift stores are a treasure-trove of all sorts of goodies Once I even found a briefcase at one that looked just like one of my character's school bag, which let me have a bag to carry my stuff in while at the con but that worked with the cosplay. (tho I do wanna mention that socks are one of the few things I insist on buying new for hygienic reasons ).

I helped a friend making her 1st cosplay by taking her to a local thrift store to find most of the components and all she had to do was alter the shirt (which I helped guide her, since she's not very good at sewing, but was willing to learn ).

Probable Con Schedule: Katsu, PAX East, Dragon*con, Bakuretsucon...always subject to change

Upcoming Cosplays: Mami(Madoka Magica), Morrigan(Darkstalkers)var, a Secret, &...?

"Immortality is a fantasy. Life is short, so we should take care of it. The shorter the life is, the more fight we have to make." ~Hatori Heiji (Detective Conan)

Inuyasha is a 200-year-old bantling and Sesshoumaru has a security fluffy.
Starlightslk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 01:13 AM   #48
thetollofdeath
Awesome McAwesomesauce

Blah blah blah don't try to enter a cosplay contest with your thrifted cosplay or claim that you made it or you WILL be hunted down by a hired assassin blah blah blah blah.

Heck. The only thing that will be handmade in my Yoite cosplay is his scarf. And /I'm/ not even the one making that! (I forgot how to knit and just fail at it.)

It can look great. It can look bad. It really depends. But it you do it... Put effort in finding the BEST and MOST FITTING peices for you cosplay. Effort is great thing to put into something like this.
Gilbert Beilschmidt (Prussia), Axis Powers Hetalia.
thetollofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #49
Mirai Noah
is a Newtype

I definitely use thrift stores as a resource for cosplay material. And ditto what everyone else said. :P
Fanime
Anime Expo
SacAnime Summer
Mirai Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #50
StarAssassin
Hyaa-hoooooo!

Especially for easier or more casual looking cosplays like Tsuna, Luffy, or casual versions of characters, Goodwill and thrift stores all the way ^^
Trickster!Jake (Homestuck)
Armin Arlelt (Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan)
Young Link (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina/Majora)

StarAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #51
shmac

I'm completely stoked to make a run to a thrift store soon, considering I'm doing a Death Note group with my friends.

Even more, not just Death Note. I'm sure once I get there I'll go crazy and want to buy everything for future cosplays.

Bwahahaha sheets and amateur sewing skills. >]

In other words, I have no problem with it. :] What's cosplay without some creativity and making the most out of something?
shmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #52
pocky_penguin66
Iced-CFVY

Thrift stores are a godsend if you want to find something and just adjust. It's not cheating at all, especially if your costume can be made from random articles of clothing. Heck, my friend is cosplaying as Death the Kid and found her suit at a good will for ONE FREAKING DOLLAR. An ENTIRE suit, jacket + pants. It was a little long on her, but hey...ONE DOLLAR. Seriously, you can't go wrong with that!

As already noted, if its not allowed in a contest then that's bad, m'kay? XD
Newt Scamander-FBAWTFT(100%)|Pidge-Voltron(20%)|Neo-RWBY (100%)|Mabel Pines-Gravity Falls(100%)|MC-Mystic Messenger(100%)|Lucoa-Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid(40%)|Fafnir-Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid(50%)
Next con:ACEN2017!
tumblr
pocky_penguin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #53
Nékko_Sama
Lasarythe

I love thrift stores!

Those thrift pieces are great for a beginner at sewing! You can alter them to fit your needs and also deconstruct them to make patterns and try them yourself. I'm a beginner too, so I find thrift store useful. It's kind of like giving life to recycled clothing. I believe it's better to shop stuff used to prevent waste. I've been working on finding the pieces for so many simple costumes like San from princess Mononoke. Getting old sheets can make so many things. I think I'm rambling lol sorry. I think thrift stores are awesome.

Last edited by Nékko_Sama : 10-01-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Nékko_Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #54
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

I'm actually planning to do this sometime soon; as I'll be looking into getting a guy's dress shirt, and tie maybe (if I can find it in the right colour) to modify it into Blue Angel's top. I'll be needing to cut off the sleeves and trim the top down to match the design of the shirt, then I'll need pink bias tape for the trim.
I lucked out finding earrings that were exactly like the ones I needed for Rin so I grabbed them.
Overall I've had some hit and misses with thrift shops, but it never hurts to look. The only time I don't look at thrift stores if I can buy something at a decent price and wear as is, so that way I don't ruin a brand new top or jacket or something.

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #55
Indiana Jolly
INDIANA JOLLY

One of my best costumes (or one of the ones I'm most proud of anyway) was done almost completely from a thrift store. For my Broadway Beast; the pants were a deep purple corduroy that I found in the women's section, and I simply sewed buttons on the front to simulate a flap. The satin shirt was also found in the women's section, and I simply sewed some lace ruffles around the cuffs and collar to make it look more Victorian. The cape? Another thrift store buy -it's actually a graduation robe that I cut and altered with some gold trim, and my sash was made out of the discarded material. The rest of the costume was pure make-up and appliances so it was a huge benefit to cut costs and find all those pieces in a thrift store. Nothing wrong with it at all!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3570298/

Last edited by Indiana Jolly : 10-02-2017 at 09:08 PM. Reason: broken link
Indiana Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2017, 12:32 AM   #56
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

All of us have cosplayed from thrift store items at least once in our lives, some of us despite already have learned to sew from scratch still can't stop falling in love with good thrift store clothing pieces that perfectly work for cosplay, so there's nothing wrong with it.

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2017, 02:31 AM   #57
GracefulNightingale
Witcheress

Honestly? I'm surprised to see this thread resurface, lol! But what everyone has already stated, using thrift store clothing to save time with cosplay is never a bad thing, as long as you're cosplaying casually.

Typically I've noticed that the more meticulous and serious you are about cosplay, the less you'll be willing to purchase pre-made items for costumes that you're wanting to compete with. But my boyfriend is a prime example of the total antithesis of this. He closet-cosplayed and purchased items for his YMCA group at Dragoncon a few years back, and he and his buddies went around dancing together and had the best time ever! They attracted all sorts of attention, and no one gave two shits that their costumes were store bought. They had a blast and that's what mattered the most.

My point is to do what you love. Enjoy the experience of cosplaying and just have fun! But if you're looking to compete with a costume, I'd recommend taking the extra time.

"Giving up is what kills people. When you refuse to give up, you transcend your humanity."- Alucard

2017 Conventions:
Momocon
Worldcon 75
Dragon*Con
AWA
GracefulNightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2017, 10:19 PM   #58
Rikki chan
Otaku Gamer Disney Geek

I'm a thrift store cosplayer myself so I don't see anything wrong with that. I don't touch sewing machines due to the fact that I have a visual impairment. I don't even touch hot glue guns. If thrift stores didn't exist, I would probably only do closet cosplays.
Mal from Descendants
Yui from SAO
Minnie Mouse

On hold
Kairi from KH2
Madoka Kaname
Eternal Sailor Moon
Reynn from World of Final Fantasy
Princess Elena
Miraculous Ladybug
Princess Merida
Musa from Winx
Sage from Star Darlings
Songstress Yuna

Planned
Rapunzel
Princess Leia
Hermione Granger
Lugia Gijinka
Zelda from Skyward Sword
Fawn from Tinkerbell
Rikki chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #59
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They

I don't consider it cheating or lazy. (Unless of course, you try to enter a craftsmanship contest.) In fact, thrifting can often be harder than working from scratch in a sense, even with items that you'd think would be easy to find.

Moon Moxxi: Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Anastasia: Anastasia
Saul Goodman: Breaking Bad
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses