Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 10-06-2017, 04:03 AM   #1
SSJ3MJ

Critique my sword: Part two

Well my con has come and gone and I went and weathered my sword. Here are the before and after pics. Tell me what you guys think. Feel free to critique my outfit if you like.

Before: http://fav.me/dbez4ae

After: http://fav.me/dbml7l8
SSJ3MJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
walkerofdarknes

Well, my first thought was "bad ass". I will say that the weathering on it doesn't show up that readily on the pics...it's either too light a weathering or too bright a flash from the photographer. I can certainly see some on the short blades near the handle, and on the back edge (pointing towards your head), but I can't make out any on the front edge. I would think that unless you've always gone to the trick part of the blade and pulled out a spare weapon, the front edge should have at least a little mottling. Even resharpening the blade would still let a little wear show.
walkerofdarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

Great start. I don't know how you want it to look. If you want it to be still new and shining looking then, great. I think there's more definition on some of the edges that gives it a fuller, metallic look. It looks more real than just a prop from the first one. But it doesn't look really weathered.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
SSJ3MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy_girl View Post
Great start. I don't know how you want it to look. If you want it to be still new and shining looking then, great. I think there's more definition on some of the edges that gives it a fuller, metallic look. It looks more real than just a prop from the first one. But it doesn't look really weathered.
I mostly weathered the hand guard, the bolts on the side blade, I the rest a little but I guess i didn't use enough black paint. I as trying to get a balance with it being weathered and not take away too much of the shine.
SSJ3MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #5
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Ok, I have to start with your cosplay! Damn, I love it! I love the pose, and I love your interaction with the prop; you look really natural. And honestly, if I hadn't read your description that the prop was actually one of the keyblades from Final Fantasy I actually believed it to actually be part of Eyeless Jack's character.
As for the critique of the blade, honestly it's a bit hard to tell, because of the image quality and lighting. If you don't mind me saying, I browsed through the rest of your gallery with the EJ cosplay and yes, I'll agree with everyone else. It does look more weathered than from the images from your first post.
It really depends on how weathered you want it to be. I took a quick look of the keyblade on Google and from what I can't tell it's very close. However, if you want it to look more realistic (ie; as realistic as real world materials can be) I'd say continue adding the shadows/highlights as you were before. You mentioned to gypsy_girl that you didn't want to take away the shine, but if you're making a weathered looking weapon, I'd say you might have to sacrifice the shine for realism.
If you want realism, continue the work you were doing. If you want accuracy, add some minor tweaking if you like, but otherwise leave as is. There have been many times where I've seen others take creative liberty with accessories, costumes etc. and it they look fantastic despite it not looking accurate to the reference material (which is fine!).

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 10-11-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2017, 01:56 AM   #6
DanArt

Sorry Deviantart is kind of a hassle to load via my current connection

Love to view it but could you provide a demo on this website or through other means. if you need a small website built to show things off I can do that for people really fast. Really getting into is another thing. Otherwise I wish you best and your sword.
DanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2017, 01:49 AM   #7
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

I saw the original post before you weathered it. I have to say, the detail went a LONG way. This looks really really good.
-Created Character [SAO Hollow Realization]
-Cloud [Dissidia Final Fantasy]
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote